How old were you when you were diagnosed?

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 35 8.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • 22-30

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 52 13.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 37 9.4%

• Total voters

garethnpc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nearly 6 years ago now, May 2007. 27 Years old, had thirst and weight loss problems for weeks. Went to the GP on a friday night who instead of letting me go to a planned party, sent me straight to hospital because my BG reading was " almost off the scale". Stayed in over the weekend, watched my beloved Man Utd lose to chelsea in the FA cup final on one of those ridiculously overpriced pay as you go mini tv`s, and was diagnosed with type 1 on the monday. I knew my weekends could only get better... :)

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Type 1 diagnosed when I was 27, so that was 43 years ago!.

Not aware of any strong symptoms but a medical check for a new job found sugar in the urine, but I had a family history since my sister got it aged 3. Possible trigger was stress of a new job, moving house and getting married all at the same time :)

Clare181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 5 months pregnant with my first child and I was diagnosed on the morning of my 21st birthday.

60yearson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 10. I was trying on last year's summer clothing. Everything was too large on me. My mother took me to the doctor the next day because I had obviously lost so much weight. I can remember it as if it happened yesterday: it was 61 years ago!

Hopeful Alfie

Five years ago when I was 79 (How time flies!) Type 2. Now still on diet control and trying to keep it that way :D Seems it can be done with a bit of determination - I had to give up the (far too many) choco bars, 4 sugars in tea, gooey cakes etc etc. Seemed a wise option as I ddn't fancy the ultimate alternative. Now taken to Sweetex in tea (4!!), Splenda in cooking and 2 squares of (thin) choc bar daily. However, over the last 12 years or so I developed proximal neuropathy and now find walking is quite painful. My GP didn't seem bothered about it or even to know much about it, but then HE hasn't got it ! I found useful info on the web which said there is no cure for it, tablets are available to ease the hurt but they could have nasty side effects, so the only option is to keep walking as much and as often as possible. So I smile and do just that, thinking I am damned lucky to have reached my present age :D

callyclan

I was 35 when diagnosed with T2, had ALL the possible symptoms! Now aged 47 it looks like I have to go onto injections which is scary! There was no family history but being overweight & having a sweet tooth seemed to have triggered it off. Exercise, good sleep, low stress & good diet all help, as you might expect! Happy Easter everyone!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
60yearson said:
I was 10. I was trying on last year's summer clothing. Everything was too large on me. My mother took me to the doctor the next day because I had obviously lost so much weight. I can remember it as if it happened yesterday: it was 61 years ago!
I think that makes you 'possibly' the person on this forum who has been Type 1 the longest .. 61 years. Makes my 43 yrs seem quite pathetic :)

Or maybe there is someone else out there who can beat 61 years?

melsavage

Type 1 (or 'Juvenile' back then) at age of 6 - I'm 38 this year. Was discharged from hospital on Christmas Eve, I remember opening lots of selection packs of chocolate & watching them all disappear :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App