Lantus Solostar / Novorapid mix

kwh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I am 24 years old, and have been Type 1 diabetic since I was 18 months old. I have pretty much been on the same insulin system my whole life. For a long long time I used Mixtard, when that stopped being made I switched to Novomix 30 Penfill.

My control, according to the doctors, is great, my HbA1C and everything is fine and always has been aside from a blip when I was 14. I have the odd bad hypo but this is mostly my fault because I'm 24 and I like to go drinking with my friends and forget that I'm diabetic (!).

My doctor now wants to change my insulin. He says I should move onto Lantus Solostar, a single dose at night before bed, followed by Novorapid whenever I have a meal. I'm really nervous about switching because I am very much in my comfort zone with what I have used all my life (2 injections a day), and am unsure about the possible side effects- more hypos, less hypos?

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya kevin,
i changed to basal bolus by choice over a yr ago, id been begging to go on it as dr thought my hba1c was good at 7.4 but i was yoyoing n wanted better,
ive found it great for me, its a personal choice for you, if everythings working good i can see why u dont want to change,
if we can help anymore plz ask :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Kevin, I was exaclty the same approx 2-3 years ago when I did the big switch, Iw as well in my comfort zone, good Hba1c results and although I had hypo's I mostly had good warnings etc. I had to change as they stopped making the insulin I was using and I had no idea there was life outside my little diabetic world! :lol: Best decision of my life, injecting with every meal is life changing and gives you much better control, I have learned to carb count and can pretty much eat what I want, when I want and will (hopefully) be getting a pump soon - I couldn't have done any of that if I had stuck to the old routine!!

Change can be hard, I get that, :D but if you feel like you can, then go for it!

All the best

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
hi i just changed from novomix to lantus/novorapid about a month ago so went for 2 injections to 4 even though its been harder i think its been worth it as i wasnt getting good readings and they have been much better since the switch.
i've heen diabetic since i was 12 im 19 now and my doctor has been trying to get me to change for the last 2 years but i didnt feel ready
i do get more hypos but in general my control is better as before i seemed to be high all the time
take care
Angela

Billietobin

Angela I have been diabetic since I was 3 I am 15 now and currently on 5 injections a day, my doctor wants to put me on another injection due to being a teenager and periods send my bloods all over the place the only thing is I have really bad moments every morning for school I do 2 injections but DON'T have breakfast I now I should but I'm in a rush also during lunch at school I don't want to leave my mates and tend not to do a lunch time injection at 12:15 I know I should but its differcult but I always make sure that when I get home I do it. I'm not a confindent person and get shy talking to new people even if its my doctors but could you help me please do you recon that they would let me change my lunch time injection to later it would be so much easier advice please xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
Hi, are your taking lantus for your background and novo rapid when you eat? I was the same as you when I was at school was really shy about my diabetes and not a lot of my friends knew I had it, have you heard of an insulin pump? I've been on a pump since last May and I find it much better, it has given me more confidence with my diabetes, feel free to send me a private message and I'll try to help xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App