Need inspiration!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there I'm 23, had type 1 for 18 years now but haven't looked after myself for years until recently! When my sugar levels are good everything is great but now and again I have "lapses" as I have such a sweet tooth it's unreal! So I eat sugary snacks but then feel bad about it after so basically I'm going round in circles!!

What I really want to know is how do you all combat the diabetes blues as in sure you've all at some point felt like giving into temptation! Any advice would be great :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
Hey I'm 22 and have had diabetes for just under 9 years, I think it's normally to feel down at times about diabetes and you should allow yourself treats at times, do you use carb counting? X

Lazymike

I'm going through it myself at the min so understand how you feel but not able to give you advice as I need advice too but I'm sure you will get some great ideas on here as there are some great people on here I hope you find what works for you soon and if I find anything I'll be sure to come back and let you know all the best
Michael x

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey thanks, it's just good to know I'm not alone in feeling down! I've heard a lot about carb counting but not to sure how to do it. I've got doctors appointment for a check up soon so I'll ask! :) xx

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
You should Deffo look into carb counting, it lets you work out how much insulin you need for what your eating so allows you to be much more flexible with what you eat :) x

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carb counting is tricky in the begining but worth sticking with. It is life changing. I no longer dread looking at the screen when testing as all the erratic highs and lows have stopped. Still get the odd unexpected reading but nothing to get alarmed about. It has made living with diabetes infinitely easier for me. Best of luck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seriously_Sax1989 said:
What I really want to know is how do you all combat the diabetes blues as in sure you've all at some point felt like giving into temptation! Any advice would be great :)

Denying yourself something makes you want it all the more IMHO, perhaps by having a small treat each day or every other day may stop you from binging on sugary snacks, you could have this after you evening meal as this will stop it impacting on your bg as much as eating between meals, you'll still have to bolus for the sweet/desert.

Take a look in the low-carb food section of the forum and you may find something sweet that will stop your cravings but won't effect your bg levels as much, I don't have a sweet tooth so don't crave sweet things, however my indulgence is a bag of XL Cheese Crisps or a pastie but try and keep these within limits :)

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'll definitely look into carb counting as I have read a lot of posts on here and on Facebook about much better its making bg management. Thanks everyone x