Problem with friend over my diabetes

titchy_lou

Re: Ignorance of non-diabetics

Thanks for your replies. If I could edit the title of this thread, I would, as 'ignorance of non-diabetics' isn't exactly what I meant.

I know you can 'add a bit more insulin' but I've only just started on insulin and I'm still trying to get my diabetes under control. I don't want to take risks yet. Especially with my grandad. And just to be clear, I'm not still grieving his death, I disowned him a couple of years before he died...

*sigh*

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin

Lucyturner

I completely understand where your coming from, even before I was diagnosed which was fairly recently if one of my bridesmaids had told me they couldn't do something on the hen night due to health reasons then I would have accepted that as I would never ask someone to put there health at risk for me. It's not like you have told her you are not going to be at the wedding it's one party of the hen weekend and you have been very sensible about it. In regards to a previous comment cutting the cake at the wedding is slightly different to spending a whole day making and tasting chocolate.

Lucy

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It's not really. It's still something the OP can't participate in isn't it? That was the problem with the chocolate tasting day.

I went on a hen weekend once and we went to a whiskey distillery. I don't like whiskey so didn't take part in the tasting, I just went to have a laugh with the rest of the group.

As I said I think there are issues on both sides. Sometimes we have to accept that people are going to do thing that we can't because of our illness but that's the thing, it's our illness not theirs. Yes the bride should have accepted the compromise offered by the OP I did concede that point in my other post.

In subsequent posts we hear that the OP won't know anyone else at the day and that's a reason why she doesn't want to go to the day.

Maybe I am just too easy going but I really dont see that this is something to fall out over especially when they were obviously quite good friends as the OP was going to be a bridesmaid.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

titchy_lou

I understand that I can just take extra insulin, but as I've said in previous posts, I am anxious to do this, after seeing my grandad and other people who do it, ruin their lives. My diabetes also isn't under control yet, so I don't see why I should put a strain on it, just for her.

Please don't get me wrong, in everyday life, I have very good self discipline. I dot there most fats while my mum and sister stuff their faced with chocolate, but a whole day will make me feel down because I won't be able to join in in the activities or conversation.

I have had a look on the website and its not just tasting, it's designing your own chocolate to take home, taste testing and a few other bits. It also says spectators aren't allowed, which is something I'd have to look into. And it's all Belgian chocolate, no diabetic or dark.

I don't want to fall out over this, hence why I asked to meet up and talk. The bride doesn't want to though, so I don't see what else I can do...

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

titchy_lou said:
I'm not sure how far my depressive state relates to my diabetes, but something diabetes-related has tipped me over the edge tonight, and I actually don't know what to do or say anymore...

I said that I would just do a bit of sightseeing while they were doing the chocolate making, and would enjoy the rest of the weekend doing whatever with them...her reply was "can't you have some chocolate and inject a little more insulin". My grandad killed himself a year ago, as a result of abusing his body, I'm not going to kill myself.

As a result of me standing up for myself, my 'friend' is now implying she doesn't want me to be a bridesmaid.

I do understand that I could join in with the chocolate day, but I'm REALLY struggling with my everyday diabetes, without having to think about being naughty, and I shouldn't have to do something that's only going to make me feel more down about my diabetes. It's not as if I've said I can't go at all :'(

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

Personally ... I'd give this friend a wide berth from now on. It's not for her to understand your diabetes, but she is supposedly your friend so she should at least try to understand YOU and accept that you'd find the chocolate factory trip a bit challenging. You haven't been stroppy about it, you've offered to do some sightseeing elsewhere and meet up later so it's not like you're moaning about the chocolate trip being organised in the first place. And she had no right to suggest that you eat chocolate and increase your meds just to please her. Nope. And if she doesn't want you to be a bridesmaid now, then I'd definitely be reassessing that friendship and what it's based on. I know it's customary now for the bride to have things all her own way on her big day, but nevertheless, I'd draw the line at having to alter my meds just to suit a friend. Be your own best friend and choose your friends wisely. Real friends won't ask you to do anything that you don't feel comfortable with.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

titchy_lou said:
I don't want to fall out over this, hence why I asked to meet up and talk. The bride doesn't want to though, so I don't see what else I can do...

Are you certain the word "friend" applies here?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, Titchy_lou , :)

I would think your friend will soon come to you with a full apology of being a little selfish and thoughtless.

Hopefully this could be just a little tiff or something like it.

Your friend may also ask you for alternative ideas for that weekend.

I agree with you in total and Bath has many great shops and beautiful places to visit.

It is a bit like asking a ex-alcoholic to come to a pi** up in a brewery.

Anyway a friend should be one of the "nicest things" things you have.

Roy. :)

titchy_lou

Squire Fulwood said:
titchy_lou said:

Are you certain the word "friend" applies here?

I'm not sure, I'm just hoping it does...

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

titchy_lou

GraceK said:
titchy_lou said:
I'm not sure how far my depressive state relates to my diabetes, but something diabetes-related has tipped me over the edge tonight, and I actually don't know what to do or say anymore...

I said that I would just do a bit of sightseeing while they were doing the chocolate making, and would enjoy the rest of the weekend doing whatever with them...her reply was "can't you have some chocolate and inject a little more insulin". My grandad killed himself a year ago, as a result of abusing his body, I'm not going to kill myself.

As a result of me standing up for myself, my 'friend' is now implying she doesn't want me to be a bridesmaid.

I do understand that I could join in with the chocolate day, but I'm REALLY struggling with my everyday diabetes, without having to think about being naughty, and I shouldn't have to do something that's only going to make me feel more down about my diabetes. It's not as if I've said I can't go at all :'(

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

Personally ... I'd give this friend a wide berth from now on. It's not for her to understand your diabetes, but she is supposedly your friend so she should at least try to understand YOU and accept that you'd find the chocolate factory trip a bit challenging. You haven't been stroppy about it, you've offered to do some sightseeing elsewhere and meet up later so it's not like you're moaning about the chocolate trip being organised in the first place. And she had no right to suggest that you eat chocolate and increase your meds just to please her. Nope. And if she doesn't want you to be a bridesmaid now, then I'd definitely be reassessing that friendship and what it's based on. I know it's customary now for the bride to have things all her own way on her big day, but nevertheless, I'd draw the line at having to alter my meds just to suit a friend. Be your own best friend and choose your friends wisely. Real friends won't ask you to do anything that you don't feel comfortable with.

I have been hoping its just 'bridezilla' talking, rather than my actual friend. :p

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

izzzi said:

I would think your friend will soon come to you with a full apology of being a little selfish and thoughtless.

I agree with you in total and Bath has many great shops and beautiful places to visit.

Why should the bride to be change HER plans for HER hen night? Jesus, if you can't be selfish when you are getting married when can you be??

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

GraceK said:
Personally ... I'd give this friend a wide berth from now on. It's not for her to understand your diabetes, ..

Moreover, why would anyone want to attempt to pressurise somebody else into doing something that they are uncomfortable with? It's just a matter of respecting another person's boundaries.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

eveshamgal said:
Why should the bride to be change HER plans for HER hen night?

She's not being asked to change them.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yorksman said:
eveshamgal said:
Why should the bride to be change HER plans for HER hen night?

She's not being asked to change them.

In the post I quoted the suggestion was that the bride Ask For alternative suggestions. I didn't say the OP was asking fir them to be changed.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

eveshamgal said:
In the post I quoted the suggestion was that the bride Ask For alternative suggestions. I didn't say the OP was asking fir them to be changed.

Point taken.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

HI,Eveshamgal :)

Your a probably right, it is such a good start for a bride to be selfish, but this is now not December,you'd think wedding plans would have been shared with your friend.

A selfish person is one who cares only for their own pleasures, even if it causes pain to someone else. They have no consideration for anyone else, and worry only about their own comfort. Selfish people are well mannered and nice to everyone, but they’re nice only as long as they get something more back in return from the people around them.

I think I am being selfish now.

Lets wish the Bride a happy wedding and that is the most important topic.(choc bar)

titchy_lou

Anyone know how I can edit the title of this thread?

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
What would you like the title changed to?

Edit: Never mind, looks like you figured it out :thumbup:

profjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI, you have my full sympathy over this matter, i have had type 1 diabetes for 52years and have had this attitude from people all the time, my advice to you is do WHAT YOU WANT and not what your friend wants. only you know what your body can
cope with, dont ever alter your medication to suit other people. You cant really blame your friend for her ignorance about
diabetes and its control, you cant expect everyone to know what we go through living with this condition. in your situation
i would just say that you cant attend the hen party but will still come and be her bridesmaid on her big day.
Hope everything goes well for you, put this down as a small hiccup in your life plan.
yours John....................

ps. my wife says she will take your place at the chocolate party LOL.

vicky_l

hi titchy

ok firstly I have only read your first post not the whole thread

please please do not give into pressure

I have been diabetic for 14 months now and only in these past few weeks since I joined two forums online did I get the damage I was doing to my body having just some of the foods that we are meant to avoid

I think issue is

1. ignorance of the real damage it does and taking a little more insulin isnt the way to treat your body

2. culturally I dont think we are taught to look after our bodies at all and then wonder why they break down like diabetes

so wonder if A she is ignorant of the big issues you can face being a diabetic and you can be her teacher if she is willing to learn

and B wonder if she needs (like I suspect a lot of people) about how important it is to value ourselves and our bodies not dump junk in it (wonder if people not with diabetes ever wonder what eating chocolate really does to their bodies inside and other things we consume almost absentmindedly)

Make the right decision for you

Hope she is willing to learn and she embraces this new knowledge and you still get to be her bridesmaid :)

Vicky_l

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

eveshamgal said:
izzzi said:

Why should the bride to be change HER plans for HER hen night? Jesus, if you can't be selfish when you are getting married when can you be??

The bride isn't being asked to change HER plans as far as I can see. And why does getting married have to mean being selfish? Is that a new tradition or something?