A chocolate problem.

BML

I have been type 2 for over five years and at the moment I'm running at around 6.0 but lastnight I fell from grace when I succumbed to the offer of half a large Easter egg which was not Diabetic chocolate. Half an hour later I started to have painful wind stomach pains and had to go to the toilet several times. After a while I thought it worthwhile to check my blood sugar levels and found they were 3.3 which meant I had to eat some bread and after 30 minutes they started to rise. This morning I checked my blood sugar levels again and found as expected that my blood sugar levels were at 8.3.
Obviously this was all my fault but I thought it worth sharing this experience with you as a warning and it looks as though I'm off chocolate for ever..

staycalm&hopeful

Ahh!
lifes not fair for us diabetics :(
ITS still not going to stop me sharing my treat with my other half on sunday.my easter egg has been in the cupboard for
for weeks :D :oops: Anybody out there having a easter sunday treat?
DEBS

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I am getting an Easter egg from my bf but have decided I am going to break it up and freeze it. Only having little bits now and then. My theory is because it is frozen it will take longer to eat and so satisfy my sweet tooth with just a small amount.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

brightstation

Hi All

I am a bit confused, 1/2 an Easter egg and blood sugar is 3.3.

Am I missing something, should this be 33.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, still trying to learn

B
T2, (almost) managing by diet/exercises

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
brightstation said:
I am a bit confused, 1/2 an Easter egg and blood sugar is 3.3.

Am I missing something, should this be 33.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, still trying to learn

Cant really answer this specifically but generally chocolate especially milk chocolate has a very high fat content so is digested very slowly meaning the sugar and carbs in the chocolate are going to take a long time to enter the blood stream, hence I would imagine the low bg reading, if this low was treated with bread as it was then the carbs in the bread plus the carbs from the chocolate may well have entered the blood stream together causing the higher reading later.

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also cannot see how chocolate has reduced the blood sugar levels. It should have the opposite effect and slowly increase them. If chocolate reduced blood sugar, we could all take it instead of that awful Metformin. If your bloods went down to 3.3 there was another reason. Had you been drinking beforehand or anything like that?

DavidWC

Yes i would of thought chocolate would put your sugar up but I found if my readings go to low or if I feel it's getting low I keep some glucose tablets with me and suck or crunch one of those before eating something my sugars back up fairly fast then

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BigD

I decided to give myself a treat last night and had half an easter egg. Was quite surprised this morning when my out of bed reading was only 5.3 :D

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Brightstation - you are very right - the post IS confusing and means nothing unless the figure is '33'. It is a pity BML had not responded yet.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Same as Dupont but was afraid to tell anyone that CDM's milk affects me not one iota but this does not mean to say that I indulge!!

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
should have said CDM's milk chocolate