breakfast

kelp84

I always have porridge too ... Thou without berries as they always send me sky high ! I hate it if I go high after breakfast as it always spoils my day!
If you are going high after eggs you may find its your background insulin? I'm not sure if it would be practical but may be worth seeing if you go high anyway in the morning? I know a lot of t1 suffer spikes early in the morning so it may be for some other reason that what you are eating for bf?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too sure if this is the right place to post, maybe in the recipe section but the ingredients for the Devil's Porridge are 52% collodion, 42% nitroglycerine and 6% petroleum jelly. It is actually Cordite RDB. The term Devil's Porridge was coined by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello Lone Ranger. I buy Black Farmer Premium Pork Sausages (from Waitrose or Ocado); they're just 1% carbohydrate. Their other varieties have a bit more carb, and other brands have up to 10% carb, so I'm happy with them. As well as just grilling them, I make Scotch Eggs by squeezing out the sausage meat, adding chopped onion, chilli, spices and so on, and a beaten egg. Then wrap hard-boiled eggs in the meat, and roast at 200 degrees for half an hour. Delicious!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lone Ranger said:
Ok Sketcher,what is a low carb sausage .......?
:yawn:

Low carb sausages have more animal product in them and less starch. Typically in the UK the butchers will add upto 25% of fillers, mostly breadcrumbs. The content is tightly regulated in Germany so their sausages are low carb, eg Wikinger Bockwurst, a hot dog type sausage, 1% carbs, Lidl Nürnberger Rostbratwurst, coarse ground and tastes more like a cumberland sausage, 1% carb, Aldi bratwurst, finely ground, 1% carb. In german hotels I tend to have sausage, bacon and egg for breakfast in the UK I play it safe and just have the bacon and egg.

Lone Ranger

I see , as I have high cholesterol and blood pressure I have to be a bit careful will have a look at our small waitrose to see if they do them. Thanks!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lone Ranger said:
Thanks for recipie for Devils cereal sounds like something Moriarty might have cooked up.
"MORIARTY BREK" ...porridge for devious souls:lol:

shanet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you all seem to have fancy breakfasts :), i dont feel like eating in morning but i usually have scrambled egg on toast or a piece of cheese, are diabetics allowed mayo ?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lone Ranger said:
I see , as I have high cholesterol and blood pressure I have to be a bit careful will have a look at our small waitrose to see if they do them. Thanks!

That's the problem. Looking after the carbs is one thing but I too have to be easy on the fry ups. The hot dog sausages are not too bad because they are boiled.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't tthink I'm a fussy eater, but I loathe porridge.
I prefer a scrambled egg. made n the microwave, it's as quick as porridge.
I often go without breakfast as I'm on the road to the gym by 0700 3 days a week.
If I've made a quiche...ish the day before, I leave a portion for breakfast.
Hana

shanet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i could easily go without breakfast but i find my numbers keep rising till lunch time if i do .

vicky_l

WOW lots of info and seems people pretty much opt for similar breakfasts here so am guessing that works well

oh that recipe for devils porridge made me wonder if thats actually got any food products in it as it all sounds like cement mix to me :eek: :roll: :shh: :wink:

ok so scrambled eggs, bacon and mushrooms tomorrow for me :wink:

Vicky_l

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another good low carb sausage is " Debbie and Andrews" in Tesco.
I nearly always eat eggs scrambled in butter, no toast, and coffee with cream. I'm never hungry till lunch, even with an hour and a half walk in the morning.

vicky_l

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

scrambled eggs with butter is good love them and oh fresh coffee and double cream bad but maybe once a week as a treat :wink:

thank you

Vicky_l

g0mrl

I find agave IS okay. The whole breakfast situation interests me. Historically, I have never eaten much breakfast, and I find doing without it is the easiest way to reduce my total food intake. I find that if I DO have breakfast, I only want my lunch sooner; if I have no breakfast I can last without food until lunchtime fairly easily. Everybody says this is not the way to go about things, but I really can't agree. Also, I do a blood sugar every morning when I get up, and if it's higher than I like (say more than 7), I skip breakfast, take my pills, and thereby help my blood level recover quicker. with the bonus that I'm not eating as much. As you'll gather, I have a bit of a problem with my weight (not by any means serious -I'm 5 feet 8 inches and 12 and bit stone), and I'm always looking to reduce my food intake, which I find very difficult to do.

I really remain unconvinced that having a proper breakfast will do anything other than cause me to put on weight.

LCW

Dislikes
Depends on the day!
Just found a new way to make breakfast interesting. I had run out of bacon so drizzled virgin olive oil over two Portobello mushrooms and large tomato then popped in moderarely hot oven for ten minutes. When they were almost ready I cracked an egg in the centre of one mushroom, and as it began to set, placed the other on top to coddle it. Add a slice of toast and you have a low carb designer egg cup!