Problems in work

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As just recently diagnosed with diabetes after Christmas which then led to a couple of months off sick on my return to work I then had to have a back to work meeting where I was asked the usual questions explain my sickness what medication I was on etc also explained that I would possibly need a few appointments at the hospital doctors etc more trips to the dentist podiatrist and was then asked to make them as late in the day as possible eg 5 O'clock appointments so I could leave half an hour early then start half an hour early the following day etc or if I need an appointment in the middle of the day they would be so kind enough to let me put in half a days holiday that was after blowing my top when they told me to hide away somewhere if I needed to check my BS levels

The first time I asked for some flexibility asked to finish at 4:30 instead of 5 but offered to also start half an hour early and was told point blank no chance but I could have the option of starting at ten then starting at 8 on tues and weds next week because they think they will be busy

Now they know I cant get in for 8

It would then mean me having to make up 2 hours when I only wanted half an hour and had offered to make that up by starting early the same day

It seems to me they are trying to use my illness more to their benefit by trying to get me to work hours just to suit them by trying to force me in for them 2 hours early for 2 days because in their words they think they will be busy

After speaking to a nurse I was told this was all wrong and should be given time off for my appointments and shouldn't have to use my holidays

Anyone else had these kind of problems

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd check employment law with someone like ACAS but I'm pretty sure they confidently time off for medical appointments, particularly shenanigans adhered to their request to make it as late in the day as possible.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problems. I was diagnosed in February and I've had time off for diagnosis, follow up clinics, eye elinics and a carb counting course. They agreed that its in their best interests to give me time off to sort my health, if I'm under control then it means I won't be taking time off for hypos etc later.

But hey, my work have always shown compassion and look for well being in their employees so maybe I just got lucky!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What they're doing sounds wrong and exploitative IMHO. Looking onto the law on this sounds like a very good idea. I have been very fortunate with employers. In one interview I had when I said I had diabetes the interviewer asked tonnes of questions. Not bothered about it affecting my ability to do the job just genuinely interested in the condition. He even asked to see my Novopen. It really boils down to the attitude of individuals and some are sorely lacking in humanity. What your employers are doing is despicable. I hope you get this sorted out soon.

blackcat79

Hi
Well your work place sounds just like mine! I work hard get no thanks . I was off for 5 wks bn bk 3 yet still waiting for bk to work meeting so i can tell them new meds that i need a break to eat etc ( dont get one as only 4 hrs a day). They r bad when it comes ti me going to apps i can have as hols or unpaid! Rubbish!
Stress of it doesnt help our BS either
Sue

danyparc

You should consider taking the disability discrimination line. If your condition is long term, as it undoubtedly is; and if your health would deteriorate if you could not attend for treatment, then your employer is likely to be breaching disability discrimination regulations. Maybe you should mention this to your union rep and decide what to do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you take you take time off at inconvenient tines to your Employer... As far as I know... They can dictate tines for that time off to be made up..
If you cant do thise times ..... Well, why should they play around your diabetes to be honest.....
If you ask for time off to go to your diabetic health appointments, your Employers are entitled to ask you to make up the time .... That is convenient to them... Or you lose your pay.. End of.....

The world is not working around Ilness.. Although to me (type1- 27 years... Not one day off sick due to duabetes, hypo's or hypers, or gp or hosp appointments)...

To me...

elaine77

Diabetes is now legally classed as a disability and is protected under The Equality Act 2010 meaning your employer has a legal obligation to allow you any appointments or allowances or anything else entitled to you by law. They do not get to dictate the times of your appointments and they can't make you make up the time either, however, they don't have to pay you for any time missed due to appointments, that's the only thing they can sanction. I would be more firm with your employer as they SHOULD fit around your medical condition actually as they are obliged to do so by law. Some people might never need time off due to diabetes and lucky them but one thing every diabetic knows is that this disease affects different people DIFFERENTLY and I think the thread before this one is rather insensitive. End of the day though, the law is the law and you are protected by it under a legal act.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
eveshamgal said:
I'd check employment law with someone like ACAS but I'm pretty sure they confidently time off for medical appointments, particularly shenanigans adhered to their request to make it as late in the day as possible.

Oh my god I think I must have been drink when I wrote this!!!!!

What I meant to say is I am pretty sure the can't deny you time off for medical appointments, especially when you have adhered yo their request to make it as late as possible.

Check with EASS.