Tyoe 1 and tattoos!

Unjustified

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant people and liars
Go for it... I was worried about this at first, but as long as you make sure your BG levels are ok, you should be fine. I try to have mine around 8-9 before getting a tattoo as it can lower your levels slightly. Also keep something sugary on hand, just in case. If you are still worried, ask your tattooist, or your Doctor.

Enjoy your new tattoo,

James

Elc1112

I've got three and haven't had any bother with any of them. Word of warning - tattoos on the foot really hurt!!

scottishbrian

I wont be allowed one on foot cosi have slight neuropathy!

Why? I want my dads signature tattooed on me in remembrance cos he died recently!

l0vaduck

scottishbrian said:
I wont be allowed one on foot cosi have slight neuropathy!

Why? I want my dads signature tattooed on me in remembrance cos he died recently!

Sorry to hear that, but do you think he would have approved? I have lost both my parents but I can imagine the look on both their faces if they hear that I was planning to do anything similar.

Elc1112

Sorry to hear about your dad. Have you got any idea what you're going to get or where?

I0vaduck - I get that not everybody likes tattos, but surely it's a personal choice?!

l0vaduck

Elc1112 said:
Sorry to hear about your dad. Have you got any idea what you're going to get or where?

I0vaduck - I get that not everybody likes tattos, but surely it's a personal choice?!

Absolutely! At no time did I suggest otherwise!

scottishbrian

My dad had a few tattoos himself and always said if we were to get a tattoo make sure its meaningful, so yes I do think he would approve.

Im getting my dads signature and itll either be on the left side of my chest (close to my heart) or the underside of my arm (top part of the lower arm)

:)

Sheffield27

Hi Brian
I have a large tattoo which took 2 x 3 hour sittings, not really much to tell to be honest, bloods definitely dropped a bit. a good idea is to have a lolly why its being done and some lucozade handy. Just ask for regualr breaks so you can keep on top of it and I would recomend someone else driving after...

Sorry to hear about your old man and good luck with the art.

Cheers

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
scottishbrian said:
My dad had a few tattoos himself and always said if we were to get a tattoo make sure its meaningful, so yes I do think he would approve.

Im getting my dads signature and itll either be on the left side of my chest (close to my heart) or the underside of my arm (top part of the lower arm)

I think that's great.

I had a tattoo done when I was a student and it was no problem. Black by the way is the best colour should you decide at some point to remove it, greens are the worst apparently. Just make sure all the needles are clean and they look like they know what they are doing.

Best

Dillinger

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)
scottishbrian said:

Go for it Brian and dont listen to the anti tattoo lobby or person! I hope it goes well. Its a great idea!
I have just had 3 hours sitting 2 weeks ago on my arm and drank a bottle of lucozade...I was being over cautious because when i got home my blood was 18...and I am normally well controlled..
So in another week and half for my next sitting, i wont be going as mad on the lucozade, maybe just an extra weetabix , although i wont be going low for them vital lines lol.

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
Just had my 2nd 3 hour sitting today (another in 3 weeks) . I had breakfast at 8.00.. i went at 9.20, took an hour to get there... 1/2 hour before starting then another hour and half of tattooing...My blood sugar didnt come down very fast...I purposely had it at 14 before setting off and over 3 hours later it was only 9.. (usually comes down faster than that....I left at 13.15 and my blood was 6.9)
I guess its the trauma/pain that keeps the sugars high???

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only other thing to be meticulous about is aftercare. I had a 5 hour sitting (look at all you wooses doing it in 3he installments lol :p) and was fine. I am type 2 though not type 1. I made sure I had snacks to keep my BG up.

As the tattoo will be essentially an open wound and diabetics can have issues with wound healing you wi'll need to ensure you follow the aftercare instruction very closely. I use bepanthen as a barrier cream for mine (nappy rash cream that can be bought in all supermarkets and chemists)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AMBrennan

mikegrove4 said:
bear in mind they'll get you to sign a form saying you don't have diabetes... :shifty:
That doesn't sound like the proper way to do things, and I would never do that (if there's an issue then there's a written record of you lying about a relevant medical condition)

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AnitaM said:
I have several and if anything my blood sugars raised slightly. My last one was a diabetic ribbon on the underside of my wrist instead of wearing medic alert jewelry. I healed very quickly and was delighted with the results :)

Oh I like that idea! But then do people know what colour the diabetic ribbon is?

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive been t1 25 years and i have a tattoo. I think if youre sugars arent controlled the healing will take longer and youll be more susseltable to infection, but go for it!

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
Tough lass lol
Yeh Bepanthan is the best imo and most tattooists