Hypos..no warning signs

violet6763

Hello. I was diagnosed type 1 just before Christmas. After finally getting used to insulin, carb counting and injections my blood sugar is around 6 and eight. After months of high twenties being told I was type 2, I am pleased with this.
Over the past three days though I have had really low blood sugars for no reason, just a sudden drop with no warnings like other hypos I have had. Usually once I hit fours I feel funny then shaky. On Thursday I tested blood before heading out to lunch with hubby. It was 6.4. I drove ten minutes to a restaurant, tested it was 3.7 and I felt a bit spacey but nothing like before. I had a good meal and didn't inject, just kept an eye on sugars. I had to work. When I left work to drive home was 8 , I got home ten minutes later it was 4.2. No symptoms. Today we went shopping. It was 6.9 before we headed home, then fifteen mins later 3.6 , no warnings. I ate a sandwich and crisps, no injection again, then went to bed as really tired. Three hours sleep later it is 8.1. I still feel exhausted as I did before diagnosis. Obviously I have no diabetic nurses to ask this weekend and I am concerned as I don't know why it's dropping or why I have no warning.
Any ideas?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I guess you have taken account of the time it takes after injection for the insulin to have an effect? For long-lasting this can take 6-8 hours to a peak; also where you inject affects timing I'm not an expert on this and must admit I don't understand why you are having such a sudden drop.

violet6763

Hello. Thanks for reply. I haven't changed sites or diet since diagnosed. I just checked meter and in twenty mins today it dropped from 6.7 to 3.6! I was going to have a couple of glasses of wine tonight as a treat. I haven't had any all week. Guess that's out. I feel awful, like I will fall over and it's 9.3!

Samantha98

I'm type one since January and I realized if the blood sugar drop is fast, there are symptoms. If it slowly declines or if I'm concentrating on something else, I don't feel the symptoms. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Hope you find out! :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Violet6763

Don't panic... Have a glass of red wine... Dont let diabetes beat you into acting differently..

I would... If it was me...lower my basal insulin, as you appear to be having consistent lows during 24 hours. I dont know what regime you are on though.

Don't panic, please, don't panic. The fact that you are testing before driving etc.. It may not strike you as recognising low levels... However, I bet if you were at home, your brain WOULD have told you to test your blood.

Honest, sometimes I just test blood at an odd time and I could be low... Its not at a normal testing time.... So something must have told me to do a test....thats my brain... But ir doesnt necessarily think... YOU'RE HYPO'. But something told me to test....

Violet, you are early days in insulin.. Please don't panic. Have that glass of red wine. You are in control.. Not your diabetes...

violet6763

Thank you for replies. I feel reassured. I didn't buy any wine in the end..oh well. I shall partake tomorrow instead. I currently have 7 basal and calculate ten carbs to one unit of humalog then take off one unit for breakfast and dinner and two for lunch. My morning readings are between 6 and 8. I tried dropping basal again a couple of weeks ago I had low morning readings and it sent it all high. The nurses told me I was going through the honeymoon stage.. does this mean this is the good bit? Lol