Next gen (smaller) Omnipods in use...

Petey

Hey all,

Those of you interested in the Omnipod or 'patch' pumps in general may find this interesting.

I've been using the new Omnipods for a few weeks now and very impressed. Only time will tell for reliability but no issues with filling/priming/starting so far.

The new pods really are noticeably smaller and are definitely easier to get a wetsuit over - the adhesive seems to hold up better after prolonged immersion too. Reduced mass of the pods was also noticeable for the first couple of days, particularly when running and cycling on rough terrain. Coloured canula is also a nice touch and makes it far easier to check for problems.

Only downside so far is that they're way harder to get into; probably not an issue for most but I like to break 'em apart for recycling - needle & canula in sharps bin of course.

As for the PDM, physically there's no change other than the colour; it's now black. As for firmware, the only changes I've spotted so far are:

1. ID confirmation prompt at waking: when waking from sleep the PDM asks you to confirm that you're you - you have to give the PDM an ID at setup to facilitate this. I guess this is to avoid inadvertent swapping of PDMs if there's a gaggle of podders around.

2. Additional extended bolus options; think I spotted something about this in the manual but may be wrong. Will check again.

As for other features/changes, the blister packs are slimmer thus making it easier to carry spares. Also, filling needles are MUCH shorter to accommodate the thinner form of the pods.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm happy to answer question from anyone that's interested.

Cheers,

Pete.

kt78

Hi there - thanks for the info - I'm really looking forward to the smaller pods, the coloured cannulas sound like a great modification!

leggott

We should get ours any day now!

I've been told that there is now a USB link so you can transfer data for your computer. Another thing ( although negative for us) is that you can zap yourself with the PDM from a further distance.

My DSN told me they were having some problems to do with occlusions although I did ring Omnipod and the girl on reception didn't know anything about this.

I think the best bit is the fact that they are smaller. It will defo give my kids more sites to place them.

Petey

Yep, definitely smaller. And I seem to clout them on doorframes less too, although that may just be my radar working better these days :wink:

kt78

Occulsions - oh no - I have never had one with the omnipod!

Has anyone else had experience of this? (Heaven forbid a DSN could be misinformed! :lol: )

sticks71

I've been using the smaller pods for a week now, and have found them much better. Like Petey I haven't been bashing them on door frames anywhere near as much as the old pods! And so far I haven't had any issues with occlusions.

I always have the pods on my arms, and with the old pods I would always be aware of them when sleeping (ie when laying on my side), however this is much better with the smaller pods, much less noticeable.

JaninaWalker

Please tell me what the "minimum fill" is on the newer smaller Omnipods because I am waiting for their introduction in Canada and only the larger ones are available here, but they are available, so the smaller ones will come out eventually here. I use so little insulin that even though I was approved to get a pump in 2010, I use too little to make it economical. I would have to pay for twice as much insulin and I do not have coverage. I've been Type 1 for 32 years on Multiple Daily Injections.
I did call the maker's customer support in Canada, but they said they are not allowed to discuss a pump that is not available yet, so I said I would contact a European user group and they said that was a workable idea.
I suppose it is because they are supposed to be only promoting what they are currently allowed to sell.

Petey

Hi Janina. Just checked the manual and it states a minimum of 85u is required to activate a pod (new, smaller version). That fits with my experience as they usually seem to beep before I hit the 100u mark on the filling syringe. Not sure if that's the same as the older (larger) pods but the maximum fill is definitely the same, i.e. both old and new have 200u reservoirs. Hope that helps.

I'm freddie hinton and have been on omnipod for a bit now,but have a bit of a problem.I have been laid off my job and unemployment won't start for about a month.I just realized that I have 4 pods left,if anybody has any they can send please text me and let me know.My number is *mod Edit Removed number* please text to let me know,and thanks.

JaninaWalker

Why could we not insist they do a survey on their web site to see how many people would like...
(1) even smaller, whereby all the electronics are the same but half sized pod even compared to the newer one as so many will never ever use a full 200u in three days.
(2) just move the minimum fill sensor to a better location so less is needed to start the unit. Would that mean that if I used one I would be constantly facing a beeping as it would think I am close to empty? For children even 30u over three days will be too much.
I told them two years ago that it was like creating a one sized T shirt but making it extra large and asking 6 year olds to wear it strapped up on their body like a long dress. There is such a thing as doing separate runs at a factory so you can make small, medium and large. I saw a child of about a year with a huge egg shaped bubble on a leg. They need a small size. One mother pulls out the insulin to re insert in the next, but says some is always lost.
They will sell more if they do this as a wider market is reached.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like the new small pods & have been using then since early Dec but do have problems with occlusion failure rate, 50 % on one box and 2 within the last 48 hours. My BS was 4 and 5 respectively so believe there must be issues with sensitivity, I do a lot of sport and this might be the trigger, anyone else?

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Peter,
How are you getting on with the small pods? I like them hugely but still getting 50% occlusion rate on a box of 10 . I had another one today following another on Friday whilst doing sporting activities and getting a bit fed up. Ypsomed won't replace the box although they have admitted there is a known problem. I've been told to get hold of Duoderm Phin from my GP which might help and not to place pods on muscle areas such as arms and thighs which rather defeats the object of having them in my view. I'd be very interested in know if anyone else is having these occlusions.

sticks71

I've been on the smaller pods since just before Christmas, and I have had only 1 pod that has failed. Sounds like I've been lucky!

Miffyrascal

Hi. I've been using the new smaller omni- pod pump for a month now and have had 10 occlusions! Please tell me I'm not the only person suffering this problem :-(

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I've had the same and have been told its an acknowledged problem although Ypsomed are coy about it. Might be worth speaking to the rep about it and getting a new batch. I'd been on the Omnipod for a year and had maybe 2 or 3 occlusions and have had over a dozen since starting the small ones early December. Some batches are worse than others, I'm told this will improve, it's just that they are over sensitive and the occlusions aren't true occlusions. All very annoying but the pods are so much better than the old large ones so best sticking with them I reckon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Petey

JaneC said:
Peter,
How are you getting on with the small pods? I like them hugely but still getting 50% occlusion rate on a box of 10...

Hi Jane,

Apologies for not responding sooner. I can sympathise with the occlusion issue; recent batches seem to have fixed this though so hang in there! Hadn't heard the advice about avoiding limbs for infusion so that's quite interesting.

Looking at the last Insulet stockholder report they've recently hired a pretty high-powered new head of QA, so I think they're taking the matter seriously. Interesting news as well that they're no longer working with Dexcom to integrate their CGM system; instead they've (Insulet) just signed a deal with a different - undisclosed but (allegedly) experienced - CGM manufacturer to integrate for future versions. I'm keen to see what comes of that.

Interestingly (to me at least), I'm not actually using the pods at present as I'm participating in a trial that necessitates use of a tubed/tethered pump for eight weeks. I'll confess that I can't wait to go back to the Omnipods, as having this stupid little box attached to me on a leash is driving me bananas!!! Having never used a tethered pump before (privileged pump life), I honestly can't imagine why anyone with a choice would choose one over a tubeless/patch alternative.

To Janina Walker: I think it's unlikely they'd ever want to maintain multiple product lines for the current version; simple reason being that the cost would be prohibitive. The cost of developing and gaining approval for one device is staggering, let alone doing the same thing for multiple variants.

JaninaWalker

To Petey:
I've made a suggestion to the designer of the pancreum that providing a rubber topped location for injecting MORE insulin into the pod part way through the three days on the body might be a good option as then the size of the unit can be flatter, need only be attached to the body once in the 3 day period but still allow a person such as the few who do use more than can be put into a 200u reservoir can top up when needed. I found one woman using an omnipod, and I can't remember which site, who said that she needed 100u per day so the cost of changing the omnipod every two days meant it was too expensive, so she went back to MDI as a strategy. So, given that there are people at both ends of the spectrum, those who want a very flat small pod, such as children and people super sensitive to insulin, and then people at the other end, it means having a model that allows interim filling would be an excellent idea as the unit could be much smaller. The injections into a rubber stopper, much like you see on the vials that you draw insulin out of, at least would not hurt and the person would not have the problem of developing lumps. I have my theory on that, but it is a different topic, for people on MDI like myself.

Isn't the concept of being attached to something one of the biggest reasons why people on MDI do not want a pump? So the ability to get a very small one, with the added ability to add more, each day, would allow the same fine tuning of how the software manages the programmed drip which is one of the most valuable parts of the pump idea. The worst part of the pump is expense and huge size that gets in the way of clothing to be worn. I imagine the blockage problems are also a problem, but I don't have that issue, as I'm not yet using a pump, so don't follow the comments as closely other than to see how expensive and troublesome it can be, so it scares me away from a pump.

However, getting omnipod to change their design is a big deal, so I will hope for the pancreum as it is already quite a good design as all of the three parts can be selectively used as needed, so the designer tells me. It will have CGM, glucagon and insulin, as three parts and will naturally have the software to run it similar to the omnipod's, as he was a previous omnipod designer. see pancreum.com

The designer of the pancreum also mentioned the high cost of changing runs at a factory which I was aware of, but not in percentage monetary terms as I have done an MBA so know about the problem. However, they do still do it for manufacturing clothes as I said before. They do not expect every person to wear an extra large. Except the free T shirt from the supplement company only offered extra large, so I guess we have to find someone to give it to. When you get things for free, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth, but then would not wear it. Clothing manufacturers know that they can't expect to SELL anything that does not fit. So they will make a change in the factory to accommodate. Imagine shoes, if they were all size large, how many would be able to walk in them? People would wear several layers of socks.

The best pump of the future, in my view, would be one that can be adapted to the widest range of people and also be the smallest and also tubeless, with the best software with the greatest number of modules to meet differing needs and have the ability to connect it to screens of varying sizes at different times, such as on the road versus at home. One could attach such a model to even more advanced software for designing meals and diets to track nutrition and even exercise. The ideas could be limitless and sold as modules to be added as the person who owns it sees fit .

GLF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: Next gen (smaller) Omnipods PROBLEMS in use...

Hi I also changed from the larger omnipods to the smaller one in March and have had so many alarms with them 4 out of ten in last box and so far 2 out of 4 in next box. was particularly irritating as I was abroad at the time and couldn't get replacements posted. Ypsomed have denied to me completely that there are any issues with the new pods so am interested to hear others have had the problems acknowledged. However they are good at sending replacements quickly. Alarms seems to happen after about 24 hours and particularly when bolus ing (is that a word??). Is any one else having this same issue? :problem:

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a known about problem although not officially acknowledged as far as I can see. I had the same problems and I've been on the new smaller ones since December. I had 2 boxes with 60% failure rate but since 22nd June I've had no problems and as you say, they are always replaced. I saw on a US website that someone from the company agreed the pods were overly sensitive so would imagine this is a teething problem that is being sorted , it's so common. Naughty of them not to acknowledge it though as it was such a nuisance I thought about going back to MDI, having had a good 2 months I'll give them another chance!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App