How old were you when you were diagnosed?

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 35 8.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • 22-30

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 52 13.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 37 9.4%

• Total voters

minime

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 22 type 1. I started with the symptoms 9 months previously and had been to my gp at least 3 times but he didn't even do a blood test. That was in 1979.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I was 33 when diagnosed with type one. It was very scary, but also a relief as I kept on at my doctor as I knew something was wrong, but didn't know what. I was very tired a lot of the time and picked up any illness going. So glad this was picked up.

candid_

20 years old. Type 2.
struggling with it everyday.
Im 23 now, October/2013 will be 3 years diagnosed, and I still have no idea how to wrap my mind around it.

vespa

45 type 1 New Years Eve 2013 should have gone to a party, at least I was surrounded by Nurses !

Switch2501

I was 14 when I was diagnosed. Had my first hypo on my first night in hospital. My heart was pounding through my back and I was just thinking "behave I'm trying to sleep!".

Luckily the nurse dude came with a tin of biscuits. I was made up :). 15 years on I regret nothing :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Geocacher

I was diagnosed at 42 as T2, but knew it was in the cards for almost 30 years before that. You can't escape from 4 generations of family history of diabetes and death before 60. My Dad was diagnosed as T2 in my teens and passed away before his 60th birthday. By that time it was clear to me that I resembled him in more than looks and manner. You can't escape from genetics, you can only hide for a while.

After puberty my body assumed the classic apple shape despite a sensible diet and an active lifestyle and in my early 30's insulin resistance set in along with reactive hypoglycaemia. From that point on it was a matter of trying to buy time. I was already used to limiting my sugar and carbohydrates out of habit from growing up with a diabetic in the house. The next step was to start taking metformin early in the hope that it would delay the onset of diabetes. It didn't, but it has made it less severe than what other members of my family have experienced. I consider that a win, perhaps it means that I'll manage to live long enough to get myself a free bus pass and make good use of it.

I live in hope, but just in case I'm wrong, I'm having as many adventures as I can whilst there's still time.

Holrup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1966 at the age of 8, I remember it well because i was admitted to Hospital which had just been opened, there was no children's ward so I was put in a male geriatric ward, I remember watching us beat Germany on a old TV which kept having to be banged every 5 mins to get a picture and guess who that was me the young one, I remember it well, I stayed in hospital for 6wks.

jennalou161

I was 18 when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after my nan advised me to go for a test in the chemist and within a day of that test my nurse from my docs surgery was at my house taking me to hospital but I didn't get admitted as I had A-level coursework to hand in the next day. So docs made me have the wk off after I handed my coursework in :smile: