Family Guy & Diabetes Jokes!

LauraJayType1

Re: Family Guy & Diabetes Jokes!

derek1960 said:
Hi, it's a cartoon for goodness sake, so let it be a cartoon, many other programmes take the mickey and no one makes a complaint.
I'm only expressing my opinion of the jokes on the show... Just because it is a cartoon doesn't mean some of the jokes are acceptable. I'm standing up for diabetics who agree it's not right to make such bad jokes about diabetes. I'm not saying i haven't laughed at some of the jokes cos i have.. Just sometime's the jokes are too way to far!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

avalon67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

*took way too far.

I take it you mean *taken* way too far?

The jokes on Family Guy are aimed at T2 diabetics, not T1, afaik.

GlazedDoughnuts

derek1960 said:
Hi, it's a cartoon for goodness sake, so let it be a cartoon, many other programmes take the mickey and no one makes a complaint.

I'm with this dude.

People get all bent out of shape over diabetes, just take your Insulin/meds and adopt a balanced diet and suddenly diabetes can be taken off the pedestal.

Random Google search of type 2 diabetes brings this up:
Aug15_2011_23478618_ObeseWomanwTapeMeasure_FatCellsType2Diabetes4215318297.jpg

iph888

Sorry but the humour shouldn't have to be explained here, if you watch the show they take the mickey out of everything and anything no matter what the topic (sometimes deliberately very sick). The joke isn't in that, it's in the way it's actually reflecting the genuine prejudices in quite a straight way.
You are supposed to laugh at the characters portraying real narrow minded views with the joke always on them because you are aware how misinformed & horrendous their views & actions are.
It's, slightly, clever comedy dressed up as toilet humour & prejudicial attacks, if you laugh at it at face value then you probably should have a bit of a rethink on your world view. If on the other hand you are taking it as read and don't find it funny you may want to think just who the jokes are ultimately on & they are normally on the characters who are making them.
The creators do seem to deliberately pick on topics they are concerned with & although I haven't heard the diabetic jokes I would assume the fact they are there means someone in the writing team has some experience on this topic & is probably writing based on their own experiences of how diabetes is portrayed/misunderstood.

kimdarren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Family Guy is an ADULT program with sexual innuendos, violence, and bad language so...... Why are you people watching it if you're offended by it??? Either change the channel or turn it off! Personally, I have much more concerning things to worry about than an imaginary cartoon figure 'rubbing me the wrong way'

nump

I also have type two diabetes, inject 4 times a day and rattle with tablets, but Hey! my levels are great and I feel ok!
I know other people suffer much worse than I do, so I count myself lucky.
But come on, get over yourself, try putting yourself in the shoes of a child with terminal cancer.
If you are truly offended by Family Guy - DON'T watch it, do yourself a favour, find something worthwhile to complain about!

LauraJayType1

At the end of the day all i was doing was expressing my point of view.. Not asking for an argument. I didn't say i never liked the show, i just stated some jokes are quite hurtful. I'll continue to watch the show as i do enjoy it and maybe one day will end up laughing at the diabetes jokes but that days not today.

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I occasionally catch Family Guy, most commonly because i've fallen asleep in front of the tv and woken up when it's on.
I don't think anyone could take it completely seriously, given all of the jokes and ideas in it. A dog that talks? A murderous kid?

Seth MacFarlane is a very talented man. I first saw him on "Swinging Christmas" with Michael Parkinson and the John Wilson Orchestra, introduced as commonly associated with comedies like Family Guy but also a great singer and musician. I've a feeling that he's also behind most of the music that's used in his shows. He was interviewed on Sunday Brunch when "Ted" was on the cinemas in the UK and was asked if he was doing publicity for the movie. He responded that no, he was here to do one of the Promenade Concerts with John Wilson.

Evna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I actually have a severe dislike of taking tablets and as such having T2 Diabetes is something of a disappointment in this regard

I think the show is absolutely brilliant the way they take pot shots at life and everyone in it.. nothing is off limits.

I think it should be taken for what it is... Funny! It has a talking Dog for heavens sake.. It's no use getting upset at the Diabetes jokes after having laghed at the Jewish, Muslim and Disabled jokes... BUT

If thats not an option there is a little button on most TV's and their remotes if pressed what your watching goes away.

imalittlefishy

I am a Family Guy fan and take the diabetes jokes, as with many of the other topics, with a large pinch of salt! I can see why some people might find it offensive but I have to deal with my diabetes with humour or I wouldn't deal with it at all. On a related note, my darling brother managed to convince a gullible friend that everyone calls me "Diabeto" (straight out of family guy!) and that she should too, and it seems to have stuck! :roll: My family is rather good at twisted humour... :wink:
xx

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I'm Wilford Brimley and I have diabetes. It hurts me to pee ... And two weeks ago I ran out of vanilla ice cream and struck my wife. Then I ... Who the hell did I hit?

4daf53269db02.preview-300.jpg

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Tell me that ain't funny..! :lol:

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes

Jokes! huh the biggest joke for me is that so called diabetes clinicians have NO idea of life. They come out with rhetoric that they do not understand. They know not about the daily status, side effects, the difference between allergies and so called sensitivity and then tell you you are wrong.
For example I am again back on Novomix 30 but 4 x a day with Aerius, acta rapid gave me nerve problems on my left side after some 8 months, livemir caused me to have serious B12 deficiency (sticky middle finger left hand, sore left shoulder), Novo Insultard gave me a serious middle right of the head, headache so bad I could not see properly, Glucophage caused many problems and another sold only in france called Stagid, caused all my muscular activity to stop, could not see, and took 6 weeks to get out of my system and I could not ride my motor bike for that time.
These are not fckuing jokes, they are not bxxxxxy funny.
I have still not got through to dietician/ diabetes doctor that I do not eat stupidly, nor roast beef for every meal.
There is some light at the end of the tunnel, my new doctor has just said that my report for the last period has come back good, exceptionally good as I am a diabetic on insulin and he understands that even though I am not "allergic" to the insulins he is aware that being on an anti histamine drug (aerius) reduces the serious side effect of Novomix 30. He also said that the mixing of various insulins is to him a no no. The doctor that whipped my gall bladder out said he was stunned that although figures indicate that I was overweight there was little fat around my organs. (They blow you up with CO2, like a balloon so they can see all your innards!!)
So that is the real joke. The fact that insulin makes you feel hungry, that levels go up over time, have to test your bloods daily, have an injection several times daily, that aforesaid clinicians give you bxxxxxx, and hold back something like the test strips, meter etc. Funny, I think not.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.

Some people are extremely delicate. It's a joke at the end of the day. If you don't like the shows, don't watch. If you do watch it you know what to expect.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you guys think family guy is a Disney cartoon or something where everything has to be pc and can't exclude anyone etc??

Of course it's not. It's an adult cartoon with adult themes and some poor taste jokes. If you don't like it don't watch it. I happen to think it's very funny. Yes the stereotype diabetes but they also sstereo type black people, red necks and all other manner of people.

jacki

Diabetes 2 and diabetes1 are completely different. My grandson has had this dreadful illness for 1 year from the the age of 2.Anyone who can joke about this illness needs there head testing

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

We Brits are very good at not being offended. Our little island is much too small for that.
Laura, the more you expose yourself to the jokes, the easier it will be for you, and the stronger you will become.

muffy1948

Type of diabetes
Type 1

What is said in Family Guy is for comic relief, what is said in British media is ill in formed and used to heighten he message from Government.
The Tory death machine is a deliberate attempt to make diabetics starve, become homeless, to be isolated from society, to label all diabetics as lifestyle choices, the aim is to eradicate all disabled people, as it is us that has caused the economic depression, not the poor innocent banker who has had to have a tax cut to help him take home more millions

If you want to complain, do it about David Cameron and cronies, not Seth Macfarline a comic writer and cartoonist.