omnipod user

hi my son is 13 and is considering using the omnipod and he is wanting to talk to another user of similar age of their experiences on it as our local hospital doesn't currently use omnipods so we are having a few issues. Any advice etc?

kimb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can't really help that much but my 12 yr old is having an application put in for one. She liked the idea if it being more discrete and not having to inject at school. She's also had a few nasty hypos and can go high for no apparent reason.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

leggott

My 2 children have been on the omnipod for nearly 2 years now. I'm happy to try and answer any questions you may have if you PM me.

thank you so much, I've been told that by our SDN that they are more painful than other pumps and will get in the way? also how have you found the customer service at Ypsomed for sending replacements any queries etc. Our SDN said he wore one for a day and it fell off is this a problem you have had and if so how have you overcome that?

leggott

We love them and haven't had any problems. They are so easy to fill and put on that my 8 year old could change one! They don't know they are wearing them and can keep them on when swimming and bathing. We have found the service from Ypsomed to be brilliant - never any issues.m

leggott

worth your while contacting Ypsomed and getting a few pods to stick on and wear yourself to see how they feel. My husband and I wore them and found them very comfortable - so much so that we forgot we had them on!

My kids wear them on the tummy and lower back and we are just about to try the backs of their arms now the pods are a lot smaller.

thank you so more for answering our questions just trying to filter out the truth between the SDN and the rep but we re hoping fingers crossed to get the funding and move forward ASAP as our hospital have said they don't do omnipod and our son is very set on it.

leggott

You're welcome. I hope you can get the funding, I know that in my area they are getting harder to get although our DSN has a good relationship with the omnipod. My kids were the first in our area to go on the pods and our DSN has been behind us all the way. Several other children in our area have now gone on the pods - all seem to be pleased and getting on very well with it.

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
If the Omnipod doesn't work out for you, have a think about the Animas Vibe. My 9yr old son has had one for a month now and it's working out very well. We chose it because its waterproof so he has plenty of freedom. With his infusion set the tubing is very short, the cannula is discreetly hidden and lies flat on his body so no risk of being knocked. I just thought I'd let you know......

Thanks for that but already ruled out the Animas he really didn't like it he really needs something that is properly waterproof as he goes kayaking for 3 hours on a thursday and the Animas has to be serviced and all seals replaced every year also the screen not ideal as he's dyslexic and found it confusing.

Now been using the omnipod for a month and its fantastic and made such a difference, definitely waterproof and stays put for the 3 days. Only glitch been that they charge you for the free holiday handset it comes sealed if the seal is broken then you pay £250 not ideal at all and certainly not free.

jud007

leggott said:
Hampshire
Hello
I am new to this and was just wondering whether you were still on the Omnipod and using the smaller pods and whether you would still recommend it over any other pumps or MDI. I have been considering this for a long time but mentioned it to the Diabetes nurse who said there were still a few issues with it. Perhaps you could let me know.

Hi yep still using it and on the small pods it's fantastic no issues at all to be honest very easy to use and backup from ypsomed is great after speaking to others it seems to have less occlusions than others so go for it.

jud007

Hi thanks for message. Did you manage to get funding for the Omnipod and how long have you been using it. I am not familiar yet with the bolus and basal, is the basal easy enough to sort out. I read somewhere that the lowest is 0.5 but not sure what that means. Did you also get training from Ypsomed too. Sorry so many questions, need to speak to the DSN soon and need to find out as much as I can before I do.

Hi yep all funded on the nhs training was over three days with DSN and rep from omnipod was there for the first two sessions. DSN sorted all the initial settings out and we went through it all in the training basals are simple and once running you don't do anything with them unless to alter for a temporary basal for exercise or illness etc. eg we have a temp basal preprogrammed at -35% for 4hrs for his PE lesson so he just presses the PE setting and it's done then for the four hours. My main advice would be don't be frightened of it it's really simple but feels like a lot of information at first but it's really not bad when you get used to it. Help yourself to get the settings right in the first place by doing two hourly BG readings day and night for two weeks prior and log and count all your carbs and bolus amounts etc and then when you program the handset you are putting really accurate info in and will have less alterations to do and feel the benefit ASAP it's hard work but really worth it. Good luck

Ps don't be told they are more expensive the hospitals get huge discounts from ypsomed and don't pay the list price so it works out at the same cost as other pumps. They tried this excuse on us and I managed to find this out.