my fitness pal

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have seen this mentioned many times on the forum and have just tried it, i can only find one word to describe it Awesome!! if you havent tried it please spend a little time with it, you can scan the barcodes on packets and it even gives a total carb summary, its focussed on calories which i personally dont care about but the carb counting aspect is just wonderful, i know this is not my discovery :) but if anyone out there hasnt tried it like i hadnt, its well worth a look imho.
Andy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Thanks for the info, Andy. I'll download it on my iPhone.

Regards

Doug

Cody

I couldn't believe I could just scan a barcode on random food stuffs and it came up with all these details. Carbs being the only thing I need as just on an insulin pump recently and would highly recommend it to any diabetic carb counting- carbs an calls is also great for the guessing game on carbs

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven been using mynetdiary. This too reads barcodes. You can access it via the web and apple and android apps. They have a diabetes version for apple devices. It helped me loose weight gradually (lost 12kg since August last year) . I was diagnosed type2 just before Christmas. Hba1c 65. At my first meeting with DN was down to 50. I now test regularly and use the diabetes version of mynetdiary to record readings. You can also track other things such as blood pressure, cholesterol etc. It is well worth a look at. If you subscribe ($5 a month) you can create reports on the web and export them to a spreadsheet.

maxster

Hi Andy12345, I agree being using it for a while now, even better on laptop as you can review your carb intake over 7, 14, etc days, it inspires to see your carb/calorie intake and the progress you are makimg . also it synchronizes with your phone, tablet etc. If this is not news to you accept my apologies, but someone else may not be aware of the reporting tools.

Lozzybabyw

You can view your monthly diary on the phone on the same format too:) A fantastic app if you want to know what's in your food. I Love using the scan feature too:) It makes counting it worth it & a little fun not to mention easier;-)

grahamrosen

Hi, I am using it for the calorie counting but I did not realise the carb aspect. What do the numbers mean - yesterday I had 231(g) carbs, what number should I be aiming for?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi that's debatable, some 30g some 150g some everything in between and some more, mine is low as possible which varies from 30 to 150 lol sorry not much help

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thanks for the advice I'm looking at this stuff :)

maxster

Hi it depends what you want to eat. I started low carving in early march of this year. My BG has ranged between 4 and 7, but mostly around 5 or 6. I have started back at swimming and have lost 9kg in that time. Just been told to stop taking gliclazide which is fab. I keep my carb intake between 30g and 50g and hardly feel hungry.

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
So how do we of little technology get this app on the laptop please? We dont have any other tech equipment except ancient
mobile phones? Need to get this new lifestyle under some control and loosing weight would be great :thumbup:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If you want it on your laptop, it's not an app. Just google it, create user and bookmark it.

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Thank you - have done - looks good, even got Gluten free food on it! :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I am also clueless about such things, I'm not sure if you can get it on a laptop but maybee start by typing in www.myfitnesspal.com if it's possible that's where you would find it, but the best thing is the barcode zapper, I'd would say its worth doing whatever it takes to get an iPhone it really is terrific I look at it 50 times a day

johnhnett

Hi everyone,

I've been using this app for a few months now and I think it's one of the best apps on android. I would also like to recommend another app that works with myfitnesspal, it's called runtastic, this app monitors all kinds of activities like walking, running, and using the gps on your phone calculates distance, altitude changes and calories burned, this is then uploaded to the myfitnesspal website and the runtastic website.