Breakfast ideas in a travelodge!

timholl

I was diagnosed type 2 in November and am really benefitting from taking control of my diet. However, I find it difficult when I have to flex and adapt to eating out or being away or in other people's houses. Breakfast is a really important thing for me and I'm a great porridge fan - obviously made without salt or sugar! (I then add a bit of Stevia and Cinnamon to make it nicer to eat)

Next weekend I'm away for a wedding and staying at a travelodge for two nights. Has anyone found a successful instant sachet of porridge that isn't loaded with sugar and can be made without using a microwave? Or has anyone got a better suggestion for breakfast in a room? What do others do?

Thanks for any ideas!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stay in Travelodges quite a bit and never buy breakfast at them. I make my own museli bars and bring them along. They are made with a packet of granola and loads of ground almonds and chopped nuts, 4 ounces melted butter and two mashed bananas. This makes about 15, 50g museli bars with about 10 grams of carbs in each one. They are quite filling and don't spike me.

Sloan973

If you are not vegetarian, a cooked breakfast minus the toast and only a small portion of baked beans should do no harm. I qctually manage to get once slice of wholemeal toast added to that, but you would need to experiment. I find a small bowl of branflakes with sweetner ( I always take granulated sweetner away with me) is filling without spiking. I aim for no more than 30g of cereal.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I take the opportunity to have a full English (minus bread, potatoes, beans) cooked for me - and someone else washes everything up afterwards! :D

You'll need a good "foundation" breakfast to cope with all the alcohol later :wink:

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Nowadays, I rarely stay away fro home overnight, but when I did it often and now if I'm away, I have the fry-up option for breakfast, but pass on toast, fried bread or hash browns. Bacon, eggs, mushrooms and/or tomatoes make a good low carb breakfast.
Hana

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have stayed in Travellodge but don't have their breakfast options. We try to find a workman's cafe nearby for bacon and egg etc.

Dupont

You should be ok with a full English. :)

Personally though I would find the local cafe as it will be half the price. :mrgreen:

I can get away with two bacon, sausage, one egg, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes and one slice of wholemeal toast without too much trouble. In fact the above keeps me lower than any amount of cereal or porridge. :thumbup:

Geocacher

The last time I stayed at a Travelodge they had a low carb egg and smoked salmon breakfast on the menu... ideal for me.

If you can't see something suitable on the menu then ask, any good restaurant should accomodate your needs just as they would for someone with allergies if you give them a chance and are prepared to explain if they don't immediately understand. I've never had a problem getting a suitable meal anywhere, if I did have a problem I'd just go to the next place down the road.

kay123

I stay in many hotels and like you have to watch what I eat, some hotels do serve breakfasts and Travel-lodges have usually a Toby Inn attached to them, they do make porridge if you ask, if you go for them pots that you just add water, beware that they contain over 60 grams of carb. Like someone has said here, a poached egg and a slice of wholemeal toast will be ok.

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
7J TO ME IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHERE YOU STAY OVERNIGHT YOU CAN NEVER HAVE THINGS MADE FOR YOU TO TASTE THE SAME FOR YOU AT HOME. HOWEVER AFTER SAYING THAT IF YOU ASK POLITELY AND EXPLAIN ABOUT YOUR DIABETES I AM SURE THE COOK /CHEF WOULD TRY THEIR BEST TO ACCOMODATE YOU MY BEST SOLUTION IS GO FOR POACHED OR SCRAMBNLED EGGS ON TOAST AND IF NOT VEGITAIRIAN A FEW SLICES OF BACON. A WEDDING TENDS TO BE LONG AND DRAWN OUT HAVE YOU PASSED YOU DIABETES REQUIREMENTS ONTO THE HOSTS OF THE WEDDING GOOD LOOK AND PLEASE PASS ON YOUR FINDINGS
JOHNTY

Sloan973

Crucial to consider that with porridge or wholemeal toast, the portion sizes are critical to control the carbs. With eggs, bacon, sausage etc the amounts are less important. Still have to watch the weight though!

timholl

Thanks for all your ideas.

Last weekend went well - wedding was great. Food wise Saturday was excellent - breakfast at local Italian bistro (cooked) worked well and they were helpful. Wedding reception was a test as food was later than I'm used to so got 'over hungry' and used oat-cakes to keep me going. Sunday morning was good too with a combination of weetabix and fruit. However, I ended up almost skipping lunch due to travel arrangements and had a 'hypo' when I got home about 6.00 p.m - oops. (sugars down to 3.3) Really knocked me back. This was my first really tricky weekend away since being diagnosed in November 2012, so I've still got my L-plates on really. Thrilled I got through Saturday so well, miffed that Sunday wasn't so good. Thanks for all your ideas and advice.