mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Some are worse than others but generally pretty low except for parsnips I think. You'd need to eat quite a lot to bother to count them as carbs I would think.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im quite familiar with carb content in vegs as i eat it a lot. The thing is they say not to count it at all. If I add half of tomato to my sandwich I dont count it but quite often i eat larger amount like whole packet of stir fry veg with chicken. 300g packet has around 15g of carbs so I inject. I have sometimes some unexplained hypos so I wonder if i do it right :think:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a car counting class the other day and this was discussed. The dietician said that veg should NOT be counted as we do not utilise the carbs that are in them.

The exception is for vegetarians on the assumption that their vegetable intake is higher than the average person and as they have less protein they will absorb some of the carbohydrate.

Or that was my understanding!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I never count veg either - unless I have parsnips. On saying that I think there are the odd one or two that I should count in say 5-10g for like fried onions - had them last night and they definately had an impact. All the green and orange stuff though - zero for me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depends whats on the plate and the quantity, today's chicken dinner I had carrot and turnip mash, broccoli, cauliflower and peas together with roast and boiled potatoes, I estimated 10g of carbs for the veg although I'm sure it was possibly more, I don't weigh vegetables but do weigh potatoes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Green leafy veggies are pretty much carb free, but roots can be fairly high. I would count parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes and older carrots. Some things we eat as veggies are actually fruits, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and it's worth checking them out in reference books.
also portion size matters. A TINY portion of anything is usually not a problem, but a LARGE portion of some things can have significant quantities of carbs. You need a reference book or to use on-line references regularly. I use the interweb, and my Collins little gem book as well as the calorie,carb and fat bible. All are older editions, but things don't change so fast. For newer ready foods, read the panels on the back. the traffic lights are not helpful for carbs.
Hana

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for replies. i guess its all about finding out how it works for me. I always count everything on my plate and usually it works fine. Last week though I had low carb noodles with prawns, packet of stir fry vegetables and stir fry sauce. All the carbs was 20g and i took 2 units. 1.5 hour later i had a hypo. I need to write down my readings and see for some patterns. or maybe there is no such thing like pattern with diabetes :crazy:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have parsnips, carrots, swede, leeks, brocolli, mange tout, peppers and apple sauce at least 4 days from 7 this time of year.
I always carb count them.

I also carb count my salads as well.

I used weighing scales for my first initial meals this autumn. Since thenI just guestimate.

My salads always have sultanas or raisins/walnuts /apple/onion/lettuce/cucumber/tomatoes/peppers and more, so I always weigh my first initial salad of the season and therafter guestimate.

I also bolus when I have my meals.. Never before...

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's bonkers that professionals tell you not to count carbs in veg. Carbs are carbs! Unless we're talking about fibre, which should not be counted.

Take spag bol, for example. A tin of tomatoes contains 12g of carbs, a small onion about 7g, a carrot about 7g, garlic has around 1g per clove. So you're getting on for nearly 30g of carbs before you've even added the pasta. I'd certainly count it because it will push my sugars up, because it is carbohydrate.

Carbs are carbs, it all adds up.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She described it in terms of sweet corn, that passes through you as does all the other vegetables. You don't absorb the carbs in the same way as other foods

Tomato is a fruit so I count that and when I eat a vegetarian meal I count as the quantities are so huge. But I've heard it from two dieticians now.

iHs

The best way to figure out whether to count carb in vegetables and bolus for them is to test bg levels 1-1.5hrs after eating.

Some veg I count and some I dont but it also depends on the quantities too.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Funilly enough I find sweetcorn effects my levels. I guesss the only way to find out is to test. I know for a fact that I need to count everything, you might be different though.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes everyone's different, I'm more likely to hypo than go high so if I started counting carbs in vegetables too id be on the floor!

I guess it depends what you eat it with also. One carrot for a whole batch of Bolognaise is barely anything when you start looking at the pasta etc, but if its a roast dinner with meat potatoes and plenty veg it might be more likely to spike you. But now I'm just speculating!

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
I've never ever counted abything like carrots. The only veg that I eat that I count is potato's.

Am I wrong?? Just curious if I'm doing it all wrong.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WilliamIrvine said:
I've never ever counted abything like carrots. The only veg that I eat that I count is potato's.

Am I wrong?? Just curious if I'm doing it all wrong.

I guess the general consensus has been there is no right or wrong! Dieticians say don't count them, but for some people that would cause a spike and so they DO count them.

Personally I don't. If not counting them hasnt caused you am issue so far then I'd carry on as you are

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I count all carb including vegetables. If I didn't my BG would spike high. A reasonable portion of mixed vegetables e.g. Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, cabbage and carrot will have about 8g carb in and that's a whole unit for me, so why would I not count it? It would be like saying only count 1 of your 2 potatoes!

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm same as Samjb... In my spag bols I even count the garlic!! I put in 2 cloves, so always adding on 2 g.