Errrmm Constipation

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Stay away from processes foods - they're really not good for you! That should help with constipation. Plus, eat grapes or polos if you can - I find they both help when that happens to me! Lol :) x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

NicolaB68 said:
Eugh bulgar wheat porridge, mmm ok I will give it a go, is it made the same way with milk.or water ?
Thank you for the tips of filling my fridge with yummy meat and just eating it with no quarms at all. Is all veg bar root veg and potatoes ok to eat ? Oh my hubby is going to be peeved with me when he has to cook his own meal ha. Cold meats, lean only ?
Thank you everyone xxx

Hi

There are quite a lot of recipes online re - bulgar wheat.

All I did was fill up half a mug with it and then pour that into a dessert bowl and then simply pour on some boiling hot water from the kettle to just cover the bulgar. Wait about 10-15mins for the bulgar to absorb the water and then eat or if in a hurry, shove in microwave for about 2mins or so to cook.

Its fairly ok to eat and you can put whatever you want on it to make it taste the way you want.... I used Basic yogurt but you can use what you want.....

For constipation, I would say that within 3 days, it will enable people to 'go'. For people who are not constipated, it will probably make them 'go' a tiny bit too much but this can be sorted by not eating too much of it though.........

Its definately worth people trying it just to see.........

iHs

Niggle said:
I was under the presumtion that yougurt was high in carbs?

Some are and some are lower.... look at the carb info on the cartons and then try and work out what 1 tbsp would equal.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
iHs said:
Niggle said:
I was under the presumtion that yougurt was high in carbs?

Some are and some are lower.... look at the carb info on the cartons and then try and work out what 1 tbsp would equal.

Flavoured yoghurts are high in sugar = carbs. You need the plain "live" yoghurt, which is low-carb because no sugar. Sweeten with (eg) powdered Splenda. I always go for sheep's or goat's milk yoghurt if I can - it's better for human digestion than cow's milk, apparently.

I think I'll have a go at the bulghur wheat porridge myself . . . don't try all these at once, Niggles! :shock: :wink:

Viv 8)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat alpro soya yoghurt. Tastes great.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Everybody reacts to different things.
My lady wife swears by (or at) All Bran which is a bit too effective for her.
It has no effect on me.

I find that lentils (especially in a dahl) work for me most times.

Plenty of liquids are good - they bulk out and soften the stools.

Plenty of oil is good.
At one time Castor Oil was used as a laxative.
I keep meaning to try drinking a glass of Olive Oil to see if that works.
Oil and vinegar salad dressing could work.

As a T2 I find that LCHF keeps my sugars down, reduces appetite and helps take weight off but makes me a bit bungo.

However when I stray to the dark side and have wholemeal bread I may put a couple of pounds on but it is much easier to go.
Especially with the home made seedy loaf with linseeds.

So you need:
plenty of liquids
some 'good' oil
plenty of fibre
plus that one magic ingredient which works for you.

Oh, and exercise (especially of the waist area) strengthens the muscles and encourages the gut to work more effectively in pushing out the wastes.

Cheers

LGC

magjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Long time type 2

Are you on ordinary metformin or sr?
I used to be on normal and had terrible diarrhoea, all okay with sr. Maybe it works in reverse?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, Grace, human beings really vary! I eat low GL, eat masses of veg, and am now actually eating more carbs (and feeling better for it), than when I ate low carb. I'm now eating brown rice, barley, rye, quinoa, etc, but v little wheat. It is a bad day if I eat less than 9 portions of berries and veg and my gut transit time is 12-24 hours. The best I have ever felt was when I was drinking a litre of green smoothie a day (9-14 portions of fruit/veg a day). My blood sugars were fantastic, and my gut was 'effortless' - best ever health. Trouble is, I lose interest in such a green and salady diet in the winter. Roll on Spring!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Brunneria said:
Wow, Grace, human beings really vary! I eat low GL, eat masses of veg, and am now actually eating more carbs (and feeling better for it), than when I ate low carb. I'm now eating brown rice, barley, rye, quinoa, etc, but v little wheat. It is a bad day if I eat less than 9 portions of berries and veg and my gut transit time is 12-24 hours. The best I have ever felt was when I was drinking a litre of green smoothie a day (9-14 portions of fruit/veg a day). My blood sugars were fantastic, and my gut was 'effortless' - best ever health. Trouble is, I lose interest in such a green and salady diet in the winter. Roll on Spring!

I know, it's weird how our bodies respond differently to different types of 'fuel'. If I ate what you eat, I wouldn't need a car, I'd be going everywhere on my own 'wind power'. I used to eat LOADS of fruit from the minute I learned to eat I was hooked on fruit, but now I just look at it and don't really fancy it. And as far as salads are concerned well I'm really weird ... because I eat salad for lunch every day in winter! Yet in summer I rarely fancy it and prefer soups. I have no explanation for that at all. :roll: