Swollen legs and ankles

pettsy55

Hi

I was told 9 days ago that i am type 1 so as you can imagine this is all a bit new since coming out of hospital my legs and ankles are very swollen, I was wondering weather anyone else had had this or knows anything about it. I am on Lantis and Nova rapid at the moment if you have any ideas please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Rich

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
My first thoughts are consult your GP or A&E asap because swollen lower limbs are not to be ignored. Its usually a build up of fluid and need to be cleared as quick as possible.
There can be several reasons for odema from leaky veins to the first sign of heart failure, so its definately the doc's for you!

Elc1112

If you've been in hospital for a few days and haven't done much moving around then this could examine the swollen legs and feet. It's better to get it checked though, just to be safe.

Hope you're doing well apart from that. It's a lot to take in at first. Once you get your head around everything it's not too bad though. This forum is great if you have any questions or need any advice.

Take care.
Em

ellecook79

Hi,

From the moment I was diagnosed as Type 6 years ago I have suffered from oedema (swelling in feet and legs).

They are not certain why but it has been guessed that somehow the insulin just causes me to retain water.

I had hoped that over time this would reduce but it hasn't and I take coamilufruse twice dailt to keep the water levsl manageable. I have been told that it si likely that I will need to stay on these for life. I was referred to the kidney consultant who couldn't find anything sinister to cause the retention and so agreed to the coamilufruse to treat it.

Without the pills I can hold up to 12 extra pounds of water and being only 9 stone at most this can be very uncomfortable.

Hope you get i sorted.