Diabetes related.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I joined this forum in 2010' I have found it to be very educational and informative forum. I have learnt a lot from it more so than from the professionals. The main thing I don't understand is why a lot of people with diabetes seem to think everything else is linked to it ie, I've got a spot on my face is that because I'm diabetic? I don't understand this mentality at all or that some people blame themselves for being diabetic. I do not wish to offend anyone by this post it's I just don't understand the reasoning.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I think ignorance plays a large part here, where people assume things rather than understand the issues or find out about them.

Some people I know blame everything on being diabetic. It's quite sad really and they only stop moaning about it when I remind them that I am type one.

Mart

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I CAN see where the confusion may come from.

I'm 23 and was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago. Since then I've had a spot break out - big time! I got through all the teenage years with almost perfect skin. So I guess I could be forgiven for assuming that it's related to the type of insulin or something along those lines.

However I know better and have put it down to the stress of diagnosis and the adjustments I've had to make to my life. On the up side - that means I know it'll clear up too once I've gotten used to it and am stress free!

I guess if you don't know your own body you'll jump to conclusions

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I find the "what can I have for breakfast" posts a little odd ! I guess that's what makes up a forum though ! Different people with different concerns and priorities ! Still much more good stuff here though than bad ! I've learned a lot !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah69 said:
The main thing I don't understand is why a lot of people with diabetes seem to think everything else is linked to it ie, I've got a spot on my face is that because I'm diabetic? I don't understand this mentality at all

You have to understand Sarah that many conditions (but not all by any means) can be related to diabetes, carbuncles and boils can be a result of uncontrolled diabetes through high blood glucose.

I don't see the harm in anyone asking a question as no question is stupid IMHO, you have to remember a lot of these questions come from people who are newly diagnosed and have yet to grasp what diabetes is all about, if members can provide reassurance or advice to that person then surely that must be seen as a good thing.

Geocacher

Let's not forget that the same endocrine system that controls blood sugar also regulates most other hormone levels in the body.

Changes in medications and diet can trigger changes to other parts of that system. It's not uncommon for someone starting metformin to notice they get a few spots, or perhaps have a change to their monthly cycle. Metformin is also used as a common treatment for polycyctic ovaries because of the regulatory effect it has on the endocrine system as a whole.

True enough, everything isn't caused by diabetes or the treatment of it but, if nothing else has changed in your life, then it's a good place to start looking for a reason. Most often those changes are common and temporary and nothing more than the result of your body adjusting to a new version of what is normal for you. If in doubt, ask your GP. And when you do, be prepared to give all the facts and to state your concerns. You may be right, or you may at the very least give your GP useful information to help find the real reason.

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everybody is at a different stage of their journey as a diabetic,some have a lot of knowledge some new to the trip are rightly a bi t confused and interested to know what is happening

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because diabetes CAN cause a wide range of problems if not managed some people will then attribute any ailment to it; I think it's inevitable. The great thing about this forum and when these people come to it is that many of us can then respond and put things in perspective. I always appreciate that people have taken to trouble to 'Google' this site and ask questions in the first place. The worrying thing is those who don't know how to obtain more information or don't bother.

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attributed my chest pain to my type 2 db, it got so bad that on 25th sept last year I went into my local a&e. I thought they were going to tell me that I was fat and diabetic so go home, take some pills, lose weight etc. What they actually did was keep me in, did an Angiogram during which I died/flatlined they had to shock me to bump start me again. I then stayed in hospital for two weeks, got transferred to Harefield and had a multiple heart bypass. It's now coming up for 6 months since the op, and I realise that having diabetes isn't the worst that can happen, and I don't attribute anything to that anymore! I do seem to be getting to know my doctor a bit better!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Wow! i must have been misunderstanding what the forum is for, its not ok to ask questions about health issues that are concerning you? or maybee ask for opinions on whats the best approach for eating breakfast?, without my "stupid" questions i think i would have inploded, i very much appreciate evry time i get replies to stupid questions and hope i never trouble you with questions you dont like :(, what an awful topic

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Andy12345 said:
Wow! i must have been misunderstanding what the forum is for, its not ok to ask questions about health issues that are concerning you? or maybee ask for opinions on whats the best approach for eating breakfast?, without my "stupid" questions i think i would have inploded, i very much appreciate evry time i get replies to stupid questions and hope i never trouble you with questions you dont like :(, what an awful topic

As I said this isnt meant to offend anyone and it's not an awful topic. I just wanted to know why people do this. I have never ever thought like this. I have diabetes and everything else that may happen is a separate problem.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ok ill try and answer your question.... maybee its because people are terrified that they are developing diabetes related complications, i know i am, since being diagnosed 8 weeks ago, diabetes has basically consumed me, i think about it constantly i eat diabetes, drink diabetes sleep diabetes fart diabetes, everything that happens is related because im in terror of the disease, the reason i said this post is awful because i get the impression from the question and some of your replies that its not ok to ask questions silly or not, i will ask a question if it is worrying me, not because im bored, and the replies ive had have always reassured me and made me feel much better, now i dont understand why you would not think that isnt ok? you in my oppinion are suggesting that it is daft to associate every little thing to diabetes, well i hope if someone is being daft they can come here and be reassured, its only a silly question if you know the answer and your not the person worrying about it, ive tried searching the internet for things in the past and found so many different answers to the same question that its no help at all, ive come to trust peoples opinions on this forum therefore am much more comfortable asking questions to you guys, i know im obsessed with diabetes but cant help it.

im sorry for ranting no offense intended from me either

Andy

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
mo1905 said:
I find the "what can I have for breakfast" posts a little odd ! I guess that's what makes up a forum though ! Different people with different concerns and priorities ! Still much more good stuff here though than bad ! I've learned a lot !

is it not very important what we eat? why is this question odd? could you explain what a suitable question would be in the nutrition section?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Andy, my post was not intended to offen anyone and you're right that there is no such thing as a silly question. I guess my intention was that maybe some people worry a little too much over the slightest things. Can I eat an egg ? For example. I understand at present you are very worried and I hope in time this will lessen and learn to live with diabetes rather than being consumed by it. Sorry if I upset you. Wasn't my intention. I've more than likely asked some questions which others no doubt think are daft or pointless. Good luck and I hope things get easier for you.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im sorry, i love this place and shouldnt get tetchy, sorry

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
mo1905 said:

is it not very important what we eat? why is this question odd? could you explain what a suitable question would be in the nutrition section?

I'm with you on this Andy, food is ALL I think about now. If someone else hasn't asked that and the answers be there for me to read then I would have asked myself

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my case being consumed by diabetes and putting all my ills down to that meant that I went without a diagnosis for my heart trouble which nearly killed me. So now rather than be obsessed by diabetes I see my doctor when I have a worry! I also read this forum a lot, it's really useful!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I, like Andy, seem to ask a lot of questions. Very often I ay have an inclination of the right answer but its just re-assuring when others who are diabetic (especially T1 in my case) answer and confirm what you think. When you're newly diagnosed or maybe going through a really rough patch, nothing makes sense all of a sudden and hence we ask the most basic of questions which may seem a bit silly to others. Keep asking is what I say, no matter what, as there are others on the forum who will help no matter what and very often there are others who will be thinking the same. :thumbup:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Forums are also nice just to have an occasional rant too and sometimes just the act of putting your feelings into words relieves some stress and pressure !