Anesthetic

stuartclose

I had an operation on 14 March 2013, on going into hospital at 6.00am that morning my bs was 6.0, from coming home on the 15th March I cannot get my levels to even out to between 7 - 10 as they were before. I have added a couple of units to my insulin dose with no good results

any suggestions?

pauline

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
stuartclose said:
I had an operation on 14 March 2013, on going into hospital at 6.00am that morning my bs was 6.0, from coming home on the 15th March I cannot get my levels to even out to between 7 - 10 as they were before. I have added a couple of units to my insulin dose with no good results

any suggestions?

pauline

Hello pauline I hope you are recovering well from your operation. As for the blood sugars,it can take a few weeks or longer for the body to recover from an operation. Going into hospital for a surgical procedure can take its toll on the body, and everyone's recovery time can differ. To put your mind at rest, why don't you get in touch with your DSN and get some much needed advice. I do hope your levels get back to a good level soon

Take care with best wishes RRB

stuartclose

Hi Robin

thanks for your reply, yes I will contact my DSN next week when shes back from her holiday.

for interest, my operation was an anterior disc fusion, the last disc in my neck and the first in my spine and moved causing a nerve entrapment, now have a spinal cage over these discs and am screwed together!!!

its amazing the point of entry was to the right of my wind pipe and osopagesh (not spelt right), which they moved to perform the op, there is only a 2" scar showing.

cheers, Pauline

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm booked for a tonsillectomy in May. Did you get much advice before or after the surgery about control? I've only been T1 for about 6 weeks so I'm only just getting to grips with things as it is without anaesthetic being thrown in to the mix!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

After 'any surgery' the body pumps out the cortisol homone and adrenalin to aid
and speed up healing .
Cortisol is the bodies natural hormone when any trauma,injury,stress,inflammation,
cold,bug/virus affects our bodies.
It gets released in huge spurts and quantities self reduceing itself as things start to improve
in our bodies.

This is the best bit - as cortisol is released our BG levels 'get raised' it seems to spike them !
Hence why we 'can' have a few days/week of raised blood sugar levels .
Despite our best efforts they will stay raised/spiked 'upwards' .

I was in hospital myself just 2 weeks ago and have only just started to settle down with more
normal and stable BG levels .
Any surgery,aneasthesia,trauma,stress,bugs, affects our bodies as its 'invasive' ...
Our bodies were quite happy chugging along till the invasion of any of these things.

We can only do the best that we can at these times post operatively .
Test often , treat accordingly and drink plenty of fluids.
Eat,sleep,rest up well and take good care of ourselves .
When able get mobile and active again.

[ to avoid any confusion cortisol is the bodies own natural source and cortisone is the injectable steroid ]
My mother 'always' get's them muddled up! :roll:

Hope this can help anyone .

Anna.