low carbs

BILLYUTD

:wave: :oops: can anyone give me a list of low carbs? i want to start a diet as i have only found out 5 weeks ago i am diabetic, regards billy. :wave:

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
just stop eating starch

potato, beans, bread, noodles, rice, and of course sugar and fruits

the rest you can eat - just keep it within your calorie entitlement

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi Billy, welcome to the forum.
I am also newly diagnosed and by no means know everything about carbs, i learn something new everyday, to provide a list would be difficult because there are varying degrees of carbs in most foods, as previous post there are main food groups to avoid, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc, on saying that some folks eat a slice of bread a day maybee, if you are going to eat bread, try to eat granary or seeded if you are going to eat potato, eat new potatoes rice and pasta should be brown not white and this is just the beginning,i no longer eat hardly any of these although i do fall from grace on the granary from time to time, its no easy to figure out what you can and cant or should or shouldnt eat, then it depends on how low carb you want to eat, personally im working my way down you will be surprised at what foods are not very good from a carb point of view, for me i was shockd that weetabix or bananas where "bad" but then i read about people eating bananas and weetabix and getting on fine, in fact swearing by them as the right way to go, so its very very confusing and i suggest you just read read read and the bits you cant quite get your head around ask us :) i hope this has helped, people here know a zilion times more than me and will be able to explain things better, good luck
Andy

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BILLYUTD said:
:wave: :oops: can anyone give me a list of low carbs? i want to start a diet as i have only found out 5 weeks ago i am diabetic, regards billy. :wave:

Not all carbs are necessarily quickly translated into high blood sugar. The obvious ones for most people are sugar of course, white flours in bread or cake, white rice, potatoes. These are generally said to have a high GI or glycaemic index. Some foods have carbs which are of a medium glycaemic index and some a low glycemic index. Even though a foodstuff may have a lot of carbs, it can have a low GI and, whilst you start out learning about what does and does not work for you, sticking to low GI foods is a safe approach. Typically, low GI bread would be pumpernickel, ryvita, dark rye bread, some wholegrain breads. Some low GI pastas would be wholegrain pasta or low GI rice would be brown rice.

Some foodstuffs however may be described as wholegrain but in reality they don't contain many wholegrains at all. One supermarket bread described as such was found to only contain 6% wholegrains so, it takes some time and self monitoring to find things that you can rely on. Also, people's body metabolism differs, mostly due to genetic factors, so people react differently to different types of carbs, the type of sugar known as lactose in milk for example. You have to find out what works for you.

You can google low GI foods and there are many sites such as this one:

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/di ... tables.htm

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Billy
I personally feel that the best food is as natural as possible. We have no processed foods in our house, except a few biscuits I keep for my grandchildren.
We have meat, fish, cheese, eggs for protein and loads of veggies and salads, being careful with root veggies, which can be high in carbs. We use little fruit, very little bread [ and then Burgen soya and linseed], no pasta or rice. We cook!
We do use a little Natural wholemilk yogurt,some cream, whole milk. In fact everything as natural as is practicable.
Hana