really struggling

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been diagnosed nearly 8 years now. and have moved from dietary to metforming, and now to glicazide.

but since losing the comfort of metformin, I've been all over the place on testing, as high as 18 as low as 4. it's making me panicky, and I cant get docs to agree they've got this one wrong. metformin has been taken off my prescription too.

they've moved me from 4 metformin to 1 glicazide, along with pravastatin.

Hez14

Hi sorry to hear things aren't going to well. What was the doctors reasoning for taking you off the metformin. That's the one they like you to keep taking.

Your sugars are swinging about all over the place. Do you eat regular meals? And watch carbs.

Are you able to get a second opinion.

Hez

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
coreservers said:
Been diagnosed nearly 8 years now. and have moved from dietary to metforming, and now to glicazide.

but since losing the comfort of metformin, I've been all over the place on testing, as high as 18 as low as 4. it's making me panicky, and I cant get docs to agree they've got this one wrong. metformin has been taken off my prescription too.

they've moved me from 4 metformin to 1 glicazide, along with pravastatin.

One or two things strike me about this.

They have prescribed glicazide and pravastatin.
They have stopped the Metformin.

Something may have worsened in order for them to prescribe glicazide. Have you explained your thinking that the comfort of Metformin was helping. I am reasonably certain that if you wanted them to they would prescribe Metformin again. It may be that it will not actually help a lot but at least we will find out if it does.

The statin is surprising and I am not sure why they thought this would help but I suspect they are following the normal NHS party line that diabetes is progressive and there is not point treating diabetes without treating cholesterol and high blood pressure etc.

You have to talk to them and tell them your concerns.

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well i'm 3 stone overweight, it was the nurse that changed my meds from metformin to glickazide, I had no problems stomach wise or any wise with metformin, apart form occasional nausea. the statin is because my cholesterol was at 7.4

I think I was only at 8.7 on my last hba1c. then they changed. going atkins until they can sort this out. making an appointment tomorrow