Type 2 and on insulin

Hez14

Hi looking for some advice. Been on insulin now for 6 weeks my sugars have fell from around 15/16's to 9 they had been as low as 7.6 and thought I was getting somewhere I'm now up to 38 units in the evening and they are climbing back up to 9/11's I haven't changed what I am eating what other reasons could be affecting this that I might be missing.

As always your help is much appreciated.

Hez

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll watch this topic with interest as I'm having the same problem.

Got down to 6's and 7's then all of a sudden I get 11.6 and 10.8. No change to diet or excercise so unexplained.

When you went on insulin did you stop or reduce any tablets?

My diabetes nurse says it can take around 6 weeks to get them out of your system!

Hez14

No nothing has changed I was getting good results then just the past week they had crept back up. The o lay thing that's changed is I have had acupuncture that's the only thing! Think ill need to go back and get some more x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It might be interesting to know whether your weight has gone up or down during this time to try to understand what might be going on? I wonder whether some insulin resistance is building up? Are you on a low-carb diet and is your BMI somewhere mid-range?

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm the same, although I've been injecting since November. Sometimes my insulin needs will go down for a week or two then creep up again for no reason I can fathom. Maybe its the tides! :grin: I have yet to figure out my carbs ratio as its just too random. My DSN reckons that when a type 2's pancreas stops producing insulin, it will have days when it still produces a bitwhich messes up your insulin dose. When I started on Lantus, I was taking 39, then I had to put it up to 42,then 44 then back down to 43 as I started having hypos. Last week my BS was between 4.2 and 7.8,and I thought I'd finally got the hang of it, then this morning it was back up to 10.4. Sigh.