Byetta and driving

stephiesut

I am about to start Byetta injections for my type 2. I have also just started driving (passed my test last week!) my nurse said i have to inform DVLA of the Byetta, but the GOV.UK site said non insulin injections don't have to be reported. Des anyone know which is right? Also I haven't informed DVLA of my diabetes at all. I was diagnosed last summer shortly after I got my provisional license, and was so elated when I passed my test last week I forgot to tell the examiner about it, as he sent off for my full license. Do I need to contact the DVLA about this?

Viking

You should check the DVLA web site. I informed them when I was first diagnosed without problem. I am just about to start Byetta and will follow the advice on their web site, which does not require you to notify them. Only if you are on insulin. Just don't tell them you have had any hypos.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Viking

Sorry.. Your advice to not tell themif you have had hypo's is wrong and against the law.

Viking

Donnellysdog,

We will have to disagree on this . I am not aware that you have to tell them you have hypos, take a look at https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving this clearly states you Do Not have to inform the DVLA

"Diabetes treated by any other tablets or non-insulin injections
Car or motorcycle licence

You don’t need to tell DVLA. For further information read leaflet ‘INF188/2’. "

From the leaflet:

"By law you must tell us if any of the following applies:

You suffer more than one episode of severe
hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months"

The relevant word is severe. Therefore having the odd hypo, as most people will do at one time or another, you are not required to tell the DVLA, unless of course you don't want to drive anymore. People have fought long and hard to ensure that diabetics can drive and earn a living. Like most things, don't offer information and unless asked to do so.

The one thing I should have added to my original post is that all diabetics, who drive, should carry a hypo kit in the car such as glucose tablets or biscuits or a soft drink. If you do have an accident, you should be able to prove that you were not having a hypo, so you should have a testing kit in the car. However, this is easier said than done due to the difficulty of getting test strips etc.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your posting said 'do not tell them if you have any hypo's' plural... Giving carte blanche advice like that can be misconstrued...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also have a look on this website for the statistics on type 2 driving and hypo's etc..not good

Viking

You have to be very careful how you answer DVLA questions about hypos, otherwise you will lose your licence. There are several posts elsewhere on the forum about this. Well worth the read.

Do you work for the DVLA?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nope, I am one of those drivers that very nearly list their licence due to a hypo whilst driving.

There is a case to be honest with yourself and other drivers on the road... You go deliberately telling people not to inform if you have hypo's is wrong.

I been there actually having a hypo at the wheel and know the fallout from it.... I would never wish anybody else to go through it....

I had many postings on this website of the hell I went through, and got to know so many supportive people from it.

I am just advising that if you ate having hypo's that are notifiable.. You must do so. You must keep yourself and others safe...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being careful on answering questions, is different to not telling about hypo's

Viking

Being disabled, as is my wife, I value my licence. So I ensure that before driving I have had my meds and eaten properly and always carry some glucose tablets in the car. I have only had one very bad hypo (fortunately I wasn't driving) and ensure, as far as possible, that it won't happen again. Which means when driving a long distance I stop every 90 mins to eat. It doesn't do much for the weight, but it keeps me safe. So I am very careful how I answer DVLA questions, otherwise my wife and I would be trapped in our home. So yes I am quite honest with myself.

Have a nice day!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And it is only 'assisted hypo's' that are notifiable for more than once in one year, so I believe...

I

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you test before you start your driving journey and test every 2 hours while you are driving i cant see you having any problems. As others have said keep glucose tablets or similar in the car just in case. I believe the only Hypo's that have to be notified to DVLA are the ones where you have to have another persons help/assistance to bring you out of it. Tell your doctor if you do a lot of driving so he can give you extra test strips and make sure you test before every journey no matter how short.

rpoulter

To those who suffer hypo's when driving, does your car not have a brake pedal?? :***:

If you feel at all unwell then you should STOP driving at the next opportunity and test/eat.

As peecee said test before you set off. If you can't tell if you are going to have a hypo or hyper even then take the tester with you. Its not as if they are that large!!!

Common sense is obviously missing for some people on this forum at times. :shock:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having used a cgm for quite a while made me realise how quick levels can drop...personally I feel hypo's.. But I would never drive more than an hour without testing...