2 diabetes coming back

heleniaxy

What can keep type 2 diabetes from coming back? My mom has type 2 diabetes and the doctor said it was resolved after she lost over 100lbs but now she broke her ankle. She can't really move for 6 to 8 weeks and we live on the second floor in a studio. Is there anything we can do to make sure her diabetes doesn't come back?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat sensibly.
Involuntarily its all about what you put inside.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I too have to be aware that after losing my diabetes it could return. I have found this forum very helpful in changing what I eat to help me stay diabetes free for as long as pos. I have cut down on the amount of bread I have with a meal, a smaller portion of porage in the morning, no sugar only sweetner, just be aware of the carbs that are in all the foods we eat. Can you think of ways for your mum to exercise? perhaps some small weights she can hold to exercise her arms and upper body, anything to raise the metabolism a bit. If she had a wheelchair she would get some exercise wheeling herself around! My friend broke her ankle and I had to take her everywhere, but in the house she could wheel herself, and with the help of a walking frame she could do her own meal. (with some help from me!)
Good luck, Lee :wave:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wait! diabetes is curable? ive come to believe it isnt, id love to be wrong? and sheesh 100lb... she is incredible

Viking

Once diabetic, always diabetic however, good control keeps the figures down. Illness can make matters worse, so it might settle down again when the ankle heals.