what happens when.....

arrabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic!!!!
Hi all, I was diagnosed T2 a year ago & I am currently diet & metformin controlled. I have been told that at some point I will end up injecting which, if I'm honest I am terrified of! I know everyone is different but can anyone share their experience of what happens , how did you go from tablets to injecting & how easy was it for you? I'm hoping it is a little way off but I want 2 start 2 get it in my head now so it won't be such a shock 2 the system when the time comes. Many thanks, Emma.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
how about googling for sites like this one?

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6afys ... gress.html

Expert: DrDLove replied 405 days and 19 hours ago.

No, it is not inevitable, particularly as newer therapies have become available. Certainly, some people progress to the point that they need insulin, but it is not inevitable. You have also noted one of the keys reasons why it may not become necessary, as a diabetic that is able to lose weight and achieve ideal body weight will typically find that it is easier to control the diabetes, and may be able to get off all medicines altogether. The benefit of weight loss is achieved regardless of the means used to achieve the weight loss. There is some evidence that people with more severe obesity are more likely to achieve significant weight loss with surgery, and therefore more likely to benefit their diabetes, if present. But in persons that are able to achieve similar weight loss by lifestyle changes, there would be a similar benefit for the diabetes.

end of quote

and from me - keep your chin up because if you cut out those carbs you may NEVER need to inject insulin 4 times a day

arrabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic!!!!
Hi, thank you for such a quick response, I will check out the website u have sent me. Weight wise, I have lost over a stone since diagnosis but was never overweight. My nurse says I'm just unlucky as diabetes is not in the close family either. I'm eating well but trying 2 balance my intake of carbs because my weight has now got quite low & I can't afford 2 lose much more. A nurse on the DESMOND course told me that due 2 me being "different" i can expect 2 inject sooner rather than later! I intend 2 do all I can 2 prove her wrong but what she said sticks in the back of my mind. Thanks again 4 yr advice.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
arrabella said:
Hi, thank you for such a quick response, I will check out the website u have sent me. Weight wise, I have lost over a stone since diagnosis but was never overweight. My nurse says I'm just unlucky as diabetes is not in the close family either. I'm eating well but trying 2 balance my intake of carbs because my weight has now got quite low & I can't afford 2 lose much more. A nurse on the DESMOND course told me that due 2 me being "different" i can expect 2 inject sooner rather than later! I intend 2 do all I can 2 prove her wrong but what she said sticks in the back of my mind. Thanks again 4 yr advice.

good luck

I too want to keep away from injecting forever

if you google just how inevitable it is that you will progress to injections I am sure you will find information that may help you keep away from injections for longer