Anyone doing anything "unusual" to combat diabetes?

Nike69

Would love to hear about all the different / weird / wonderful things that people are doing that they feel are working to combat Diabetes

Nike69

Really???? Is nobody bucking the system? No one experimenting with different ways of healing? Anyone eating a spoonful of cinnamon a day? Or jumping on a trampoline for half an hour three times a day?
Someone must be doing something?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I'm a long time type 1, I can't combat type 1 ,but I do try to eat healthily, test alot and I'm always active, attend allmy appointments etc, so that's what I do to keep the dreaded D under good/reasonable control. Are you basically asking about Type 2?

Best wishes RRB

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes very unusual..... i aint eating anything i like lol, not eating 10+ takeaways a week broken up by every other junk food known to man, yup id say thats unusual..... i have been trying to pm you from previous post when you offered to explain how you make to bars, they sound great but i cant seem to pm you, i have no idea what im doing wrong :), sorry if i went off subject

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Type 2, LFHC, very little exercise because of foot problems and and I've stopped worrying about my levels and don't test as much as I used to. I'm not ignoring my diabetes but it's not the first thing I think about every day now. The first thing I think about is my cup of tea with single cream which I now absolutely LOVE after years of drinking tea with milk and never enjoying it, I now know what I needed was FAT! :D

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Anyone doing anything "unusual" to combat diabetes?

Type 2. No prescribed meds.
Taking fenugreek, African mango, flaxseed/oil, vitabiotics diabetone .
Cutting out all trans fats, hydrogenated oils and monosodium glutamate. Eating "lean and clean". Drinking matcha green tea.
Very good control at present, Hb1ac coming down still and good cholesterol levels.
Despite what i take, Diet is king, the "meds" are the insurance policy.
I've tried and had success with acai berry for inner cleansing and siberian ginseng.
Cinnamon don't do jack for me. Ceylon or cassia.

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

When I eat something I shouldn't I have a small Whisky, usually followed by another! Never too much, but then again never too little either! My morning levels never go higher than 8, usually about 6.2 if I've had a Whisky or 2 then they are usually in the 5 - 6 range. My total alcohol intake is probably less than 10 units per week, but it does seem to help.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Some times its good to try different things for every action there is a re-action so there must be food that lowers your sugar as quickly as it is raised, its yet to be found though from what I've researched so far
I am stemming the hunger cravings with Omelettes and protein drinks

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's a law of mechanics, so I don't see why it should apply to food and BG levels. I would love to find a food that actually lowers BG....maybe Dr. Who could find an antimatter version of glucose in a different universe? On the other hand, there's always exercise, Gliclazide, insulin or my favourite: alcohol!

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Apparently to much alcohol does lower blood sugar, destroys your liver though as it tries hard to disperse the alcohol

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take 1 tbsp. of cider vinegar before bed. Ive read many time it helps to reduce sugar level and I think its true

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

ewelina said:
I take 1 tbsp. of cider vinegar before bed. Ive read many time it helps to reduce sugar level and I think its true
I take it too and mix it with olive oil for salad dressings, I get the aspalls from Tesco and chill it in the fridge.
However some report it damages the lining on the stomach so it would be wise to keep the dosage in check just to be on the safe side:)
I literally could drink the stuff , the flavour has enhanced many a salad here.

@myroomsadisco

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes i love it with salads or mix with canned tuna. Sometimes use lemon instead. still cant decide whats better:)

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
so vinegar counteracts sugar levels then?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

carlrr said:
so vinegar counteracts sugar levels then?
Specifically a good Apple cider vinegar yes:)

@myroomsadisco

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been such a goody two shoes since being diagnosed 4 weeks ago and my BG as been upp in the twenties. I gave up drink as the Doctor and the nurse said I should Choclae been banned along with my other favourites!! From what I can see on this post its okay to be bad sometimes. I am going to be a rebel I am having a drink and a pudding when I go out just don't tell the Diet police :lol:

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about the typos it was the thought of having a grown up drink ie A jack Daniels :clap:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Eww, I don't think they meant you can go and stop being so good:) I'm sure they got themselves under control then experimented over time, please don't try alcohol therapy just yet :) just a thought

Bodybuilder type1

Nike69 said:
Really???? Is nobody bucking the system? No one experimenting with different ways of healing? Anyone eating a spoonful of cinnamon a day? Or jumping on a trampoline for half an hour three times a day?
Someone must be doing something?

Are you a guy or a girl and are you type1 or 2 ?

Nike69

Type 2, why is male or female important?

PLEASE DONT HAVE A DRINK AND A PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well only a tiny one anyway. Diabetes is proper proper serious. You need to take it seriously.

I posted this thread because I am not using any meds and am controlling by diet and life style change only. I have been trying to find others but its hard. This thread is the first time I have seen people suggest stuff that a DN usually does not.