How old were you when you were diagnosed?

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 35 8.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • 22-30

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 52 13.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 37 9.4%

• Total voters

norfolkadam

I was diagnosed at 18 with T2. I went in with a urinary tract infection and they did my urine glucose at the same time and found it was incredibly high.

Rachel J B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
couple months before 6th birthday. 1976. Huge shock to my whole family> I had 9 older siblings at the time! :eek:

Paul Buckton

I was 36 when I was diagnosed with Type 1, Feb 1996. The same month My daughter was born. The doctor suggested it was brought on by stress but it seems odd and at that time there was no diabetes in the family.. Since then both my parents developed type 2.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
8 years old type 1. Im 52 now.

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
I was 24 ,and type 2 ,But i think i was 1.5 my self i take a lot of insulin ,And Tablets a day :D But am ok .This is my first post .Hi All

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

Jenn1f3r

I was 3 at the time but probibly had it for several months before diagnosis due to incompetent doctors where we lived at the time :roll:

teddy2702

hi I'm new to the forum I was diagnosed in 1968 I was 6 I'm now 50. How times have changed my parents had to boil and reboil time after time needles and syringes and my blood machine was the size of a video tape.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nessals

i was 6 years old,i remember going to the hospital and crying because i didnt want an injection,i had to be held down! That was 37 years ago.

roo.be

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@teddy2702. I'm with you here, diagnose age 3 in 1973. Also had a blood tester the size of a video! Before that I had to add pee and water to a test UBS ad drop in the magic tablet! We boiled needles for re-use and sterilised syringes in surgical spirit. Oh how things have changed. I now have a meter that talks to my pump!

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Muddie said:
My little boy is 2 yrs old and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 1 x
To Muddie & all the others whose children have been diagnosed recently, and you are still learning what it is all about,

I strongly advise that you buy these two books as a starter ..

1. Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes (Chris Cheyette)
Buy this excellent book that provides clear pictures of nearly every food you might need.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0956 ... 01_s00_i01

2. Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Ragnar Hanas)
Don't get put off by the title since the principles apply to all Type 1 diabetics.. a really excellent book with great detail in all aspects of managing diabetes. If you only buy one book …. this is the one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-1-Diabetes ... gnar+Hanas

Knowledge is the key to good diabetes control ......
Jonty

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
JontyW said:
Muddie said:
My little boy is 2 yrs old and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 1 x
To Muddie & all the others whose children have been diagnosed recently, and you are still learning what it is all about,

I strongly advise that you buy these two books as a starter ..

1. Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes (Chris Cheyette)
Buy this excellent book that provides clear pictures of nearly every food you might need.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0956 ... 01_s00_i01

2. Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Ragnar Hanas)
Don't get put off by the title since the principles apply to all Type 1 diabetics.. a really excellent book with great detail in all aspects of managing diabetes. If you only buy one book …. this is the one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-1-Diabetes ... gnar+Hanas

Knowledge is the key to good diabetes control ......
Jonty
And how many of you have actually got either of these two books .. I would be interested to know, so please confirm if you possess 2. Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Ragnar Hanas).

The reason that only 1 in 20 of diabetics are attaining their HbA1c targets is because of ... lack of education & knowledge on how to manage their condition :-(