Trop50 juice sweetened with stevia

Embabe25

Tropicana have a new fruit juice out called trop50. It's sweetened with stevia instead of aspartame. The orange one has 3.9g of carbs per 100ml. Stevia is thought to promote insulin production http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

I was struggling to find a drink that had no artificial sweetners but this stuff is fabulous. It's expensive but really tasty.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bernskins

Hi
I bought some of this at the weekend and while it tasted nice & orangey at first I found it had a funny aftertaste.
Only tried the orange, maybe will give the apple a go!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it a bit watery (trop 50) but what i did find was del monte do a stevia sweetened range of juices called naturally light in three flavours:
Pineapple and lime:lol:
Superfruits:)
Mango and papaya.:-?
I haven't tried the last one but the other two are really nice.
At 50 calories per glass, it's not bad for the waistline either.

Embabe25

Ooh need to look out for that.

The apple is nice and the blueberry and pomegranate is nice too.

I haven't noticed an aftertaste but then I'm just so glad to find a nice juice without sweetners I'm not fussed about an aftertaste

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The superfruits:

Per 100ml : 4.5g (of which sugars 4.5g)
Per 250ml: 11.3g ( of which sugars 11.3g)

50 calories

The pineapple and lime:

Per 100ml: 5.8g (of which sugars 5.8g)
Per 250ml: 14.5g (of which sugars 14.5g)

63 calories:)

In supermarkets Its opposite or alongside the bottled water. Not refrigerated like the Tropicana.
One it's open though, fridge it;-)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok go to tesco and don't go to the refrigerated juices.
You will find it opposite the bottled waters near the famous swingers aisle 7;)

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I found this stuff way too sweet for me. I've tried the orange, orange and mango and the apple. :( I was hopeful with it to begin with and thought it may just be that I hadn't found the right flavour but it's teeth curlingly sweet in all of them. :eh:

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit juice in a low carb forum ? Hmm.

Geocacher

Tried Trop50, also tried stevia tablets for use in tea... couldn't make it past the vile aftertaste. Give me aspartame or sucralose any day, at least they taste pleasant. If I must have something sweet, I want to enjoy it.

I also find that the carbs they list are deceptive, 100 ml of juice is less than a child's serving.

sip

I have to take Lactulose for hepatic encephalopathy, and the stuff is OK the first time you take it but by the time you get to the 2nd or 3rd dose, you feel sick so I mix my dose with orange cordial to mask the taste. I read up about stevia (it is natural and safe, unlike artificial sweeteners which have some nasty side effects, contain carcinogens, etc) and sent my kids round to get me some Trop50. Can't get it in the local branches of big supermarkets so going to have to widen the search for this stuff.

The US website offers more variety than the UK/EU stuff -- you can get this stuff with added Vitamin D and so on, but not in the UK apparently. My Vitamin D level is very low and I need 5000iu of Vit D every day and due to other medical conditions can only take one particular formula which is not available through the NHS, so I'm gorging myself on anything that's fortified with Vit D -- I would like to try Vit D fortified Trop50 which I can't get here. Well, either that or move to the tropics where the sun shines every day ( :lol: -- Trop50 is Tropicana as in "the tropics")