mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well said Peter ! I must admit not everyone receives the greatest achievement but on the whole, we are very lucky ! I certainly have no complaints with my treatment !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sula

I thing everyone including all diabetics have something to complain about when the NHS is funding breast enlargement operations to the tune of £4500 for someone who wants to be a so called 'glamour' model. I am a T2 and have not received so much as 1 test strip, I was given no dietary information or help. I got all my information from this site it was a God send. After being diagnosed I had to wait 18 months for a retinal scan. But as far as I am concerned the only thing I want for my diabetes is test strips, I don't want anything else from them. I have now put myself on The Newcastle Diet and I can manage without the help/interference of the NHS. I have been on the diet 3 days now with all my B/S readings below 5.4, I previously controlled it with a low carb diet. The diet is hell but hopefully I may have put things into reverse.

Munchers

Quote:
'Clearly here the doctor is prescribing an adequate supply of insulin, if more were prescribed it would either mean you need closer attention/modification of insulin type or dosing, This is in your interest. As to the 'mix-up' before you travelled, that, friend, is down to you and your poor planning'

Engage brain before mouth please. As I said earlier I had been receiving a level on insulin and without any consultation or discussion this was reduced. I have discussed this issue with other doctors and agreed to increase my prescription back to a reasonable level. On both occasions another doctor changes without consultation or discussion. With regards to my holiday, I did plan and submitted a repeat prescription and wrote on the prescription that I was travelling.

What should I do? Make an appointment with a doctor every time I want to travel, leave home or sneeze? No, I manage my diabetes well as I am repeatedly told at the clinic at St Barts. As for criticising my doctors / surgery - I made it clear in my first post that I do not want to leave the surgery as it is excellent, I just am concerned over the treatment I receive from one doctor.

And finally, I asked for comments to help me understand how others are being treated. Maybe I should have said useful comments.

de130770

you can ask your doctor for a 6 munth perscription but you will need to go to the chenest every munth to colect it.
that way you only get 28 days in a munth i box of each of the pens 1 box of needles but on each colection of the perscription you can ask your doctor for a second box of needles to cover the 6 munths
david and guide dog lassie

mrawfell

Munchers said:
I've raised with Doctor who refused to budge unless I jumped through a whole set of hoops. I then saw another doctor who increased my prescription but the this never lasts. After the last incident I was told (by receptionist who talked to doctor) that I couldn't have more than one box until I had seen the nurse at the surgery (because I hadn't seen her for over 12 months). I just can't take this continued withholding reasonable levels of insulin unless I do everything she says.
Sorry but how is a receptionist able to discus a patients requirements ?

Munchers

I checked my latest repeat prescription and when I saw that it had been reduced again I told the receptionist (where I had collected the prescription) that it was wrong. She went off to speak to a doctor and came back with a message that basically said "that's your lot, mate, now on your way like a good little boy". It was best I left at that point ................. so I did!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Whilst I agree that in these cases where prescriptions have been reduced it would have been nice if things were explained, there is some common sense in it too. As far as I can tell, no doctor has said you have to start taking half your insulin or tablets yet ? I think it just means you have to put your repeat prescription in more often. Now, I'm not suggesting anyone here would stockpile meds but I assure you it does happen. It costs the NHS millions ! Some people have 6-8 weeks of something and then their meds change or something. It happens. I know it can be very frustrating but there is some sense there.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

plp

Hi all. I have no complaints at all about my docs or the quantity of insulin etc. I get with each repeat.

My comment is that we should all be grateful we get it free of charge, no matter how much or little we use.

We were in America several years ago and were amazed at the price of insulin on the shelves in a supermarket - ON THE SHELVES - not behind the counter! Granted it had security tags :roll:

Whilst we were looking a guy came to us and spoke to us saying that he was continally trying to reduce his insulin intake because he couldn't afford to buy enough to be able to eat as he had before the diabetes. Now that's sad as far as I'm concerned, he was six foot tall and thin as a lathe having lost about 60lbs since he became diabetic. He worked for a living, had a wife and 2 kids, not a ner do well.

The docs are only trying to stop waste!