Type 2 thinking of Low Carbing

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am thinking of a trying a low carb diet as I cannot seem to shift my weight down and I need to lose about 6 stone. So far I have been unable to escape pasta, rice, and potatoes, but I have recently been told to snack on carrots, celery and cucumbers to suppress my hunger. Can anyone who has low-carbed suggest on what I should eat as I have read a few guides and they have said different stuff.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost that 6 stone last year and am also T2.
I just eat less.
eat lots of veg and fruit.
Snack on fruit and veg also.
Lots of fish and less meat.
No junk food and drink.
Drink just tea and water.
Walk everyday for more than an hour.
record everything on myfitnesspal.com
i was eating 1200cals a day until my goal weight.
now to hold it I eat 1700 cals.
I have to say i miss nothing of the old foods i eat but have found new delights to replace them.
I am flexible fit and it cost me a fortune to buy all new cloths and even shoes. Yes you feet are fat also.
Buying the cloths with a big smile on your face as i went from 2XL to medium and sometimes small.

Motivation is the key. It was easy for me a heart attack that nearly killed me was all i needed.

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost 6 stone last year and my HbA1c is now 5.6. I have cut the potatoes right down but still have sensible portions of basmati rice or pasta. I have increased heavily on veg, lentils, beans and pulses. Books by Antony Worrall Thompson (diabetes and low GI), other GI diet books and the hairy dieters book have some fantastic lovely tasting recipes which are filling but low calorie, low carb and just good for you.

maggie2

Hi have been a type 2 for over just a year and by going on the low carb diet I managed to lose over a stone. don't need to lose much more so am lucky there. I was guided by Whitbyjet who has some wonderful recipes and advice but you do have to be strict with yourself until you get to your desired weight. I found it so confusing when I started but now it's second nature but do occasionally break out and treat myself. I'm an old chook so my readings according to my doctor here in France are slightly different to a young chick :eh:
I look on the internet all the time and check out new recipes and find new sites to make meals more interesting. I also check if I'm unsure if something is low carb or not. At my age life is too short to get overly worried and life is for living but get your readings correct first as it's a serious condition as you are aware.. This is a great forum and I have found it invaluable but it's your body and you are the only one who can look after it.
Take care and have courage. If you stick to the rules you'll come out smiling and be proud of your achievement. :D