Low Carb Success

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
I totally agree with you Juicyj, I have been low carbbing for 6 weeks now and have lost 24lbs. only 108lbs to go lol. Down 2 sizes in clothes. just spent 2 days on E'bay shopping for new stuff.
BGs are 5s and 6s, which I think are good for just 6 weeks after diagnosis. type 2 btw.

Apart from being constipated :oops: and some horrendous headaches( which maybe due to my hydracephilis) I have much more energy, my partner told me today that my snoring is a lot less noisey. Apparently I don't raise the roof now lol.

I'm a very simple sort of girl (where food is concerned) don't like much veggies, don't like much meat. so my meals can be very boring. I put a little garlic salt on most meals just to give it a wee lift. but the way I see things now, is that Diabetes if not controlled properly can cause me more health problems than I can handle. eg I saw an orthopaedic surgeon last week to talk about knee replacements, he informed me that with hyadracephilis and diabetes the chances of infection post op is trebbled, and lets just say the rest was scary enough to keep me on low carb diet for the rest of my days without complaint.

Yes it's very hard going some days but the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. keep eating carbs and being unhealthy against not eating them and being healthy. no contest.

I hope you're doing okay.
Good health to you all

vonbon

Reactions: 2 people

misterdj

Firstly great news lesley ann on your progress. Secondly i can heartily recommend the following book The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by volek and phinney. It gives the science behind LCHF diets. From memory it says that there will initially be an increase in cholesterol but that it's not a problem and will settle back down. I also got the initial thumbs up from my GP on using a LCHF diet so here's to more enlightenment in the nhs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

misterdj

Vonbon, the book i mentioned above says that constipation and headaches are down to lack of salt. A low carb diet tends to increase fluid loss and therefore salt loss. They recommend 5g salt a day.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on the LCHF lifestyle for 3 months and today had my diabetes review.
Bear in mind these results are in 3 months:
Weight down by 7.6kg
BMI down by 3.1
Blood pressure down from 120/80 to 112/70
Total Cholesterol up by 0.1
HDL up by 0.4
HbA1c 41 (5.9 in old money), down from 58 three months ago and 103 at diagnosis
Diabetes nurse very :D
To say I am chuffed would be an understatement
LCHF vindicated in my experience
:clap: :crazy: :clap: :crazy: :clap:

Hi LesleyAnne2,

First let me congratulate you on your progress on the LCHF Diet, as you seemed to of found what works for you, so keep up the good work, as it can only get better and easier from here on in, Okay!!! Don't punish yourself if you have a bad day, or two, as this can happen for a number of reasons that are totally out of ones control, but as long as you continue to do what works for you then these bad day's, should be few and far between.

So take care over the Christmas and New Year holdays, as we are all tempted to over indulge at this time of the year, especially if we go home to spend this time with family. Well I've taken up enough of your time, so I'll say bye for now wishing you and your family all the best for Christmas and the New Year and hope to catch up in the New Year, so until then take care, Okay!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vonbon, the book i mentioned above says that constipation and headaches are down to lack of salt. A low carb diet tends to increase fluid loss and therefore salt loss. They recommend 5g salt a day.

sounds like a good excuse for a bag of pork scratchings... yum..