fresh oysters

maggie2

I demolished 6 beautiful fresh oysters yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed them and then had a guilt feeling. Are they high in carbs?
Have googled but got conflicting answers. Anyone know please?

garythegob

Hi, according to an app i have got, 1 medium oyster contains 8mg of cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 22.8mg potassium, 0.1g total carbohydrates, and 7 calories

Hope this is some help!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
http://www.carb-counter.net/fish-shelfish/1935

I suppose it all depends on what you had with it. To me, they don't seem *too* bad unless they're breaded. 6 fresh oysters cooked on a dry heat totals 4.3g of carbs.

Edit: By the looks of it, the carb count varies massively between sources :shock:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Why on earth would you cook oysters ?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anything that is/was alive doesn't contain many carbs

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ewelina said:
Anything that is/was alive doesn't contain many carbs

Plants are alive so that statement is not strictly true is it?

I know what you mean though :wink:

maggie2

I eat them with fresh lemon juice. Yum yum! Have enjoyed oysters kilpatrick in the dim and distant past. Certainly can't afford to eat them often and I think this was the first time in many years. Did enjoy though :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I can't imagine shell fish having much in the way of carbs. thus it's down to what you had with them. did you check your blood glucose?
Hana

maggie2

No. Don't do it at home as my doctor just it in the surgery every so often. No problems at all to date.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
maggie2 said:
I eat them with fresh lemon juice. Yum yum! Have enjoyed oysters kilpatrick in the dim and distant past. Certainly can't afford to eat them often and I think this was the first time in many years. Did enjoy though :thumbup:
Hello Maggie ...
You are 'brave' and I am pleased you enjoyed them so much :)

Are they terribly expensive ?

I have 'never' tried them as am too squeamish too do so ...
Always avoided and declined any opportunity to try these .
I know - am bit daft 'probably' :|

What 'do' they actually taste like ?
Slimey? Salty? Zinc/metallic in taste ?
Are there any benefits to eating them with Diabetes?

Anna.

Lucyturner

My dad got me to try them once when I was in France and the only thing I can liken it to is how I imagine eating a shell full of snot. Needless to say I didn't like it at all.

Lucy

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Lucyturner said:
My dad got me to try them once when I was in France and the only thing I can liken it to is how I imagine eating a shell full of snot. Needless to say I didn't like it at all.

Lucy

This is what I have feared it may feel like :sick:
Gagging in my reflux too ... :sick:

Still can't/wont appeal to me .

Anna.

maggie2

I think they are probably an acquired taste. My husband will not touch them with a bargepole. They are very slightly chewy but soft and glide down the back of the throat easily. I love them as you can tell. We went to very good french restaurant in a little village near us in the Dordogne (only fish) and for six it cost 9euros90. £8.38. Food in france is costly but the french tuck into a hearty lunch every day but mind you sometimes they have luncheon vouchers which must help. Overall I'm not impressed with their so-called gormande cooking . Yesterday was exceptional and we enjoyed but I have to say will not be going out again any day soon :(
I have no idea whether they're good for diabetes but I think if you really want to give something a try and it's a one off, then why not indulge yourself. You can get so miserable constantly being deprived
and unless your readings are off the clock then I don't see why you shouldn't have a little of what you fancy :D now and again. Even once a year would be exciting and even more so when you probably know you shouldn't. lol
My mother was type2 and an never eat anything with sugar in it . Low carb dietting wasn't heard of in her day. She just stuck to the rules and for which I have much admiration. She died aged 98 through choice and not bad health. I haven't inherited the same strength of character :oops: