Hi

Muddie

Hi my little boy was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 1 . He's 2 yrs old and it came as a massive shock !! Neither me or my husband have any family history of diabetes ! I was very ignorant to the condition and over the last 2 weeks it has been a massive learning curve !!! He's doing really well with his 4 daily injections , only trying to avoid the topic a few times !! I am really proud of my brave boy xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Re: Hi

Sorry to hear your news but kids cope well ! Especially with supportive, knowledgeable parents ! Keep asking questions and reading the forums ! Good luck ;-)

Muddie

Thankyou , he's doing really well !! The hardest thing is testing his blood in the night , it wakes him up and he's hysterical, we struggle to get him settled again, poor little thing x

MrsDMiles

Hello muddie
My little boy is 3 in June and diagnosed 6 weeks ago, I'll be honest I'm heart broken :( you sound really positive, I feel guilty that I can't be :( Oscar is doing really well too, takes it all in his stride but I'm a mess x x

BADEST WOLF

I've said this before but here goes. I was diagnosed age 2. In 1967 my mum hated herself for doing the injections but S the doctor told her. Do the jabs or he dies. Simple harsh but true. I'm now 47 been doing own jabs since age 7 it's part of my life nowt can do but get on with it on the plus side when my mum was doing the jabs for me she had to use metal & glass syringes with reusable metal needles
I've stil got the gun I used when I started it fired the needle into my leg now the needles are 1/3 size of the ones I used so thing are so much better these days

Muddie

Hi Mrs D Miles ,
I have to admit I have cried and questioned things a lot !! I have found it hard to get my head around the fact my little boy will never know a life with out needles and restraints !! I think what has helped me is the weekend he was diagnosed we spent 4 nights in hospital on a children's ward . It made me realise that my little boy is not ill, he can still live the life he was going to, and may even be healthier through it !!! We have a fantastic diabetic team helping us at every turn , so we don't feel alone . I hope you manage to come to tens with things too but I do know how you feel xx

MrsDMiles

Hi Muddie
I have good days and bad, I just seem to cry every time I need to do an injection or test his blood, can't believe it's happened to my baby, I just wish it was me. Wish I could take it away. But I've got to stop feeling like this, I'm ruining his life, my marriage. I have a 10 day old new baby girl, I've got to be strong I know. Sorry for feeling so negative. They say it'll get easier. I hope it does. The future scares me. The possible complications :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Complications AREN't inevitable......

Muddie

Hi Mrs D Miles,
First of all congratulations on the birth of your little girl !! I am not surprised your all over the place especially with your hormones at the moment , it's hard enough to get your head around as it is with out a new baby to care for !!! It's very easy to feel negative and my poor husband has seen my endless tears and anger . I can't believe it's been 2 weeks today that my world felt like it had ended but I can see a happy future a head and will cross any bridges if and when we reach them . We go on holiday on 5 weeks so that's the next big hurdle to cross xx

MrsDMiles

Hey
I think a holiday is just what I need! I know it'll all be ok, it as to be. Suppose I'm just scared. If he keeps good control as he gets older can he be complication free?
Muddie is your little boy at nursery? Oscar is due to start in September worried about that too x x

Muddie

Hi theo , my little boy goes to a childminder , she has been absolutely amazing !! The diabetic nurse went to see her and she's ok with doing his insulin etc !!! He starts pre school in September which will be scary xx