Having constant hypos - Please help!

Hey all,

I've read through a few of these discussion topics and threads, but never posted myself. I've had Type 1 Diabetes since I was 2 (almost 25 years), and have always had ups and downs, but for the past few weeks I can't seem to stop having moderate to severe hypos. I've already lowered my long-acting insulin (both the morning and evening doses)about 8 days ago, and have lowered my short-acting as well to try and cope, but I'm still going low all the time (several times a day).

My diabetes is difficult to deal with at the best of times, because I have several other illnesses that affect my diabetes, including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. Because of these illnesses, some days are good, but most are bad (health-wise). It's also very difficult to tell what my sugar levels will be like from day to day because of this, or if a dosage will be enough for what I'm eating. For example, sometimes a bowl of cereal (about 30g carbs) will warrant about 3 units of my short-acting insulin, whereas other times I'll have to take 4 or only 1, with the same amount of cereal because the insulin works too well or it just wasn't enough.

So for the past 2.5 weeks I've been steadily decreasing my short-acting insulin intake, and now I'm afraid to take any whenever I eat, because I will just go low. And because I'm going low so often, I feel like I'm in a constant state of dealing with the effects of a reaction all the time.

If anyone has any suggestions or can help in any way, I would be unbelievably grateful!

- Dini

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hello Dini,

I suffer diabetes (type I) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome myself. Most people suffering both together seem to be having problems too. I am in the process of organising some hormonal test myself to try and track the problem down. This seems to be such a major problem that we need a telephone support group all of our own!

Two obvious questions:
What is your ratio of Insulin to Carbs?
Do you only have hypoglycaemias or do you also have high blood sugars?

I would love to keep in touch and find our how your getting on.

Brian