not sure what is meant

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
we all know its best to test 2hrs after a meal but during those 2hrs do you exercise or sit and watch TV to get the correct reading

Defren

celast said:
we all know its best to test 2hrs after a meal but during those 2hrs do you exercise or sit and watch TV to get the correct reading

I exercise after dinner, but it's personal choice and what you feel helps you.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I have wondered why we are supposed to check our reading on an empty stomach but we spend most of the time throughout the day consuming food so it will always raise slightly

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
carlrr said:
I have wondered why we are supposed to check our reading on an empty stomach but we spend most of the time throughout the day consuming food so it will always raise slightly

a fasting test eg before breakfast shows how well or otherwise your blood sugar is being controlled without the confusion of glucose entering the blood stream from food you just ate.

It's a "background" level against which you can judge the effect of eating as well as getting a feel for how well you're under control generally.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not sure why the 2 hour time for PP testing seems so important. We hit peak of BG about 70 minues after commencing a meal and what we ate[ especially how much fat] affects how long that meal takes to process, so 2 hours is just a number. It doesn't give much useful information. I wouldn't call it necessary .
Hana

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I also wondered this ,thanks for posting it, I also don't get why I can be 8 before eating and 5.5 after.

Viking

Just carry on with what ever you need to do, don't let it rule your life. I try to check before breakfast, always a good time. I do sometimes check after a meal, sometimes two hours sometimes longer. At the moment I am checking more often as my readings are not good, for a variety of reasons, hopefully to be sorted soon.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
carlrr said:
we spend most of the time throughout the day consuming food so it will always raise slightly

Do we?

I spend under an hour most days eating and that includes breakfast, lunch and diner.

Do you really spend most of your day eating?

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I have breakfast at 7:30, morning break smoothie and crackers, lunch, afternoon tuna crackers, tea, supper

So yes throughout the day I spend my time eating to maintain my weight, my cards are fairly low and my protein is high

I am by no means overweight,

So throughout my day food consumed plays an important part and my BG is always bound to be increased