Diagnosed last Thursday 28th or was I?

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Great !!!!!!!!!!!!! checked tonight and im back down to 14.7 ..... that was a very severe spike today just out of the blue.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I am terribly irate when my levels are above 13 is this normal?

sharonValerie

How did it go with the doctor yesterday. I am type 1, when my levels are really high I always feel exhausted and every thing I do is an effort, including breathing. I am usually iritable when the values are really low, I can also be argumentative and very difficult. Everyone is different so you will just have to wait and see. How have your values been today?

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
well they put me on Gliclazide 80mg 2 per day, I think I will need insulin to get my BG down though Nurse seemed to think my Diabetes is type 1.5, however the doctor doesn't want to bring it down to fast as it may damage my eyesight permanently.
My readings today were 15.1 this morning before breakfast and 18.1 at tea time so they haven't balanced out as of yet
Its a waiting game at the moment, my diet is low carb, high protein because I want to maintain my weight.
I do find that I am very argumentative, very irritable, not so much tired now though.
Do you find you can control yourself better with insulin?

elaine77

I had a feeling you were type 1.5, I am too apparently although I'm not at the insulin stage. I have read on here though that it makes a massive difference as soon as you go onto insulin and that many wish they had have went onto it sooner so it sounds all good if you're ok with the idea of injections. You can also eat pretty much whatever you want which can't be bad :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tree-peony

Carl,

Waving from Wales as well :)

It took me nearly 6 months to get my levels down to an acceptable(ish) from about where you started. I can't eat anything like shredded wheat, bread or potatoes at all. A Ryvita is a treat! So are sweet potato chips. It might be an idea just to try without them for a few days and see how you get on? My morning levels now are generally in the 5-5.5 range :)

Hope this helps :)

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
6 months without breakfast, that is not going to be easy, I am caning the protein and the carbs are pretty much under 50grams today

The diabetic nurse told me to get 300mg carbs down me a day to maintain my weight

Reading at 21 this morning first thing, and 15.1 at tea time

My eyes are pretty much useless for reading at the moment and they arnt improving the Gliclazide and Metformin dont seem to be improving anything at the moment

Probably be better of on Insulin, it will end up that way eventually

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is the different carbs ie: complex and simple

Complex carbs release slower into the blood stream than simple carbs

Veg and pasta are complex and fruit is simple

Example a banana would give you pretty much instant energy and then drop and a potato would take about 45 mins to trickle into your system and then trickle out

So many questions at the moment and not really enough answers, I expected to get down under 10 on these meds and the diet I have been sticking to

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
even having trouble reading these posts, as soon as I try to focus it goes blurred

elaine77

Hi Carl, if you aren't getting them down with the meds and diet then I think you should ask and discuss with ur doctor about going on to insulin. My consultant told me that if my levels started to creep up despite diet and my tablets then to contact him straight away for the transition onto insulin, he was quite strict about it!

With regards to different carbs, that's what I did. Although I don't eat sugary things at all like sweets etc... I haven't cut all my carbs down, what I did was change all my normal carbs for low GI ones and have smaller portions and that's working for me - at the moment anyway! Oh and I never double carb...for example I would never have rice and bread in one meal or potatoes and bread etc....

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Hi

I think it definatly needs somthing to bring it down to at least single figures, perhaps my eyesight will come back then

Its mad really I am very iritable and my vision is pretty bad when I try to focus,

Apparantly they dont want to drop my BG to quick as it may risk permanent damage

I am pretty much carb depleting at the moment but it isnt dropping

Its omlette, chicken and fish time for now

elaine77

Maybe you should think about discussing going onto low doses of insulin to bring you down lower? Your body obviously can't do it by itself and is struggling... The fact you're going down a bit but then up but then down a bit sounds like fluctuation rather than ur meds actually working... Even on insulin I'm sure they can bring it down gradually with small doses? I would definitely consider discussing it anyway, I can't believe it hasn't been suggested as you're really high... I never go above 8.5 mmol and I'm only on Metformin......

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I am going to do just that when I see the nurse again this Friday even though it will be a truggle all week with my vision

Thanks for your posts, its a help to have advice from someone with experience

Even carb depleting is not bringing my BG down

blackcat79

Im on 3 pills n rarely go below 7 nbthen only if i dont eat for hours n ion my feet working hard at work but cos im overweight so they say i cant have insulin they want to try vitoza (sp) injections if my dam doc can pull his finger out n do referals that they asked him to do 5 wks ago as got bad stomach n chest pains to need to check its not my pancreas etc as shouldnt be getting as much pain for my herina but hes not done them!!! Grrr so cant have injections as if its my pancreas i cant have them either. Insulin puts weight on hence i cant have it yet :-(. Im defo type 2 as had GADA test n it was neg. So im stuck with high BS 10.5- 18 with lows of 7.2 at work when not eaten.
NHS is rubbish they go on about control n low levels yet dont really help u get them!!! Grrrrr!
Sue

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Carl,
I was thinking maybe you could be a lada, it's certainly a possibility if you aren't overweight but it's something your doctor maybe have considered and then excluded, always worth considering. Sorry I can't add anything else as am a type 1 and not familiar with the intricacies of type 2’s so will leave it to the people who know. Good luck with the sugars.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
carlrr said:
I am going to do just that when I see the nurse again this Friday even though it will be a truggle all week with my vision

Thanks for your posts, its a help to have advice from someone with experience

Even carb depleting is not bringing my BG down

Carlrr.

I was just like yourself - a real trougher and peaker with high BG levels.
Yo-yo'ing daily without and with food constantly errattic making no sense despite all my best efforts!
Eating very little and small portions too .
The HCP's [healthcare professionals] do seem to try diet and tablets 'firstly' then if this fails to
bring high BG levels down - they will move onto other options.
In my case it was the victoza peptide pancreas mimicker then 3-4 months 'later' it was clear
insulin was needed for me .

We are all different - it would be wise to mention "all of your issues" , including your very blurred vision
as well as the errattic high BG levels you are yet experiencing .
Write a list of questions you would like to ask the DSN when you go and ask them ...
It will be seen as proactive and positive . [jot the answers given down]
Take along a family member or friend for support .

You are right to be concerned and need to ask for help from your own GP/DSN .

Hope this can help you.
Do let us know how things go .

Anna.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Thanks Anna

I am contemplating going to A&E to push the insulin issue, unless I wait for Friday and see what they say

I am under the impression that you can use insulin with the meds and then come off the insulin and manage with meds when your levels are down

I think general readings of 13.5 to 15.9 are to high and spikes in the 21 - 26 are damaging

My diet is pretty much ok and the carbs are non existent, if I raised them slightly now my BG would go up

However the nurse said they don't want to drop it to quick in case of permanent damage to the eyes but then leaving it high over a period of time is damaging.

surely the expertise is there to drop it quicker but slowly, at least to under 10 using lower doses of insulin

Or will it make it worse?

I am trying to research but I cant bloody read properly

Sameer

I think i have developed insulin resistance
What gad antibodies test do ???
Pls advice me ???

Newly daignosed , novomix 30 , 21units in morning and 17 at night , have issues in eating and sleeping pls help me , why my morning BS is always high ???? Late night eating is the problem , so please help me guys
Sent using Ipad .

tree-peony

carlrr said:
6 months without breakfast, that is not going to be easy, I am caning the protein and the carbs are pretty much under 50grams today

The diabetic nurse told me to get 300mg carbs down me a day to maintain my weight

Who says you have to go without breakfast? Try a couple of boiled eggs, an omelette, or some greek yoghurt with a few blueberries. I personally have flax and almond "porridge" which I really enjoy, with bacon egg and mushrooms as a treat! I think very very few of us Type 2's would be able to handle 300g of carb a day!

elaine77

If you have high fasting BG in the mornings like me then you definitely don't want to be going without breakfast! If you do your liver is just going to keep dumping glucose into your blood thinking you are starving! I was never a breakfast person but now I force myself to have breakfast every morning to get my levels down. I wake up on 7.4 usually and have Weetabix or Cheerios and 2 hours later I'm back around 5.... Sometimes I go low after breakfast too..which is weird but it usually fixes itself at lunchtime :)

I'd also be very surprised if any diabetic could have 300g carbs a day and keep their levels normal (without insulin) :-/ very odd that is! I know I couldn't do it anyway.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Well today I started of at 16.9, one omelette later at lunchtime I was 14.5 a smoothie and a protein drink lead to tea time which was 15.8 tea was sweet potatoes , venison and home made cole-slaw and a few cakes (home made from the Splenda diabetic recipe) my reading tonight was 8.8 which surprisingly is the lowest I have had since being diagnosed so that was a surprise
I am staying low carb at the moment and maintaining 12 stone weight, I am still swaying towards asking for insulin though