Hypo from hell

Very lost 101212

Hi,

Today my 10 year old had a hypo. We are carb counting. We treated the hypo the same way as we always do. EXCEPT... This hypo refused to shift. I treated it with juice, then coke, then lucozade, then some more, a few more repetitions of the above, spoon full of honey, glucogel...after 14 attempts we got to 4.5.

In between I called the on call registrar who... wait for this... said the following...

"3.2 isn't low. It's between 2 and 3 that we consider low. Give him some biscuits and he,ll be ok. If he doesnt have any symptoms he's fine"

I said " he's been retreated 8 times so far...and he does have symptoms!"

Dr said "give him some biscuits"
I gave up and said goodbye.

Anyway...any advice on what I can do differently if I go through this hell again? What would you guys have done with a stubborn hypo?

Any advice would be great.

melsavage

I have 3 packs of Glucogel, so would repeat that if I was capable... Might b worth finding out if you can get hold of glucagon - emergency pack with is injected. I know my parents had it when I was your sons age - and that's what the paramedics used when they were called out to me for a night hypo. I'm guessing you can get it on prescription - I used to have an awful bruise afterwards, but worth it to bring me round! Maybe next time call emergency services rather than on call GP's - I've never had any luck with them...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How long was it before levels rose?

And have you had a rebound of highs since?

I have also had glucagon injections.. But they had never been used...as after my first bad hypo nobody ever had the courage to do it!!! I also used to have the tubes of hypostop, but hate them too.. And won't open my mouth... So if really bad my hubby would call for ambulance... You do not have to be taken in...

My hubby would have treated with milk n sugar or dolly mixtures or coke but would alternate with biscuits or toast... More importantly he gives time for stuff to work..he would wait 10 minutes before giving me a 2nd hypo stopping goody.

It is far worse for parents, friends n family to treat, than what the diabetic is actually feeling at the time..
For example my bery first bad hypo 27 years ago had 4 ambulancemen and a gp.. And me throwing things when they tried to get an intravenous in me. I have never been like that since.... But I remember throwing something, hitting the gp but, nothing else.

Having 14 attempts at hypo stopping makes me fear that you have expected an immediate improvement... This doesnt always happen. It really depends on the cause of the hypo with me as to how it develops... An exercise hypo will be quicker to get my levels up than an overdose of insulin hypo...
I hope that your son hasnt rebounded with massive highs now.. Do you know the cause of the hypo?

If hubby was to help me at home it would be for me with a glass of milk and three sugars.. As the milk also helped to keep my levels up and more importantly I love it.

Luckystar96

I was told by a good dietician that the fastest thing for a hypo is lucozade and I do find that to be the case myself. (or glucose tabs with a drink, but they seem to take a bit longer)Also I was told not to eat anything for 10 mins as this can slow the recovery ( even milk will do this due to the fat in it I believe). I can't believe that dr telling you to give biscuits when still hypo- its very important to treat as quick as poss because the body will v soon get used to feeling hypo and the warning symptoms will become less apparent.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Very lost 101212 said:
Hi,

Today my 10 year old had a hypo. We are carb counting. We treated the hypo the same way as we always do. EXCEPT... This hypo refused to shift. I treated it with juice, then coke, then lucozade, then some more, a few more repetitions of the above, spoon full of honey, glucogel...after 14 attempts we got to 4.5.

In between I called the on call registrar who... wait for this... said the following...

"3.2 isn't low. It's between 2 and 3 that we consider low. Give him some biscuits and he,ll be ok. If he doesnt have any symptoms he's fine"
I said " he's been retreated 8 times so far...and he does have symptoms!"

Dr said "give him some biscuits"
I gave up and said goodbye.

Anyway...any advice on what I can do differently if I go through this hell again? What would you guys have done with a stubborn hypo?

Any advice would be great.

You need to have a plan ready in place should your 10 year old ever lose conciousness through a severe hypo.
Do you have a GlucaGen Hypo Emergency Kit ?
These are available via prescription only from your own GP .
Can be kept in the fridge up to the expiry date stated on the orange box.

How is your 10year old now?
When hypo any aggresssion at all ? If not - then should be able to encourage positively .
What worked to raise the levels eventually?

Work with your 10 year old and find out what they like the taste of best ?
Jelly babies sweets etc ?, lucozade or coke cola ?, glucogel [flavours]? , glucose tablets [flavours]?
Then stockpile in the favourites , once you have 'both' identified the favourites :thumbup:
This will provide you with suitable tools to treat another hypo should one happen again.

Use as and when neccessary , as your child starts to respond but if starts to dip low again .
Use some sugar form in liquid, like lucozade/coke cola this can be quicker or glugogel should be effective
Avoid chocolatey things they can take a bit longer to raise the BG levels.

Even sucking on a lollypop if your child can do!
[can be an easier way to let them suck in a form of sugar - whilst you test their BG levels ]

Then follow through with something carby like jammy dodger biscuits, or slice of toast or a few crackers buttered.etc.
After your child responds with positive raising BG levels.
This should prevent a dip as the carbs turn to glucose .

Keep testing and obviously monitor both your childs BG levels and state of response to stay out of a 'hypo' ...
Above 'all ' if your child keeps going low[er] in BG levels or more hypo state again please 'do' phone for professional help/advice.

Hope this can help .

Anna.

sw11bloke

i have had 3 similar hypos where i have fluctuated between 2 and 3 for over an hour. No matter how much lucozade I drink or how many biscuits or jelly babies....my BG does not go up. The only way my levels do go up very slowly are through absorbtion in my mouth. I basically have to hold sugar in my mouth.

Its pretty frightening to say the least. No matter how much i drink or eat, my body does not absorb the glucose. The last time this happened, i was feeling a bit nausea. I then had to force myself to throw up and only afer throwing up, did my body start absorbing the glucose i had consumed.

Its not about what you consume to raise your bloods. Sometimes when you have eaten something that does not agree with you, your body seems to stop absorbing glucose for some reason so forcong yourself to throw up is the only way..

On one occassion, i drank over 4 bottles of lucozade and my bG stayed under 4. Then i dropped to 2.9. I dialled 999 and wasnt making any sense when i spoke. I managed to give myself a glugogon injection and only after that did i start vommiting. Once everything was out, my BG started rising.

Im sorry that your son had to go through this. If it ever happens again, put sugar in his mouth and when his levels get to about 3.6, try get him to throw up.

Very lost 101212

Thank you all for your posts.

It took over 2 hrs to raise the blood sugars. Think it was the glucogel that did it. Maybe.

I alwas wait 10 minutes between testing and only give food after above 4mmol.

No agression just a worried little boy. I do have glucagon. But was advised only to use if unconscious.

Really appreciate all the advice. Hes doing ok. No highs yet. Just exhausted.

sw11bloke

fortunately these hypos from hell dont happen often. I been a type 1 for 11 years and its happened 3 times.
I know what you and your son went through today and it does leave you completely shaken. Last time this happened to me, i went for a blood test and i had an infection in my liver. The liver can only do 1 thing at a time so if its detoxing for some reason, it wont dump glucose if you hypo.
I suggest you take your son for a blood test to be on the safer side. As I said, last time this happened, I discovered that I had an infection in my liver.
A full liver function and enzymes test is highly recomended.