5:2 fast diet

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
I was probably the only person to miss the horizon programme about fasting but have recently bought the book. I have just started this way of eating/living - planning 2nd fast tomorrow!

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this or alternate day fasting, and how you found it if you did.

My starting stats are:

weight: 110 kg
waist: 44"
HAbc1: 7.4 (in old money)

I will be keeping track of my progress.

I am really hopeful about this way of living - the science seems sound and I have never been able to successfully stick to a low carb diet. This way, I will still be careful with my carbs but not as restrictive as Atkins el al.

Cheers
Volorg

Hez14

I saw the program it was very informative. I've tried it and found it quiet good although fell off track at christmas. I'm going to get back into doing this. I have a few clients who are doing this and have found it very easy to follow and lost weight.

Heather x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andybrightman

For, living healthy life it's an ideal idea to follow a good diet programme. I also suggest those people who want to burn fat that they should also follow this kind of programmes because, this programmes might be helpful for them to burn fat.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type on, for 30 years and follow DAFNE. I have just started the 5:2 plan and did two consecutive days of fasting, having 500 cals and no more than 20 cp per day. My control was fantastic for two days and I know that is also due to the very low carbs. I split my 500 cals between breakfast and evening meal skipped lunch and it was also a foot test to see how well my background insulin, levemir, was working. I'm now on feast days however feel reluctant to eat more carbs due to the super control I've just had averaging on 4.5 mmol pre meal. Will go for 1200 cals per day, very low carb.

cosmicpoppy

Picci, is your Levemir the same as Lantus long acting insulin? I only have 1 injection per day so do you think this diet would be suitable for me? Thanks. :?

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning Cosmicpuppy, yes levemir and lantus are the same, just different manufacturers. I have my background twice a day just because it seems to wear out before 24 hours. I don't see why you can't give it a try!!! To tell you the truth I had a non fasting day yesterday and ate 50 carbs for both lunch and dinner and regretted it cos by glucose levels were so messed up ( historically this happens). I find low carbing keeps everything running beautifully!!!

As to fasting, I suggest you have a small breakfast, your quick acting will cover that, then have a test at lunch time to see what you are, don't eat. Then at evening meal time test. if your bg has risen considerably it means your lantus needs tweaking. The background should keep you steady all day. Good luck.

TCndaHouse

Hi All,

I'm a type 2 diabetic on tablets and insulin 4 times a day. I take NovoRapid with each meal and Levemir with my evening meal. I tried this diet for a day and in the evening when I went to bed, I had a hypo on the fasting day.

Is this diet really safe for diabetic on insulin? I would like to try this diet again but I'm scared that I might encounter another hypo.

I think I'll talk to my diabetic nurse as well about this diet and see what they recommend.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have always matched my quick acting insulin to my carb intake. Pre evening meal if my bg was a fantastic 5.5mmol and I planned in eating 30 carbs, I have 3 units of novo rapid etc. I aim to run at 5mmol, and 1 unit of rapid lowers me by 3 or 4 mmol , so if I was 9 mmol prior to my meal of 30 carbs, I'd have 3 units to cAncelthe carbs and one extra unit to bring me back down to 5 mmol. You have to work your insulin&food ratios out and inject accordingly. Sounds like you had too much quick acting Goethe amount of carbs you were eating.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am type 2 diabetic on 2 500mg metformin twice daily and i have just bought the 5:2 diet book for £8 and only read the first 10 pages of it and so far it has got me wanting to read more (which i will do, tomorrow) but I have also heard about the endobarrier which is on another post and it sounds promising as well as this diet.

I am going to do my own 2 week trial of the 5:2 diet on from April 15th to April 29th, I will have my fasting days on Mondays and Thursdays and eat normally every other day. I will test my bloods in the morning, before lunch, before dinner and at night plus I will record everything that I have ate and then on April 29th I will post on here my results of the 2 week trial and my weight as well and as I am hoping to drop half a stone or a stone off my weight of 23st 10lbs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just starting out on this with my partner.
First day today, so the big challenge is to find out what you can eat to keep within 600 calories.
She (non-diabetic) is using SlimFast as any easy fix.

From Google

Piece of bacon - 60 kcal * 2 = 120 kcal
Large egg - 72 kcal *2 = 144 kcal
Tomato - 22 kcal

So a low carb high protein breakfast is 286 kcal.

Well, it was a nice satisfying plate full of goodness.

So much so that if I skip lunch and have that again for the evening meal I won't really feel as though I am on a diet.
I could even punt an extra tomato as a luxury. :D

We shall see if it is as easy as it first seems - am I missing something?

Cheers

LGC

Sunshine_Kisses

Posting as want to be alerted to the replies as read/heard so many good things about this so on the brink of having the motivation to try this - have a weird resistance to it for some reason?!

Perhaps hearing your successes will be the final boot up the backside I need... ;)

Would love to hear what people ate on their fasting days too...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Well, first day nearly over and so far so good.

A bit weird having bacon and eggs for tea as well as breakfast, but it certainly seems to kill any hunger pangs.

I'll see how much weight I've gained in the morning.

Cheers

LGC

Sunshine_Kisses

Well done on getting through the first day! :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

LauraMac

Hi Volorg. I wonder if you did it and if it worked for you?

I have been doing 5:2 on and off for about six months. Every so often, I get bored and 'fall off the wagon' but overall it works well. It's especially good to be able to fit the fasting days around social occasions. I have lost about 10lbs overall but mainly I like to do it for anti-ageing effects and in the hope it will be cancer-protective etc.

On fasting days, I take my diabetes tablets as normal but I don't usually take any insulin at all (I only use short-acting insulin) and I am careful to save 100 calories or so for pre-bedtime, when I eat 2 digestives or an oatcake with peanut butter or a few unsalted nuts etc. In this way, I avoid night/early morning hypos.

On fast days, my BMs are between 4.5 and 7.5, which is good for me.

Laura Mac

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just by chance I came across this paper
James E Brown, Michael Mosley and Sarah Aldred
Intermittent fasting: a dietary intervention for prevention of diabetes and cardiovascular disease?
I don't think that it's been posted before.
It's really a review of the available evidence. They mention the success of the calorie restricted diet as used in the Newcastle trial and suggest that this 'method' may work in a similar way but be easier to adhere to.
http://dvd.sagepub.com/content/13/2/68.full.pdf+html
(it is only a background paper, not a trial) ie the conclusion is an opinion
'The use of intermittent fasting offers the potential to improve weight loss and enhance the cardiovascular health of overweight and obese individuals with type 2 diabetes and reduces cardiovascular risk.'

Elz67

Not seen the program but a friend has lost a stone since March and doesnt seem to deny any foods with this diet. she fasts the two days she works, 13 hour shifts, drinks loads of water and tea and gets on great!

Elz x

wynn

Hi all :)

New to this forum as well, and have been following the 5:2 diet for a little bit by now, and am eager to learn more as well.

How a people doing so far?

As a relative to a type 2 diabetic on Metformin I'm wondering about this diet as well. Is it "safe" to try this diet if done the right way and monitored? How to take the meds and how much to eat on fasting days, e.g. 0 or the ~500 cal., what to eat and when to eat it?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I hope someone is able and willing to help a newcomer about this diet. I know there's no definitive answers, yet anyway, and that it's very much individual how different people respond to it, but I'm hoping for some some guidelines and recommendations based on other diabetics experiences.

I only "need" to lose a few pounds myself, but am eager to try the 5:2 diet as well for the health benefits of course, and to support my father as much as I can in this.

Hoping for some friendly help and pointers :)

Kind regards,
wynn