Anyone else feel a cold knocks them about more now?

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Hello everyone

bit strange question but has anyone else noticed how worse a cold (or any illness is) once diagnosed and on insulin.

I have what i believe is just a normal common cold that came on over weekend. They never normally knock me about but i actually feel shocking. I have ulcers in mouth. I can barely move my neck and im aching all over.

I just wondered if anyone else noticed small ailments knock them about more now

BTW im newly diagnosed so could be way off mark~please bear with me if im completely wrong!!

x

Snodger

colds and infections and all that usually make your blood sugars shoot through the roof - and of course if they go high you feel extra rubbish, and you'll get ulcers and stuff. Has that happened to you?
The good (?) news is that if you can bring the sugars down (extra insulin) you should be able to go back to just feeling normally-rubbish with a cold, rather than extra-rubbish! Let us know if you need any help with it.

Also just had a thought - if you are newly diagnosed then your body's probably struggling with the stress of diagnosis and of having had high sugar for a while too. All of that will make you feel cr*p.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The inside of my mouth is covered in ulcers! glad to know the reason why Im feeling so rotten and thank you for advice about highering insulin. Feeling pretty rough and sorry for myself got to admit. Hate feeling so pathetic and tearful over a cold.

Snodger

after I was diagnosed, even though I didn't get a cold, I felt rubbish in every part of my body. I ached, and I was a weepy mess. And now I've read about your other experiences at diagnosis I'm not at all surprised you've been laid low. You've been through a lot!
Look after yourself and keep remembering: it DOES get better and it DOES get easier and there are loads of people here to help.

PS keep checking your blood sugar and tweaking your insulin, and drink lots of water. What insulins are you on?

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shelley,
Get yourself some Corsodyl mouthwash. That will clear the ulcers within a couple of days, but help to reduce the pain and discomfort very quickly.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Snodger said:
after I was diagnosed, even though I didn't get a cold, I felt rubbish in every part of my body. I ached, and I was a weepy mess. And now I've read about your other experiences at diagnosis I'm not at all surprised you've been laid low. You've been through a lot!
Look after yourself and keep remembering: it DOES get better and it DOES get easier and there are loads of people here to help.

PS keep checking your blood sugar and tweaking your insulin, and drink lots of water. What insulins are you on?

I am Novarapid and Insulatard.
Thank you for your kind words and helpful advice.

Snodger

ShelleyHarris1981 said:
I am Novarapid and Insulatard.
ok tips on how to cope with raised blood sugar when you are ill:
- check your sugar. If you are getting really high (eg 18 and upwards, and it isn't coming down at all) then consider taking a correction dose of quick acting (novorapid). The rule of thumb is 1 unit of quick acting brings you down 2-3 mmol, so one unit might get you down from 18 to 15, three units would get you down to 9 (in real life of course everyone's different, so don't worry if your body doesn't react in the way it's 'supposed' to). Err on the side of caution until you know how your body's going to react.
- Novorapid lasts 3-5 hours. So if you take a correction dose and then another one and then another one all within that 3-5 hours you might find it sort of stacking up and overlapping and then you'll go low. So do be careful, and make sure you have a sugary drink near you in case of a hypo.
- Insulatard's the one that copes with all the kind of background sugar that your liver stores and dumps into your blood even if you aren't eating. It is supposed to last 24 hours so if you change it, you change it for 24 hours... so you might want to up it a little, but don't make a dramatic increase. One unit at most. I would probably not mess with it at all, but just tweak the novorapid.

sorry if you already knew all of that... but I found it really helpful when correction doses were explained to me so hope it's of use

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I didnt know any of that! At least I feel more aware now what to do whilst have this cold. This site and people like you who are willing to help strangers like me is a godsend x

Snodger

ShelleyHarris1981 said:
I didnt know any of that! At least I feel more aware now what to do whilst have this cold. This site and people like you who are willing to help strangers like me is a godsend x
aw, thanks. glad to be able to help. Hope you feel better soon.