Asante Snap Insulin Pump

SamH

Have been stalking this new pump through the realms of the internet for the past couple of weeks and cannot wind out whether or not:
a) The pump has even been released yet
and b) Can I get it in the UK if so?

Has anyone else been looking at this pump? It seems pretty cool, as I dread problems with air bubbles in tubing etc.

malky

Never heard of this pump time now. But I am surprised that more manufacturers have not made pumps that take the glass vials you would put in a pen. It makes sense as there is no filling of reservoirs. From reading the asante site it looks as if you dont just throw the vial away but the whole bottom part of the meter. Would be more sense to maybe have a reusable pump part with a rechargeable or replaceable battery and maybe supply a couple of them with the pump

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only just found this post so sorry for the delay in replying.

I was actually lucky enough to trial this pump earlier in the year, but then it was known as the Asante Pearl, I've only just discovered the name's been changed.

The following article gives quite a good overview of what the pump offers, if not try their website - http://www.snappump.com/

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/03/oh- ... ymore.html

I have to say it suited me very well because although there's no separate user interface like the Accu-chek Spirit Combo, all the information you need is on-board. I personally find the time lag when trying to connect the Spirit to the hand held is a real pain in the a**. One thing that I particularly like with the Asante pump is that because you manually enter your BG reading your not limited to a measly few minutes leeway to program in a bolus. I don't find this much help if I check my BG as I'm preparing a meal for the family but don't necessarily want to bolus just yet. So the Asante is a lot better in that way.

I've also had a lot of problems with the Spirit in that it never seems to give me an accurate reading of on-board insulin. The Asante seemed brilliant in that respect.

Downsides - well, I personally had a few problems with air bubbles in the Asante although none of the others trialling it with me did, so maybe that's just operator error! Also at the moment its only licensed for use with Humalog cartridges (I use Apidra), so not brilliant but for me it would be a reasonable trade off.

I spoke to one of the marketing team at the end of the trial and at that point they were hoping to release it in Europe some time next year - that would probably be places like Germany and France as they have a much higher percentage of Type 1's on pumps there. So I don't know when we'd be likely to see it, maybe the end of next year?

It won't suit everyone I know, if only because a lot of people do like the idea of a separate hand held/meter/whatever, but I was very impressed with it. Lets hope they don't take too long releasing it over here!!

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
According to another website I follow that's USA based.....
In April, Asante Solutions started shipping its Snap insulin pump to users in the northeastern part of US.

So theyre just starting to become availablein that part of the world

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that ivinghoe, hope the rollout continues and all goes well.