worries and how it effects you

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
As a type 1 diabetic for 24 years (I'm 33) I know that over the years I haven't done myself any favours with my care. But over the past 5 years I've realised how much diabetes will effect me. I have two healthy gorgeous boys which I am very lucky for. I'm scared have I already damaged my body and organs beyond repair, I'm scared to sit with my legs crossed I refuse to rest my head on my hands or arms or even cross my legs over when in bed, I'm scared of dying of loosing body parts. I'm pretty healthy now I look after myself. Does anyone else get this scared or am I just being stupid, others don't really understand. Xxxxxxxxxx

Elc1112

Hi Kezz,

I've been diabetic for 22 years. My control hasn't always been great and, like you, I worry about what impact this will have on me in the future. I'm just focusing on keeping all my levels as close to normal and taking really good care of myself now. I make sure that I go to all of my appointments. That way if there are any problems they are caught early and dealt with.

You can spend your life worrying about what might happen next year, in five years time etc. you have two lovely boys, enjoy them. Take care of yourself and make sure you keep on top of the diabetes. If the worst does happen then you deal with it. But don't worry about something that hasn't yet - and might not ever - happen.

Em x

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
Hi em
Thank you that is the best advise I've ever heard, your right just keep on top of things and think less of the complications. Everyone I've spoken too friends ect just say don't be silly. It feels like they don't really listen. Thank you sooooooo much. Xxxxxx

weeezer

Hi

I've been 'too sweet' (ha my attempt at a quirky phrase for 'type 1 diabetic'! Feel free to top it!) for 13 years next month. I was never overly worried about complications, my mum has been type 1 for 38 years and is still buzzing around at 62, with no major conplications. so she was always my benchmark (or, rather, my reason to take all the rules with a pinch of salt).

But the last couple of years I have gone into a tailspin on a few occasions, about little niggles that I have convinced myself spells 'the end' - or that wake me up to a future that may be 'compromised' by diabetes. I've always been a worrier, but these occasions have opened me up to full on panic attacks & awful stress. I then feel terrible about my kids, 3 &10, will they get it? Will I be healthy enough to help them/be around as they grow?

It's so nice to hear that others also go through it. What makes me upset is that these 'scary' times spur me on to achieve better control and make better choices. Then life happens and being diabetic comes second. I find it impossible to be in control 100% of the time, I just can't keep it up. Then along comes a scary symptom and BANG! it all comes crashing down & I m scared, get v stressed and can't sleep at night (where I am right now).

Elc's right, we can only keep on top of it, and go to appts, and try not to worry about what hasn't happened yet (altho I think I know better that medical professionals and that I already have complications, I drive myself mad contemplating it all).

Love this forum, no one I know realises the psychological effect of this rubbish disease, not even my mum (she's not one of life's worriers, wish I took after her!) xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
kezz01489 said:
As a type 1 diabetic for 24 years (I'm 33) I know that over the years I haven't done myself any favours with my care. But over the past 5 years I've realised how much diabetes will effect me. I have two healthy gorgeous boys which I am very lucky for. I'm scared have I already damaged my body and organs beyond repair, I'm scared to sit with my legs crossed I refuse to rest my head on my hands or arms or even cross my legs over when in bed, I'm scared of dying of loosing body parts. I'm pretty healthy now I look after myself. Does anyone else get this scared or am I just being stupid, others don't really understand. Xxxxxxxxxx

Hi I don't get scared, what will be will be and when our times up well.............

But I am concerned at times of how stress and worry bring on things related to diabetes and I keep thinking all I want to do is be healthy and happy and see my 12 year old grow up into a wonderful, happy and healthy adult ( I'm in my 50's).

We have the 1st anniversary of the death of my childs dad in a couple of weeks time and I'm not looking forward to the anniversary as during the 5 months he was dying in hospital last year, I became so ill and losing weight because of the constant worry, anxiousness and stress, my diabetes was at times uncontrollable,( because of unknown medical condition) and causing many, many problems.

You are not stupid at all, but try and get things in propotion, write down the postitives of your diabetes and your lifestyle and then the negatives and the positives will probably outweigh the negatives and if it doesn't, then you can change and turn things around.

Don't let life crush you, enjoy the now and the future ahead, which I'm sure, will be a wonderful one.

Good luck and take care RRB

kezz01489

Dislikes
Oh it's so nice knowing I'm not the only one everything you just said is me too especially with feeling guilty for my kiddies. I obsessively think or run them to the docs if they 've had a day of drinking too much and wee ing too much. I think your right no one realises at times how much of our lives it effects and the mental stress, I just don't tell people how I feel anymore it saves arguments. This forum is fantastic. :)

kezz01489

Dislikes
Thanks for all responses they are inspirational and have certainly made me realise. I love the too sweet comment lol xxxxxxx