How old were you when you were diagnosed?

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 35 8.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • 22-30

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 52 13.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 37 9.4%

• Total voters
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hate testing so much each day.
I was aged 45 years was on diet and medication for 5-6years then put on insulan
Novo-disk plus medication

Muddie

JontyW said:
JontyW said:
Muddie said:
My little boy is 2 yrs old and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 1 x
To Muddie & all the others whose children have been diagnosed recently, and you are still learning what it is all about,

I strongly advise that you buy these two books as a starter ..

1. Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes (Chris Cheyette)
Buy this excellent book that provides clear pictures of nearly every food you might need.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0956 ... 01_s00_i01

2. Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Ragnar Hanas)
Don't get put off by the title since the principles apply to all Type 1 diabetics.. a really excellent book with great detail in all aspects of managing diabetes. If you only buy one book …. this is the one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-1-Diabetes ... gnar+Hanas

Knowledge is the key to good diabetes control ......
Jonty
And how many of you have actually got either of these two books .. I would be interested to know, so please confirm if you possess 2. Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Ragnar Hanas).

The reason that only 1 in 20 of diabetics are attaining their HbA1c targets is because of ... lack of education & knowledge on how to manage their condition :-(
Thankyou for this info , I will be buying them ASAP !! Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed with Type 1 at age 20, half way through college but still achieved top grades in second year which proved I was in control that year!

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
66.Changed doctors last May. A few weeks later, was given a MOT,including a blood test.On June11th phone call for me to come to the surgery..T2 had been found,

I was 18, that was in 1995.
I got thrush and no way was I going to the doctor.
I thought I could get myself better, as a shy girl there was no chance of anyone checking me out!, I was also drinking loads, sleeping and lost a lot of weight, when I did finally go G.P- I did urine test, emergency hospital and started insulin straight away- I was told I had about three days till I would be dead- not good as scared of needles too, at first I struggled because I couldn't jab myself, ended bk in hospital with vomiting blood from high glucose levels.
It took about a year n half to start to except I had diabetes, I was on my oun with little help as my family lived abroad, and to this day I have never been taught how to count carbs ect. Get help ASAP before its too late or u become too embarrassed to ask for help like me.

aderayo

Hi, just joined the forum. I was 25 now 30 when I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I had all the signs but I put it down to my sickle cell. The final straw was the abcess I had which had to be operated on. I have 2 non curable illness. Sickcle cell and type 1 diabetes battlibg with depression. :cool:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App