Are you hitting the 3 main diabetes targets?

How many of the main 3 diabetes health targets are you meeting?

• I'm meeting all 3 of the targets

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I'm meeting 2 of the targets

Votes: 52 44.4%
  • I meet 1 of the targets

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • I'm currently meeting none of the targets

Votes: 14 12.0%

• Total voters

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Dont stress about it Cherylle we've all been there....

There is lot to get your head round when you are first diagnosed but it does all start to fall in place eventually and most people end up living perfectly normal lives. I was obsessed with my diabetes for months after diagnosis I very nearly bored all my friends to death but I did manage to "come out the other side" eventually so just carry on carrying on and in time you will start to feel more comfortable, honestly.

I guess it was fear in the beginning that motivated me to get the control I did so perhaps it is no bad thing and possibly why so many doctors paint such a grim picture of it, but I rarely think of diabetes now in my day to day life, the more I did things like thinking about the food I put on my plate the more it became second nature and now its like I run on automatic pilot almost.

So dont despair it really does get easier the more you learn and I'm sure we all learn things every day, I know I still do and every day it gets a little bit easier.

I can look back on my first year and see how it ruled my life back then, and hopefully you will do the same thing so just stick in there it does get easier :thumbup:

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Hitting 3 main diabetes targets

:roll: I have more or less met 2 of them-HbA1c 6.5 and b.p ave 130/80. Cholesterol level is a real struggle though. A couple of years ago it reached 4.9 from 6.8 but since beginning medication (metformin and sitagliptin) in September last year and eating a much healthier diet my latest chol reading is back at 6.8. I cant understand why it has suddenly shot up and as I am against taking medicines unless its a last resort I'm desperate for some guidance if anyone has any. :wave:

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol is ok at 3.9.

Blood pressure is high so getting a 24 hour monitor in a couple of weeks.

As for blood sugar well my target is 4 to 7 so last night I was 3.9 and this morning 7.1 :roll: so close!

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Hitting 3 main diabetes targets

:clap: i've just got to say to all of you that there is no such thing as a perfect diabetic. At some stage i'm sure we've all been so badly controlled as to not meet any of these targets probably because like lots of folk until we got diabetes we did not have to. In a way we are the lucky ones at least we have a chance to try and become healthier. Just because you read of someones good fortune of reaching their goals does not mean they are not still struggling or have done so in the past. My past history re diabetes has been shocking. Being diet controlled since 2003, when my glucose levels shot up to as much as 23. I told my gp not to send me for any more checks and buried my head in the sand. I could only see the bigger picture-medication and injections etc. So just keep your chin up and look ahead. Good luck all Linzi :wave:

alaska

I'm type 1 and comfortably meet the HbA1c and blood pressure targets but not the cholesterol target.

There is evidence to suggest that low triglyceride levels give rise to a significantly overestimated level of LDL cholesterol.

Statistical analysis showed that when triglyceride is <100 mg/dL, calculated low- density lipoprotein cholesterol is significantly overestimated (average :12.17 mg/dL or 0.31 mmol/L), where as when triglyceride is between 150 and 300 mg/dL no significant difference between calculated and measured low-density lipoprotein cholesterol is observed.

In patients with low serum triglyceride and undesirably high total cholesterol levels, Friedewald equation may overestimate low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration and it should be either directly assayed or be calculated by a modified Friedewald equation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18426324

100 mg/dL is equivalent to 1.13 mmol/l when considering triglycerides
http://heartuk.org.uk/files/uploads/documents/huk_fs_mfsP_cholestrigly_leverlsconversion.pdf

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sid, the target HDL:Total ratio is 3.5:1.

So under 3 you are better than excellent - I think!

Viv 8)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In type 1, diagnosed in February. I haven't had a single one of those test results!

I know they took blood for hba1c but they didnt tell me how to get the results, and the others weren't tested.

Should I have asked for them?

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I'm not hitting the total cholesterol although the breakdown and ratios are good.
I came off statins as they were degrading my muscles, and I need them for exercise! So I'm taking Benecol drink and a clove of garlic each day - we'll see how that goes. However, as I've just started a low-carb diet my cholesterols might go through the roof! :problem:

alaska

Hi hale710

If you've been diagnosed between 2 to 3 months ago, it's possible they may want to let your control settle for a few months before taking the tests.

You should be given HbA1c, blood pressure and cholesterol tests at least once each year, along with some other tests.

I see no harm in asking when they will start to take these tests for you though.

Ed

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I've got the diabetic clinic a week on Friday so I guess they might do that there then?

999sugarbabe

I don't even know what the 3 targets are!

I assume one is HbA1c (or whatever it is called), but I don't recall ever being told what my "targets" were, let alone what they should be!
I seldom hear from my practice. The nurse sees me once or twice a year, that's all.
I'm struggling to even get test strips out of them now. Up until about 6 months to a year ago all I had to do was ask, but now it's all £££ before anything else.

xorsyst

2 for me. I'm type 1, vegan and relatively fit, so I've never exceeded those BP or cholesterol targets in 17 years of diabetes (at one point my cholesterol was 2.3!). But I do find it hard to control the blood sugars enough to get my hba1c that low. It's improving, but a long way to go yet.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I'm not sure on my HbA1c as I haven't had it done since I started on the pump back in February so I put 2 out of 3. My blood pressure is always around 120/70 and sometimes lower. When I was pregnant, it was really low all the time. Cholesterol never seems to be bad except when I started eating butter instead of margarine. :p But my good cholesterol was high too so apparently that cancelled it out or something. :crazy:

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
I'm nowhere near any of these targets even with medication

Blood pressure 181/121 taking 3 different meds
Hba1c 9 Taking two different meds
Cholesterol 7 taking 1 med

Stillo