blood monitor

cherylle

I was told i had type 2 diabetes in january and now takeing metformin.why havent i been given a monitor or do i buy my own i feel cheeky asking my nurse.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Seems to be a bit of a lottery who gets glucose monitors unfortunately. I think it's because Metformin alone would not usually cause hypo's. If you was taking say Gliclazide, you may get one as this lowers blood glucose levels. I'm not saying I agree, I think everyone should get them as ultimately it must be cheaper to prevent complications early and save money down the line. Why don't you ask your nurse ? Worst thing can happen is they say no ! If not, a lot of companies will give you the monitor for free and you just purchase the strips. Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As mo1905 says it can be a post code lottery if your GP or nurse will provide you with a meter, my GP does not give meters as they say it could show favoritisum to one particular company. You could phone companies like bayer, glocomen, abbott medisense or lifescan and normally if you phone them up they will send you a meter free by return of post. Some have web forms you can fill in to order a free meter for an example https://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/free-meter-signup

Then you will need to pursuede your GP to give you a persciption for the test strips. If you can't get your GP to issue a perscription for test strips there are lower cost options like the SD code free and the supercheck2 systems, which the test strips are about £6 to £8.49 for 50 and lancets around £4-50 for 200.

From experiance like my GP they don't care that much for type 2's and you have to drive them for any information etc, mine only tests HbA1c once a year unless you report to them any problems.

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the same as you, type 2 on Metformin and the DN said no to testing full stop. I queried this and she said anything you eat will cause a glucose rise and to leave it to the Hbac1 test to judge how I am doing. I pointed out that that is three months away and I could be getting it totally wrong during that time when testing would at least give me some kind of an indication. But she remained adamant. I tested pre meal today as I have borrowed a meter from work and it read 4.5, fantastic! However now I don't know if its the meds or my diet and exercise :(
I can't help thinking three months is a long time to not know truly what is going on, I mean surely that is potentially three months cell damage?
It's a funny old business.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
If any of you drive a car and are taking gliclazide medication for your diabetes .
Gliclazide tablets 'can' cause an hypo especially if not eaten enough to cover yourself .

So a blood monitor testing kit is vitally needed ...
It is impossible to even attempt to try and guess your blood sugars pre driving a car .
[needs to be 5 or more ]
Usually when this is spoken of - they relent and do offer a free meter testing kit !

Hope this can help as a bit more information to access a free meter if "ever" your medication gets changed
to gliclazide tablets .
Have heard that patients where I am [lancs] can obtain one this way ... :thumbup:

Anna.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are now legally required to do a blood test before each time you drive and every two hours during trips if you are on insulin or tablets that might cause hypo's. If you do not and your stopped you could loose your license.

Under these conditions your GP has no other option but to provide you with a meter and test strips.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin alone does not normally cause low BS, after following docs advice I now have minor complications which could of been lessened or adverted if I had monitored myself more often.

Myself I would push the grounds and see about getting test strips on prescription at least that way you can see what's happening to you. Unfortunately I am now on gliclazide which I used to get my strips re added and qty increased to cover the DVLA guidelines.

If you don't have a meter have a look on the suppliers websites and give them a ring most will send you a free meter by return of post.

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
I've bought my own meter and having seen a nurse for the first time today who looked at me with disdain when I asked for a prescription for strips and lancets as I don't need them they won't do me any good.

I pointed out I'm a mobile engineer and I've had 5 readings in the 3.? Region in the last 2 weeks but according to her "Metformin doesn't do that"
if I hadn't of tested myself and acted on my own conclusion get my level up then I'm correct in thinking I could of lost my licence if I'd of had an accident.
I want to monitor myself and cost the NHS less now than complications in 10 or 20 years time.
My mother has detached retinas had the gas bubble procedure to try to reattach them and is going blind with retinopathy from bad management through poor help and advice when she was diagnosed type 2 diet and just Metformin 25 years ago.
I'm ******** if I'm going down the cost route when I've just seen a program on TV where an obese person gets £1300 a month to get their backsides washed. I want control for me not a half assed health worker with a budget. Ironically I can buy test strips and lancets on ebay from someone in a better postcode who gets them for free.

That's just so wrong and disgusting. The nurse takes another blood test but didn't bother checking blood pressure and gives me a form to go on a day course that states a go or health workers is to fill out only.

No I don't live in the third world I live in South Gloucestershire. The third world have better care workers.

Sorry just needed a rant.
Evening all :cry:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Richard871 said:
I'm ******** if I'm going down the cost route when I've just seen a program on TV where an obese person gets £1300 a month to get their backsides washed.

Yeah, saw that too lol ! Totally see your point though. Why should we fund this ? Her husband used the time to make phone calls to get more bloody free stuff !!! I had to turn it over !