Light

Andyneored5

Confused.com. I'm looking a light mayo for a salad which are really high in sugars but low in fat, now the normal mayo is low in sugars but high in fat. But I'm supposed to be cutting down. Which is best

Andy

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
normal 'full fat' mayo...

when they make these low-fat "light" products, they taste terrible and have to add sugars to get the taste acceptable...

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
Andyneored5 said:
Confused.com. I'm looking a light mayo for a salad which are really high in sugars but low in fat, now the normal mayo is low in sugars but high in fat. But I'm supposed to be cutting down. Which is best

Andy

small servings of real food the way your great grandparents used to eat.

they never ever had low fat versions of anything.

the trick is to eat full fat versions of foods but to have small enough portions so that you keep within your ideal number of calories per day.

Andyneored5

So the light things have lots of sugar in them but the normal stuff has less sugar but really high fats. So if I'm cutting down ie dieting to bring my BS down I'm eating higher fat contents. Urm

I had both mayos in hand not knowing to go for less sugars or high fat. I wanted to phone a friend

Andy

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Andyneored5 said:
So the light things have lots of sugar in them but the normal stuff has less sugar but really high fats. So if I'm cutting down ie dieting to bring my BS down I'm eating higher fat contents. Urm

I had both mayos in hand not knowing to go for less sugars or high fat. I wanted to phone a friend

Andy

you're a diabetic... it's sugars you can't handle...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Fat won't increase your blood glucose, or your cholesterol - sugar & carbs will. Unless you ladle it on, the amount of mayo or sauce is unlikely to cause problems. It's the bread, potato (salad), rice, pasta, etc that cause a rise in BG with resultant problems.

Andyneored5

I know it's the sugars, but the nurse told me to eat healthy which I think I do anyway and loose weight how can I lose weight if I'm stuffing higher fats down my throat. Please don't say exercise

Andy

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
Andyneored5 said:
I know it's the sugars, but the nurse told me to eat healthy which I think I do anyway and loose weight how can I lose weight if I'm stuffing higher fats down my throat. Please don't say exercise

Andy

I just lost 44 kilo by eating fats and avoiding carbs

as in if I have a tiny cup of coffee with milk which has carbs I balance that by adding 2 almonds so that my fat count is more than 50 % of what I eat

when low-carbing, it is the fats that keep you from being constipated. Just choose to have small portions

you will find that the tiny amounts of fats that you have keep you from feeling famished

yes my high fat diet has made my blood pressure normal and my cholesterol normal [despite eating 2 eggs fried every day]

and my blood glucose went from 12.5 to 4.7 from october to january

good luck

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi Andy,

Have a look around the low carb section of the forum. I lost 3 stone in 5 months by going low carb higher/healthy fat. I'm eating cheese, cream, greek yog, salami, homemade cheese sauce on veg etc. None of this was low fat. I did NO exercise in this time! I have now started exercise, but only because 3 stone lighter I don't find it so hard anymore.

I also brought my Hba1c from 8.9 to 6.3 in that time. I went for my blood test this morning so will find out if my cholestorol has changed next week when I go for my yearly review.

Good luck whatever route you choose.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
Lenny3 said:
Hi Andy,

Have a look around the low carb section of the forum. I lost 3 stone in 5 months by going low carb higher/healthy fat. I'm eating cheese, cream, greek yog, salami, homemade cheese sauce on veg etc. None of this was low fat. I did NO exercise in this time! I have now started exercise, but only because 3 stone lighter I don't find it so hard anymore.

I also brought my Hba1c from 8.9 to 6.3 in that time. I went for my blood test this morning so will find out if my cholestorol has changed next week when I go for my yearly review.

Good luck whatever route you choose.

well done! congrats

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the eat healthily guidance from the NHS to eat low fat meals is all wrong...

Ever since they switched to telling us to eat low-fat "heart-healthy" foods, the manufacturers piled in on the bandwagon to push their "light" low-fat foods at us with they're healthy claims... all they did in these foods was reduce the fat content and to make them palatable add more sugar...

as a result, the nation has been more and more obese and they keep telling us to keep eating "healthier" foods... and it's NOT WORKING... but the idiots are still refusing to admit that they got it all wrong back then

I've lost all my weight since switching to low-carb high-fat a couple of months after diagnosis when I found the official NHS diabetic diet advice was NOT working (I was still putting on weight and feeling awfull, but I was following their diet to the letter)... had I not bought myself a blood glucose meter, I would still be in blissful ignorance of how their healthy diabetic diet was still not working as my annual HbA1c is still a month away...