High Blood Sugars in Pregnancy

ice202x

I've just found out I'm pregnant. I am type 1 Diabetic & have poor control over it.
The doctors at the hospital have said that if my blood sugars were high around time of conception, it will have damaged my baby.
My last HbA1c was done last year and was 10. they have done another now to see how they have been since then.
Since I found out I was pregnant I have been keepin my blood sugars as controlled as I can.

Has anyone else had high blood sugars around time of conception? And have the baby had any complications?

The doctors were talkin 2 me like a was a bad person & I will have to abort my baby coz its already gon be damaged.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Am bumping up your post hoping someone can help.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hun, i thought i had replied a couple of days ago but i mustn't of hit submit!
Although my readings were generally ok at conception, i have had two diabetic pregnancies/babies (i am type 1) and have had periods of bad control throughout.
My diabetes nurse told me not to worry as lots of ladies concieve with high hba1c's and go on to have healthy babies, try and stay positive and keep your control as best you can from now on. I go on a pregnancy forum quite alot and there is a diabetes section there, lots of ladies have type 1 and post regularly, it helps knowing others have spells of double figures and have had babies with no problems/issues at birth!

Stay positive and keep us updated x

Reactions: 2 people

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That doesn't sound like avert constructive attitude from your doctor. What's done is done now, you can't go back and change past sugar levels, all you can do is concentrate on your current and future ones and you have very good motivation! Congratulations on your pregnancy btw!

Hellbunny are you able to post the details of the pregnancy forum please? I would be interested to check it out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ice202x please don't think for one moment that you're baby is already damaged.
There is every probability of a healthy baby.
One of my best friends mum was type 1 and gave birth to 2 boys 4 years apart with no complications.
We always took pregnacare vitamin for our 4 simply as a safeguard if we missed any nutrients from our diet.
The same people, vitabiotics also do one called diabetone .
I'm not telling you to take them but just trying to show you there is every chance for you.
If its a question of you're current control take stock from the fact I was undiagnosed for a good few years, perhaps through my own ignorance admittedly, I was flippant and dismissive.
I can now look back on my time since diagosis with a sense of pride, albeit I'm type 2, so I've no doubt its double hard for you, especially with a pregnancy to contend with.
Ask anything and be well.
Good luck.

Chris

@myroomsadisco

markspend01

Hey Guys well i think that High blood sugar beginning in pregnancy can cause several issues for your child before, during and after beginning. If you have diabetic issues see a doctor before pregnancy or as soon as you find out that you are expecting.Thanks!!

Sweetypie25

I am similar to u, my pregnancy was not planned but was a nice surprise. I did not know how much is involved when diabetic and pregnant.

I am now 13 weeks, to be honest i was so scared i caused promblems due to not knowing i was not keeping sugars very well controlled drinking and not being a good diabetic.

I found out i was pregnant at 7 weeks and since then my life. Changed. I have struggled with getting sugars to below 5.8 pre meal and 7.8 post but through time help and support have slowly got there.

You will too and your baby will be fine. You must be positive eat well, test sugars and most important no stress. Happy mum = happy baby

My sugars are much better but on the odd occasion peak at 9-12 but the hospital team said your body is changing so its not your fault.

Remember its done now just concentrate on now and it will be ok. :)

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's aweful for them to say! Mine was uncontrolled at conception but the moment I found out I tried my hardest to keep them perfect which was hard for me as I've never been controlled. I had a healthy baby girl! She was in special care for a week after birth with low blood sugars but I was told a lot of babies to diabetic mothers have that!

I'm sure your baby is fine!! Don't let them worry you x

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I had a high hba1c with my first pregnancy (9.6) but found out pretty early into the pregnancy and got things under control straight away.Baby was fine. I looked at some research and with a hba1c around 10 there is a 1 in 9 chance of an adverse outcome. So 8 out of 9 pregnancies at this kind of hba1c will be fine! OK so one in nine is high, but does not mean doctors should be recommending abortion!

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes like everybody else on says be positive think good... I am 21 weeks pregnant and have seen some erratic sugar levels but the key is to just check as often as u can! Just put out all that high GI stuff and regularize meals, I know easier said than done but will save u from that worry !

All the ladies here who have had babies did your gyn ever tell you that it is crucial to have the baby by 39th week or else there can be some major complications? My gyn and endocrinologist have told this to me. I am keen on the natural birth process and don't want any induced Labour unless extremely essential.

Please do reply.. highly appreciate the support !

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar experience with you with my first pregnancy the dr was awful, I was devastated. I had a high hba1c, an unplanned pregnancy and lack of education about diabetes on pregnancy but went into have a healthy baby girl who is now a healthy 4 year olds.
Make sure your bloods are good now, take your higher dose if folic acid and vitamin d and you will be doing your absolute best for your baby. Have to add.. people without diabetes have problems too do even if you do experience any niggles its not fair of them to assume its because of diabetes! Good luck!

Type1insuliner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just found out I'm pregnant. I am type 1 Diabetic & have poor control over it.
The doctors at the hospital have said that if my blood sugars were high around time of conception, it will have damaged my baby.
My last HbA1c was done last year and was 10. they have done another now to see how they have been since then.
Since I found out I was pregnant I have been keepin my blood sugars as controlled as I can.

Has anyone else had high blood sugars around time of conception? And have the baby had any complications?

The doctors were talkin 2 me like a was a bad person & I will have to abort my baby coz its already gon be damaged.

Hi I'm a type 1 diabetic and tried to get my HBA1c down from 9.8 to 8.7 in 4 years so I can try for a baby, and I've still got a way to go to get it to 7!! How are you and your baby doing now?

Kindest Regards

Lizzie xx

Kate1912

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help I'm 33 weeks pregnant with type 1 diabetes and now my blood sugars will not go below 13 no matter what I do, has anyone else experienced this or an anyone help?
Thank you

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kate!

33 weeks is great you are almost there ! Talk to the doc but before you do..observe patterns check as much as you can and restrict your diet to 5 dishes or 7 maybe...and know how much insulin for each dish. Last bit gets quite crucial even in terms of baby weight so if you can exercise caution will go a long way ! Save that choc cake or cookie to have when you look at your baby !

Lastly be positive...take each day as one step and you ll be fine. Lots of good wishes ! Tc! Feel free to write back for any issues..I have a 7 month daughter now and am a type 1 on the pump for last 12 years. I totally understand what ur going through.