weight problems

ralf

Hi everyone
I have been a diabetic for 20 years i now take three injections of humalog 14 units breakfast 14 units dinner time and 12 units teatime and 40 units lantus before bed i also take 1 tablet of sitagiptin my problem is i keep putting on weight i can,t exersise
as i have had a stroke please help :(

ellecook79

Hi Ralf,

I am sorry that this is getting you down.

I had the same issues with weight gain.

The only way I have found to lose weight is by reducing my insulin and the only way that you can reduce insulin if you cannot exercise is by reducing your carbohydrate intake.

Do you carbohydrate count? It looks as though you may not as your insulin doses seem to be fixed.

I would approach your GP/ consultant and ask to be put on a carbohydrate course - this will mean that you can adjust your insulin to what you are eating and take control to lose weight.

This control should help you whether you choose to low carb like me or just choose to reduce your calories like many others. I just know that low carbing is the only thing that has helped for me. The first few days are hard but genuinely once you get into it your cravings/ hunger for carbs virtually disappear - it is the best diet I have ever tried.

The 5/2 diet is also meant to be very good (this is a diet where you consume 500 calories 2 days a week and eat a balanced diet the rest of the time). You would need to be careful again though as you would need to reduce your insulin on the fast days.

I woudn't worry about not being able to exercise - I have found that it is food consumption that is the major player in losing weight. Exercise has many health benefts but it is the food that you put in that really controls your weight.

Good luck!

ralf

Hi Ellecook79

I do not count carbs but i will try i have been on a low calorie diet and still put on weight i have been on the 4 injections a day for 6 weeks and put on 2lb i started on insulin about 8 years ago and have slowly put on weight my sugar levels are normal my Hab1c is 6.5

I am not sure how carb counting works but i am going to see my consultant thank for your feedback :clap: