Embarrassed at school?

Samantha98

I'm 15(on the 27th) and a 9th grader in school. Today during a low, I was shaking, crying, sweating, and eating m&ms and drinking juice. This was during choir and everyone just looked at me and laughed or talked about me. I called my mom in class too. Other students were saying things like what is she doing, how lame, eat the stupid candy(teachers comment), freak, and words that are censored on tv. I ended up leaving class. Has this happened to any one? :\

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For starters, yes it has happend to me. However, your need to arrange a privite meeting with your teacher (your parents need to speak to them). That comment was REALLY bad and has actually made me shake ( unless Im hypo :lol: ) . Kids are always like that, they are proberly jelous about you being able to eat in class and getting attention. I would of felt like hitting them- don't though. They proberly also thought you were crying over nothing. Next time this happends say stuff that sounds techi, such as-
" Oh my Insulin vile had a air bubble in it, my Blood Gloucose levels are out the roof my HBA1C is going to be higher!" Eventhough your Hypo and it will have the oppsite affect , they feel stupid because they don't know what your talking about. That's what I do. :)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it happened to me. Shaking, stuffing my mouth with sweets like crazy and ignoring people or even being rude. Crying happened as well. I fell so lost when i have hypo, cant think properly and feel like mad :?
I cant do much about this so I dont care what other people think. Im not going to explain everyone what the hypo is. I wouldnt leave your teacher's comment though. All teachers have first aid training and they are taught about diabetes. Maybe your teacher didnt do her studies properly!

RhiannaMorgan

I've never had anyone say anything (at least not to my face or that I've heard:p ) but I've had a few of my lecturers yell at me for having my meter out, thinking it was a phone...
can't believe your teacher said that! get your parents to have a meeting with them, you shouldn't have to put up with that :/ x

secret_witch

How awful! And yes it has happened to me twice. As it's been said before you need to get your parents, diabetic nurse/doctor/consultant in to educate the teachers and students in your school. What they did was completely unacceptable. What would have happened if you'd gone past being able to treat yourself? In to the state of wandering around, falling over etc etc (this was one of the things that happened to me).
I'm shocked that nobody came over to check if you were ok as a basic thing.

Chin up and get them sorted :D

janrick

Hi Samantha, I think it would be a good idea to ask your teacher if you would be able to address the class about diabeties. If you can explain a bit about the problem you will usually find more support instead of the silly remarks. Its just that they don't know why you sometimes act differently. Even you are new to this problem. Tell thel what a low actually is and how dangerous it can become if it isn't treated. I have been on Insulin for over 35 years. I was diagnosed as a late onset type 1 for my 40th birthday.
What a present. My son is one and I have two grandchildren also type 1s. The youngest is a girl of 15 same as you. She had to talk to her class and educate one of her teachers. She now has some understanding friends and a teacher who is willing to help.
Good luck kid. Those lucky ones who aren't diabetic need to learn about the problems you have, then the can even be helpers.
Regards, Janet

lynde89

I have had something similar. I was having a hypo between classes, as I went into the new classroom all wobbly I knocked the bin over & the teacher lost it. He started shouting at me even after I explained I was having a hypo & it was an accident. He ended up sending me out of the class on my own. I went to go get my bag which had my test kit & more sweets in it & he blocked the way & kicked me out. Luckily one of my friends grabbed my stuff for me & came to sit with me, after telling him again that I was low & shouldn't be in my own. He didn't care so she told him to stick it. We sat outside till the hypo was dealt with, he eventually came out to say we could come back in now. We tried to explain again, he wasn't interested, so I refused. Looking back I was pretty calm as would probably want to lash out at him or cry now.
He got a phone call from my parents that night & changed after that saying he didn't understand, sometimes I think they don't always believe the pupil. He also got a talking to from a few other of my teachers who walked past & came to check on me.
The best thing you can do is try to talk to them, or your parent or another teacher who understands, maybe your science or form tutor as they should know better? You can also sit down with them too. They need to know talking to you & about your diabetes in that way is unacceptable & they are not setting a good example.
I hope you get this sorted.

As an education worker, I would strongly recommend your parents contact the teacher concerned because that is disgraceful behaviour. They have a care of duty to ALL students, so to try and prevent you getting your kit to treat yourself could have had disasterous consequences. I hope you get a well deserved apology and you get an opportunity to educate your peers about your condition. God bless
x

vicky_l

I am horrified by the ignorance

would they ignore an asthmatic having an attack and refuse them medication of course not so why a diabetic I believe its ignorance as to the seriousness of the illness

grrr I really want to ring their beep necks and shake them into the real world

Hope you got support in dealing with the situation and that it will improve afterwards
xoxox

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Samantha
kids who don't understand something can be very cruel. as can some stupid unfeeling adults. One of your best weapons against this kind of behaviour is to explain clearly to some of your true friends, so you know you have support if you need it.
Kids are young and still learning about life, so there is a little excuse for them, but NONE for adults
hana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Samantha98 said:
I'm 15(on the 27th) and a 9th grader in school. Today during a low, I was shaking, crying, sweating, and eating m&ms and drinking juice. This was during choir and everyone just looked at me and laughed or talked about me. I called my mom in class too. Other students were saying things like what is she doing, how lame, eat the stupid candy(teachers comment), freak, and words that are censored on tv. I ended up leaving class. Has this happened to any one? :\

Oh Samantha can I give you a hug (((((((( ))))))))) what a horible horrible thing to have happened to you. Children can be so cruel and really don't get their brains into gear before they open their mouths. Have you talked to your parents or the school about the incident?

I tell my DD and her friends that if anyone is rude or makes a crass comment towards them I tell them to say " If brains were made of smarties, you wouldn't have enough to fill a tube" this would obviously be afterwards or maybe your best friend could say it for you. I'm sure a lot of this type of nastiness happens a lot in schools you only have to hear about facebook, which I am pleased to say,I do not have.

Take care with best wishes RRB

Sportlover

The same thing happens to me. I get frequent lows and i shake and start to cry. I am 14 a grade 8 and I am in a new school. I am also embarrassed to test and give injections so most i the time i forget or put it off until my blood sugar is too high or low. I was diagnosed a month ago and I already hve nerve damage in my ears and have lost alot of my hearing. Dont worry u arent alone. I am the only diabetic at my school and everyone laughs at me too. Especially because I have different classes and no everyone knows I'm diabetic.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Romavia,
Irrelevant to topic . Are you even legal over here? :evil:
Sam,
Seems like your class teacher could have given you some support, as it's the psychological, as well as the physiological hurts that affect us in life.

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
^^^how rude!!!

Hey Sam,

When I was younger my school arranged a "denim for diabetes" day in school, I'm not sure if they still do it, but my school took part and I went round the classes and explained what it was and how I look after it and what needs to be done when and if I hypo. It was great fun, everyone got to wear civvies to school and it got pupils involved so it didn't put all the focus on me alone.
You should see if your school will allow your class even to do a topic on it so people are more aware of your diabetes, maybe if they understand they'll lay off a bit!! Although I get that times have moved on and children aren't as receptive nowadays!! :(

alyssarose

Samantha

I agree with everyone else, that was unacceptable. At my school, I have told all the teachers about it and asked that if anything happens to do withdiabetes that they continue the lesson as usual, although there are a few teachers who don't understand. I normally go to my schools medical room if I have a hypo so that a similar situation to yours doesn't happen, and I always ask that someone accompanies me so that i'm not in any danger. I suggest you make sure that none of your teachers don't know about your diabetes, and tell any new teacher straight away.
I hope everything works out ok xx

John7956

Samantha, I think it is important that as many people know about someone having diabetes as possible so I tell everyone "new" I come into contact with purely for my sake - if I have a hypo, I want people to know it is that and be able to help as necessary.

With regards to your classmates - it may just be that they doesn't understand diabetes (lots of people don't) go and see if you can arrange for a professional to come in and discuss diabetes and what they should have done. They could technically (maybe) have put your life at risk by not doing anything and that is completely unacceptable. Even if someone just can over to see if they could help would be better as opposed to doing nothing!!

Sparklez

It hasn't happened to me but all my class members are really nice apart from one boy who called me fat because i was diabetic when I had lost 3kg in one month!! I have got my weight back but I still only weigh 30kg so it was really mean of him!! Ever happened to any one else x