Newcastle Diet

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
judithamilton said:
The only side effect was a few occasions on which my blood pressure plummeted and I keeled over, developing migraine immediately afterwards - both sorted out by cutting the blood pressure medication.

The original counterpoint study did say to consult the GP. Too low a BP wouldn't have been immediately obvious to me but obvious when it is pointed out.

All the same, well done!

Hope you weren't driving at the time :)

twinky

Just to say that you can order Slimfast from Boots online and was only £3 a tin.. and delivery was cheap.. I like Slimfast..
Very interested in the Newcastle diet. Can someone tell me where it says no full skimmed milk.. what do we make our Slimfast out of then... do you make it with water?
:)

drayman4

twinky said:
Just to say that you can order Slimfast from Boots online and was only £3 a tin.. and delivery was cheap.. I like Slimfast..
Very interested in the Newcastle diet. Can someone tell me where it says no full skimmed milk.. what do we make our Slimfast out of then... do you make it with water?
:)

I asked myself the same question. I'm using Tesco own and make it with skimmed milk, =202 calories.
I've tried Asda own which is made with water but doesn't taste as good.

The main thing is I'm seeing results, milk or not. I really would give the diet a go if you are interested :thumbup:

drayman4

I asked myself the same question. I'm using Tesco own and make it with skimmed milk, =202 calories.
I've tried Asda own which is made with water but doesn't taste as good.

I've just been in Asda and it looks like they've withdrawn it from sale in powder form

DaveNN

drayman4 said:
Day 20 and 1st 8lb lost. My finger prick blood test was 4.7 three hours after breakfast which I am happy with. :D

Off to Boots' now.
Will give this a go for a month and see how I get on.....

22lb is a hell of a result.

Why originate, when I can imitate?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean..
"Primarni" very popular right now:lol:

DaveNN

MCMLXXIII said:
I know what you mean..
"Primarni" very popular right now:lol:

Well...after being told to foxtrot Oscar by jacamo, I can only dream of getting into a pair of 34" waist, £6.00 Primani jeans..
Just been to Boots and had a looksy at the stuff in that is contained the 321 shakes.... Mmmmm!
Will see if I can replicate your efforts with Nesqik....or just to milk coffee, no sugar and skimmed milk.

What I as surprised about was that even Boots' flog " diabetic" food stuffs!

I still buy the Asda shakes they do come in powder form still only caffe latte, choc and strawberry they also have the ready made shakes and the vanilla is lovely

I was away for Easter and found it really hard have lost 12.5lb so far nearly at a stone hoping I can make it by the end if the week :)

Nike69

I would like to see the content of those sachets...... quick fix is always a short fix in my opinion. Eat less, eat healthy and exercise. No one can give you a diet in a packet. A diet comes from inside you, it comes from deeply wanting to make a change, when you really want it you will make the change. Do the research / reading. Start with this it may open your eyes very very wide as it did mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Out-Sim ... 0517886537

drayman4

Good luck DaveNN

I exercise at the gym as well as the diet to lose weight this quick though.
I walked ten miles to meet my other half out of work today.

Nike69

Yes these shakes are a quick fix, its 8 weeks that will hopefully change the rest of my life. I hope to keep the weight off by eating healthily after the diet and to never touch another shake again.

DaveNN

drayman4 said:
Good luck DaveNN

I exercise at the gym as well as the diet to lose weight this quick though.
I walked ten miles to meet my other half out of work today.

Nike69

Yes these shakes are a quick fix, its 8 weeks that will hopefully change the rest of my life. I hope to keep the weight off by eating healthily after the diet and to never touch another shake again.

Cheers...
I'm lucky enough to have a decent gym set up at home and I use it every other day or so.
But I MUST start my walking again, which I do really enjoy.
I fully understand the reason for you using whatever trick you can to get the lbs off and the more you shift, the harder it will be to pile it back on!

twinky

to be honest I did give it a go when it was first mentioned on here and I did lose weight and my sugar was steady and low.. it was amazing but as always something comes along to pull the rug from under you. At the time I did the diet I wondered about the 'no skimmed milk' but I did it anyway with skimmed milk and it seemed fine. I made my tomato soup and stuck to it. I tested myself out after I'd been on it 6 weeks by eating a large chocolate bar and it made no difference to my sugar.. At the time i was attending a dietician and gave her my results which she recorded with enthusiasm. The reason to eat the chocolate was because I treated like an experiment to see if it had really had some effect.. I did it for 6 weeks at that time. I am not a chocoholic so not that i crave that.. I think Christmas came along and I have one daughter that doesn't take my problem seriously sometimes so gives me things i shouldn't have.
I guess I'll stick to using the skimmed milk then and thanks for that answer. Thanks Drayman4 for your answer.. I should have mentioned that i'd had a go I guess.. but was the milk issue i wanted info on .. :)

drayman4

Day 28 of 56 (halfway) and I've lost 2 stones so far.

I did something a bit silly yesterday, I pushed myself to the limit by running 16Km (10 miles) on the treadmill in 1hr 40 mins. Not bad for an obese 47 year but got a lot of grief from family over it. Four weeks ago I was steadily jogging/walking for 15 minutes although I did get fit a year ago then stopped training.

Just before lunch my Bg was 4.2 and my blood pressure normal, I've taken myself off all medication (7 items a day, 2 for diabetes, 4 for blood pressure and 1 for cholesterol), another sore point with my family.

I'm not missing food at all and finding the diet quite easy now but will also be pleased when it is over. I expect to finish the diet around 14 stone and intent to eat healthily and wisely afterwards to reach a healthy weight below 12st 6lb. (Ideal weight 11 stone) I'll be happy with 12st 6lb.

I was diagnosed 11 years ago and don't know whether I will be diabetes free after the diet but I intend to keep up the exercise and eat healthily for the rest of my life and not return to the ways of junk food, takeaways and guzzling beer like it's gone out of fashion which got me in this mess.

I've got the blood test for my annual diabetic review coming up next week so aim to make the appointment to see the nurse in week 6 or 7. I did not seek medical advice before starting the diet so it will be interesting to see what she says.

Lolagirl

Well done drayman4 you are doing really well. My doctor has suggested this diet to me and I am very tempted to give it a go. I have lost 2st so far but I've stalled recently. Still have 5st to go.....

drayman4

Lolagirl said:
Well done drayman4 you are doing really well. My doctor has suggested this diet to me and I am very tempted to give it a go. I have lost 2st so far but I've stalled recently. Still have 5st to go.....

I'd give it a go, especially as your doctor has suggested it, you are newly diagnosed and its better than taking the medication route

Lolagirl

My doc saw some great results on a man who had been T2 for years and was about to go on to insulin. After 8 weeks he is completely free of his meds. I was only diagnosed in January and I'm trying to stay off meds as much as possible. Will definitely look into it some more. Thank you and good luck.

A

Anonymous

Nike69 said:
I would like to see the content of those sachets...... quick fix is always a short fix in my opinion. Eat less, eat healthy and exercise. No one can give you a diet in a packet. A diet comes from inside you, it comes from deeply wanting to make a change, when you really want it you will make the change. Do the research / reading. Start with this it may open your eyes very very wide as it did mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Out-Sim ... 0517886537

I agree about 'sachets'. I have never met anyone who has been able to return to a normal diet afterwards without piling the weight on again. Where I would disagree with you is eating less. I was 18st, stopped drinking and started to eat 5 times a day (snacks mid-morning and afternoon). I lost 4st in 6 months at about 1lb a week ... took around 3 weeks for the weight loss to begin and there were a couple of plateaux periods which were frustrating. However, I would have been more concerned to have burned 5lb of fat in three days!

I eat 'normal' meals and snacks and sufficiently frequently to stave off starvation and temptation. Four hours between refuelling is too long. I think the odd alcohol would have been fine, but I found it easier not to have any!! I drank tomato juice or soda water with fresh fruit rather than J2Os and that awful plastic, concentrated lime juice. Once I reached my target weight of 13.5st I have remained there for three years. I never eat food from packets but eat just about anything. It's the only weight loss that has worked for me in the long-term, having previously 'forked out' on the magic shakes and bars etc.

However, I wish people well on the Newcastle Diet and it will be interesting to see where some of them are in a year or so.

drayman4

I tried losing weight last spring and lost 3 stones, I started exercising and cut out the beer. Then came the holiday season and the warm weather followed by Christmas and by February I'd put all but half stone back on.

It's the lifestyle that's my enemy, beer and junk food. The Newcastle diet commits you to eight weeks without beer and I intend to keep that change, even after the diet I will still be overweight and will need to control food and exercise. I've heard that eating small portions more often is better for you and I've read the theory behind it, it makes sense but it's not so easy when your job entails periods of 5 hour or more without a break.